PDA

View Full Version : First lesson

Tynee
January 5th, 2012, 08:05 AM
So, I bought my guitar roughly 4 years ago already. Was fired up to learn to play it. Then the kid got a little older and required more attention, then we added a second kid, then I got additional responsibilities at work, and I had plenty of excuses not to learn anything but a few chords, and the basic melody of the intro to Wish You Were Here.

That all changes tonight. I've got my first formal lesson. It's a group lesson at the local YMCA. I'm not sure how I'll do in the group setting, but we'll see. I figure it's going to be like high school band all over again. If the group lesson works out well, I'll decide whether I want to pursue the more advanced group lessons that are also available, or shell out for individual instruction. I figure this is the most budget friendly way to add a little structure to my attempt to learn how to play the guitar.

R_of_G
January 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Good luck to you Tynee. I hope the lesson experience brings you something positive on which to base further growth with your playing. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Eric
January 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
That's cool. Lessons are a really great thing if you get a good instructor. Heck, even if the instructor is only average it's still an incredibly useful thing, particularly to help get your feet under you when you're starting out. Good luck and keep at it. It's a lot of fun once it (finally, if you're anything like me) clicks.

Jipes
January 6th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Enjoy it and keep your ears open to all music it will surely help you along the way ! Remember to stop practising when you get bored, music should be a pleasure before anything else

Tynee
January 6th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks, guys. Had a good time at the lesson last night. About a dozen in the room. 4 guys my age or older with about 8 kids ranging between 12 an 15 YO. Instructor is a former professional musician who is now a professional guitar instructor. It's all he does, as far as I can tell. High energy, laid back but professional. His braids kinda threw me, a little distracting at first, but I got used to it.

He's not one for perfect form and lots of theory, etc. He feels like if you aren't learning to play something you can recognize as a song, then you're going to get bored and give up very quickly. That philosophy fits well with my goals for the class. My only complaint was that there was a whole lot more talking/explaining how the class is going to work than I would have liked in a 50 minute session.

He did get us started with a quick finger exercise for our fret hand and a couple of picking/strumming patterns, so I'll work on those until next week. I'm looking forward to next week, and hoping for more instruction with less discussion.