PDA

View Full Version : Hagstrom pups

Hampus
January 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Hey!

What's the difference between the HJ-50 (supposedly made for large hollow bodies) and the custom 58 pick ups? I know that the viking comes with the 50's and the swede with the 58s, but there is a viking called Viking Rex Tone that comes with the 58s and the same filter switch found on some swedes. So what do the 58s sound like in a viking?

/Hampus

sunvalleylaw
January 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Boy, I don't know. Never seen or heard the '58s. I have the HJ-50s in mine, which are warm humbuckers on the darker side, but have no experience with the others.

I discuss my thoughts on the pups here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/9125-Hagstrom-Viking-Standard-Review?highlight=hagstrom+Viking

And I know Robert has some reviews and vids out there. He also has a Swede. I am not sure what pups come in that one.

mapka
January 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I got a Swede that I am changing out the 58's in. Swede is mahogany body so it is dark and IMHO the stock pups didn't have enough tone for my liking. Tone pots always seemed to be on 10 and the guitar still sounded darker then my Les Paul. They are also not a very hot pickup. Again playing it and either my Les Paul (hot 490/500 pups) or my Tele (Wilde Keystone pups) through the same amp at the same time (Fender Blues Deluxe) it had a hard time matching the volume.

Hampus
January 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Boy, I don't know. Never seen or heard the '58s. I have the HJ-50s in mine, which are warm humbuckers on the darker side, but have no experience with the others.

I discuss my thoughts on the pups here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/9125-Hagstrom-Viking-Standard-Review?highlight=hagstrom+Viking

Also, last I knew, the Hagstrom site had clips for their guitars if you can find one with the other pups in them to compare.

And I know Robert has some reviews and vids out there. He also has a Swede. I am not sure what pups come in that one.

That's a nice guitar and good review!

I watched Robrt's videos and he seemed to like the pups in the Swede. It would be interesting to hear what they sound like in the Viking though.

/Hampus