PDA

View Full Version : Help with timing and rythm

Hampus
January 2nd, 2012, 03:06 PM
I have a problem with timing and rythm. Sometimes I find myself singing along to a song without a problem, but as soon as think about what I'm doing, I'm off. Even when trying to sing along to a song that i know I miss the beats. Naturally, I have the same problem when playing. Any suggestions on how to improve?

/Hampus

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
The only thing I can suggest is good old woodshedding with a metronome or looper pedal, and basic rhythm exercises maybe even before that to practice. With the looper, you can load a long you are learning, and slow it down until you can get it right by playing along with the slowed down version. You can do this on a computer too. Hope that helps!

jpfeifer
January 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Try singing along with some of your favorite songs and slapping out a drum beat on your knees, even just a simple beat. When you can feel it inside you don't have to think about it so much. This will find it's way into your playing.

--Jim

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2012, 11:33 PM
Oh yeah, that is a good idea. And you can do that in the car as you drive tapping on the steering wheel or if it is safe to take on hand off, moving your thumb and forefinger over the seam of your pant as though you were holding a pick, in time with the music, while singing along. Spud told me that one. If you want to get real fancy, you can tap out the rhythm with your left foot, especially if you are driving an automatic.

oldguy
January 3rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
Good ideas.

You might also try listening to a slow/medium tempo tune with more emphasis on the drums and bass.

That will make the tempo more obvious, then you can tap your foot, snap you fingers, etc. along with the beat.

Once that becomes second nature, and you're not even thinking about it, your timing will improve.

Hampus
January 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the advice all. I'll do that at work, maybe not the singing, but listening to music and beating. I've had thoughts of buying a metronome in the past (long ago), but always thought it was a boring thing to spend money on. Now I just downloaded an app for the phone. Been playing with it today between making dinner and watching the baby and I can hear/feel a difference already. I just strummed the muted strings, 1/4, then 1/8 and then 1/16 changing back and forth. Then went on to playing scales to the metronome.

Still don't have it in the body though but will keep working.

/Hampus