PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Volcano Quick Test

marnold
January 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I had an opportunity to get my hands on a Reverend Volcano in black yesterday. The Volcano is their Gibson-esque V. I didn't get to plug it in, but I wanted to get an overall feel for it. One thing that floored me was how light it was. We're talking feather-light. You could have the worst back problems in the world and play this comfortably all night. I was concerned about neck thickness (I prefer thinner shredder-style necks) but that wouldn't have been a problem. It desperately needed a setup to get rid of some of the relief. It was easy enough to play sitting down without fear of it falling. The jack is on the bottom of the bottom wing so you could play with it plugged in. Between the lightness and the Gibson scale length, it was almost like I was playing a miniature guitar. I don't think the black gloss finish would work with me for a couple of reasons. The fingerprints would drive me crazy. The glossy clear coat on the neck is fine in these dry winters but it would drive me nuts once things get humid again. My only complaint about the quality was that it looked like the block inlays were not put in with a lot of care. I don't know if that would be noticed from a distance. The price was certainly right. The normal price was $799 but they were offering 30% off which would make it about $560.

All told I liked it but it had enough quirks that I think I'd pass.

I had never been to this shop before because it's over 1.5 hours from where I live. They had an impressive selection of Jacksons, including some Soloists I had never seen before for very reasonable prices. If I had not just bought a bass, they had a used red Spector NS2000/4 in very nice condition for $350. Neck-through, carved top, brass nut. Not sure if I would have liked the EMG-HZs with the TonePump any more than I liked my old purely passive EMG-SSDs.