PDA

View Full Version : How to sharpen your picks on the carpet...

Algonquin
December 27th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Saw this video and decided to give it a go myself to see the results... not too shabby! I've was able to smooth out the sides of my Jazz III picks which had some knicks on them as well, so I'm glad I stumbled across this little tip!

http://www.youtube.com/user/bryanaspey#p/c/8/zyYKT0SzrBo
Cheers :beer:
David

Spudman
December 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Well...that certainly explains why the bottom of my shoes keep wearing out.

Tig
December 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Well...that certainly explains why the bottom of my shoes keep wearing out.

Attach worn picks to you shoe soles and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :thwap

markb
December 28th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Does it help you to cut through the mix? :)

Spudman
December 28th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Does it help you to cut through the mix? :)

You might have a point there

Bookkeeper's Son
December 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM
No, but it might help you cut through the carpet.

marnold
December 28th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I just tried it with an old well-worn Fender medium. Worked very nicely!

Spudman
December 28th, 2011, 03:42 PM
No, but it might help you cut through the carpet.

Let me get this straight...we'd be cutting a rug?

player
December 28th, 2011, 11:36 PM
poses a slight problem if the place is all tiled.nuff said,good idea though.

deeaa
January 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Hm. Fun, but not suitable for me. My picks are usually worn all the way to the Dunlop text, i.e. they've become more like round instead of triangular in no time at all.
I wish they made a pick that would last at least a better number of hours before it becomes nigh unusable.

They do develop these burrs quite easily, the tip quickly wears to this chevron shape when viewed from the tip down, with long burrs extending from both edges. Carpet would likely remove that real easily, but I'd have to do it every 15 minutes of playing...and also, I never see carpets like that round here. Wall-to-wall carpets are just not used here at all, we for instance only have a few small linen small carpets in a few rooms, people prefer plain wood or stone or whatever floors, no carpets. I don't understand how do you manage to keep a wall-to-wall carpet anywhere sanitary anyway, even with small rugs it's such a pain to wash them twice a year and beat and vacuum them twice a day...can't even begin to think how much work it would be to keep a carpet the size of the entire floor sanitary.

Spudman
January 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I just tried this with 2 thin (.60 & .73) picks. WOW! All it took was 1 sweeping arc on each side of the pick and not only is the point very sharp and pointy, but the nicks on the edges are gone too. Very cool trick. Thanks for posting this.:AOK

Commodore 64
January 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Same here. Amazing how fast that works. Now to mount a piece of carpet to the pickholder on my mic stand!

cebreez
January 22nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
So thats what that guy was doing back there behind the amp! I hope....