PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys I lied

Mark
December 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
A while back I said between my Strat and Es335 Im done buyin guitars.....well I am done buyin em...but Im building this sooooo technically Im not buying a guitar Im buying parts and making a guitar! Boy if that aint spinning things LOL.
Well just got my Tele body this is my first Tele and first guitar build. Its USACG Swamp ash body the neck (not here yet) will be Flame maple vintage tint got her all stained up today. Will be doing a nice wipe on PolyU topcoat. Im interested in opinions on pickguards. Im torn between parchment white of black mother of toilet seat. Man I cannot wait for the neck to get here!!!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/Amp%20Build/?action=view&current=DSC00797.jpg

Spudman
December 4th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Ooo la la! I hope the dog isn't the one who stained that for you.:D

That is a nice looking piece of wood and it sounds like the neck is awesome too. So it's ok because technically...you're just building it.;)

Robert
December 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM
You LIAR!!!! :)

We'll allow it for this time since you are putting it together yourself.

;)

tot_Ou_tard
December 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I am so in awe of you guyz who build your own guitars n' amps! Keep it up!!!

sunvalleylaw
December 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I am so in awe of you guyz who build your own guitars n' amps! Keep it up!!!

Yes, and keep sharing the pics of the results too! It's great to watch.

Mark
December 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
New pix added!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Bigredhog/Amp%20Build/?action=view&current=Dsc00800.jpg

A little background, I first stained it in colonial pine then sanded back to wood this darkened my grain and edges. I then stained it in Vermont Maple and I purposely made the edges super dark to highlight the front and back.
I then let the stain dry for 24 hours. Then hit it ever so lightly will 0000 steel wool.

In these new pics I got my first three light coats of fast dry PolyU on she will now cure for three days. These light coats are to protect the stain from smearing when I do the wipe on poly. After the curing I will do a light sanding followed by multiple coats of wipe on poly. I will probably do 5-10 coats I have to see how it looks as I go along, this is my first time doing this so Im learning. Im really pleased how it coming along so far plus its a lot of fun! I really cant wait to plug it in....I really really cant.....building guitars teaches you patience thats for sure

elavd
December 6th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Great job Mark!!! Keep us informed!!! ;)

PS: the wood has perfect grain pattern! If I were you, I would probably choose a lighter color. Maybe a transparent vintage white :D
But this can be done on your next lie/project :D:D

Mark
December 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Actually I considered a lighter finish but I wanted something a little different and in all honesty the pics dont do it justice. The grain is very much apparent in person not as much so in a lighter finish but the pix are a bit decieving. The pickguard is going to be parchment color and with the amber tint flame neck Im hopeing the stark contrasts will highlight the grain even more. But your right there will be another project/lie LOL. Im learning this is quite a project the requires lots of planning and patience with the payoff being music to my ears.