PDA

View Full Version : Live Music 2012 - Track Your Shows Here

R_of_G
January 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I thought it might be interesting if we kept a list of live shows we see this year. 2011 was a down year for me as far as quantity of shows, but the ones I did see were quite good. I'm looking forward to more live music in 2012.

First up on the horizon is Sleigh Bells on February 4th here in Tampa. We saw them last spring in St. Petersburg and they were awesome. They have a new album due out February 14 and unlike many bands who play Florida infrequently at best, Sleigh Bells is doing a Florida-Only tour for February. Take that other 49 states!

kidsmoke
January 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
How 'bout parameters? If they charge admission it counts? I see lots of shows, but for most of 'em I flash an ID and get a rubber stamp on the back of my hand. Ticketmaster doesn't get much in the way of fees from me.

Coming up: Stanley Jordan, Eric Bibb, David Bromberg, Willy Porter

Eric
January 5th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I might go see The Darkness in early February. Guess it depends on scheduling of a trip to Ye Olde Canadia.

R_of_G
January 5th, 2012, 04:35 PM
How 'bout parameters? If they charge admission it counts? I see lots of shows, but for most of 'em I flash an ID and get a rubber stamp on the back of my hand. Ticketmaster doesn't get much in the way of fees from me.

Coming up: Stanley Jordan, Eric Bibb, David Bromberg, Willy Porter

Free shows can count too. I suppose parameters are up to the individual (ie. if you saw and want to put it on your list, on it goes). I've seen some great shows for free (John Scofield, Stanley Clarke, etc) and they'd definitely go on my list for those years.

Radioboy950
January 5th, 2012, 08:42 PM
So far, I have tickets for Raphael Saadiq/Lenny Kravitz (Jan 30)...Glen Campbell (May 11).
RHCP are on my radar. Two dozen U-S shows already set, so I'm thinking spring for Detroit.
Look forward to posting as the year goes on.

Tig
January 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
We have tickets for the Tedeschi Trucks Band January 20th, so I'll update this post afterward.

R_of_G
January 6th, 2012, 04:30 PM
We have tickets for the Tedeschi Trucks Band January 20th, so I'll update this post afterward.

Looking forward to your thoughts on that show. We couldn't fit the December St. Pete show into our budget which was a shame because I love the new band/album as well as so much each of them has done previously. No way that's anything but a great show.

I'm just hoping more bands fit Florida into their schedule this year. Several bands/artists I like either put out albums late last year or are doing so early this year and should be touring behind them. I'm hoping some come this way.

Tig
January 11th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Mrs. T got 2 tickets to see Brad Paisley in March. We have a giant rodeo here each year and the tickets sell quickly, but a coworker has an pre-sale source.
It should be a great show.

Tig
January 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM
We saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band last night, and as expected, they honored Etta with a cover of "I'd Rather Go Blind". It was one of the highlights of the evening, to say the least. Susan belted out some very soulful, passionate singing that could put tears in your eyes as she sung to Derek.

Incredible concert from row 16 center. The band was having a great time and sounded fabulous. Loose and flexible, yet tight in execution. No weaknesses. The level of soul coming from this group was impressive.

The horn section was blazing and a big part of boosting the entertainment. Derek's gifted playing is nearly indescribable. His ability to create beautiful melodies with the smoothest, quickest slide in the business is something every guitarist should see in person. Susan's voice was passionate and she connected with the music all night. She also had some really hot solos, and the highlight was when she and Derek traded solos. Derek is fairly introverted, letting his playing do the talking, but he would start beaming when Susan or one of the band was tearing up a solo.

R_of_G
January 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
That's awesome Tig. I played for a few hours last night and played along with "I'd Rather Go Blind" three or four times. Always my favorite of her recordings. I'm sure Derek, Susan and Co. did a great cover.

Tig
January 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM
You know, I wasn't expecting too much. There was only one Etta, and trying to cover her usually doesn't work for most. However, they did a great job of honoring her, the song, and still made it their own. This was especially good considering they learned the news just a few hours earlier in the day.

Derek split his time between his vintage 1961 SG and a Les Paul into two Super Reverbs with no effects.

not my photos, but from last night...

http://www.charlesdaughtry.com/Guitars/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Concert/i-N9rq4Lk/0/XL/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Houston-XL.jpg
http://www.charlesdaughtry.com/Guitars/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Concert/i-WkBpKN2/0/XL/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Houston-XL.jpg
http://www.charlesdaughtry.com/Guitars/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Concert/i-5fNWbbh/0/XL/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Houston-XL.jpg

kidsmoke
February 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Last thursday I was able to see one of my personal faves, a guy by the name of Willy Porter. I've mentioned him before here. He's known as a stellar fingerstyle player, who in recent years has really grown into an impressive songwriter. I've been catching him live for 20 years now. He "broke" with a modest FM radio hit in '92 called "angry words" which was a full band rocker. In recent years I've mostly caught him solo (fantastic solo live album "high wire live" came out along the way.) Occasionally with just a percussionist.

After returning to a full band album "how to rob a bank" in 2009, he's now taken a new approach; playing with an impressive renowned classical string ensemble known as "carpe diem". They are essentially re-arranging songs from his considerable repertoire, with him playing acoustic and singing, but able to let the 2 violins, viola and cello provide some of the wall of sound he's known for. (dudes stellar with a looper)

I was really looking forward to this, and honestly, while technically flawless, I don't feel it added to the presentation in fact, the opposite. I suspect it's awesome for HIM to be able to hear something other than himself for a change, and certainly, these people are amazing musicians, but I really didn't experience the songs in a new way....and I'm a very open minded guy when it comes to reinterpreting etc.

Still, cool show, great music, and it could evolve. I still say Willy is ALWAYS worth the price of admission, in any manifestation. They are just getting started. I should mention, when playing together, they are known as "the Mealies"

here's the band (iPhone pic, I beg your forgiveness) taken with permission, no flash.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo1-1.jpg

additionally, I picked up a copy of the 2009 album, which I'd only downloaded initially. I got a kick out of his approach to the pirating issue so hot these days. Read the fine print....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo3-1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo2.jpg

kidsmoke
February 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
not my photos, but from last night...

http://www.charlesdaughtry.com/Guitars/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Concert/i-N9rq4Lk/0/XL/Tedeschi-Trucks-Band-Houston-XL.jpg

LOVE that OUR idols have there own guitars autographed by their idols. A big reason why these guys are as good as they are. Humility. They are fans first.

kidsmoke
February 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM
The night after I saw Willy, I was back at the same venue to catch a guy whom, I'm ashamed to say, I knew by reputation and recommendation only, Joe Henry.
What I'm about to do, I don't do lightly, and I mean it. OMG. I was speechless, Inspired, and discouraged all at once. This man is a true troubador. A storyteller like few I've ever heard, and a voice that sneaks up on you to reveal it's absolute excellence. Imagine...bear with me...Tom Waits able to sing like Harry Connick Jr, but in the way that you'd imagine HCJ singing to his 3yr old daughter at bedtime. Perfect pitch....lingering lyrical notes....low volume....impactful...

I was/am embarrassed that I wasn't familiar previously. I am instantly and ravenously a fan now. R_of_G, I saw that you posted "scar" on the now playing forum. Ironic. I'd welcome your review of the artist and his body of work here.

Another guy I've mentioned on the forum before, a good friend, instructor, and a stellar singer songwriter who hails originally from Haley Idaho, Steve Dawson had the privilege of interviewing JH for a rag here in Chicago as part of the advance press. I'm including a link to that interview as well.

Here's Joe.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo4-2.jpg

here's the article

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/joe-henry-interviewed-by-steve-dawson/Content?oid=5484730

Tomorrow night: Stanley Jordan! I'm responsible for staffing, so I'm assured at least an Introduction. Looking forward to it!

R_of_G
February 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
TK - You're getting to see some great shows.

I'm only familiar with Willy Porter by name, but I will have to look into some of his recordings. Interesting that he is currently playing as a guitarist (who is a genius with a looping pedal) backed by a string section. That's something Bill Frisell has done periodically, and like Porter, sometimes in these settings he presents different arrangements of his existing material. The results vary for me. Sometimes I love it, sometimes not so much.

Joe Henry is someone I've only gotten into in the last year or so. Incidentally, he played two shows this week with Marc Ribot opening for him (and joining Henry for part of his set). Marc has played on some of Henry's work (notably Scar). It was really that album that made Henry a necessity for me to look into. If you're going to get Ornette Coleman, Marc Ribot, Brian Blade and Brad Mehldau to play on your album, you'll get me to listen.

Henry is unique in a way that may only apply to guys like Tom Waits. He can give you a song in pretty much any style he chooses and it comes off as authentic as opposed to just being a genre-chameleon. I still need to get much of his back catalog, but the albums I do have (Scar, Fuse, and Reverie) are all excellent.

One final note, did you know Joe Henry is Madonna's brother-in-law? He's been with her sister since the 80s. She's even covered one of his songs.

R_of_G
February 5th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Holy tinitus Batman! Sleigh Bells were even louder than the last time I saw them.

Part of that was due to them being on tour with black-metal band Liturgy. One of their guitar players joined Derek & Alexis on stage for the entire show. If I thought Derek Miller was shrederific on the guitar before, having a second guitar player to play off of upped the ante exponentially.

By my count they played four songs from the forthcoming album, two of which had been released via streaming in the past few weeks, two of which I'd not heard until tonight. All four were good and involved plenty of guitar.

Singer Alexis Krauss is one of the most amazing personalities I've ever seen front a band. In the many shows I've seen over the years, I'd put her on stage charisma up there with performers like Jagger and Sharon Jones. You just cannot take your eyes off of her no matter how hard you try. In fairness though, I didn't try very hard because in addition to being a great singer and stage personality, she also happens to be gorgeous. She's a bad-mofo too. Twice during the show she dove into the crowd to surf the front few rows and kept singing throughout. At one point when she had made it back up to the front a roadie tried to help her back onto the stage. She shoved him away and dove back into the crowd. Never missed a note.

The show seemed a little shorter than the last one, but they played as many songs, or so I think. Either way, it was a great show and I am looking forward to the release of the album in a few weeks. My ears will be ringing for a few weeks probably, but it was worth it.

Eric
February 8th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I might go see The Darkness in early February. Guess it depends on scheduling of a trip to Ye Olde Canadia.
Saw The Darkness last night. Awesome show. Openers were Crown Jewel Defense and Foxy Shazam.

Crown Jewel Defense = Awful. They should not be allowed on stage. Horrible songs, horrible guitar tones, annoying front man, bad singing. Some interesting guitar riffs and solos, but just truly wretched as a band.

Foxy Shazam = Crazy. The lead singer was jumping around everything and the band basically destroyed their stuff at the end of the set. Good songs though; I'd like to look up their recorded stuff. A little bit too crazy to really focus on the music, but it sounded pretty good.

Darkness = Awesome. Justin Hawkins seemed kind of checked out at the beginning, but once he got going it was a really, really fun show. He was a tad sloppy on some of his guitar work, but the rest of the band was very tight. Lots of histrionics, but that's half the attraction. I've only seen a band win over the room like that maybe a couple of times before, and it makes for a great show.

deeaa
February 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Foxy is an awesome singer to say the least. I have listened to two albums off Spotify, the previous one with the 'Oh Lord' hit song etc. is quite a trip, the newer one I haven't gotten into as much, much more normal rock music. But the first one...boy that dude can sing!!! And pretty awsum songs too.

The problem with dem bands is there is just too much to listen. Today I listened to some Fair to Midland and that (new?) album arrows and something sure sounds just like what I dig. I listened to the first 4 songs twice, have to remember to get back to them some day. But then again I have a huge list of bands I know I'll like immensely...they keep popping up faster than I can find them on Spotify, so often I never check back on the same band again. At least have to listen to Djerv and Blanko and Max Raptor some, and I kinda feel like I need to check out the new Van Halen out too.

Probably never will find the time to listen to all of them at least all of the songs, but that's what Spotify is great for...no need to buy the albums.

Fair to Midland however sounds so impressive I might have to try and find their shirt or something.

Eric
February 8th, 2012, 10:37 AM
The problem with dem bands is there is just too much to listen. Today I listened to some Fair to Midland and that (new?) album arrows and something sure sounds just like what I dig. I listened to the first 4 songs twice, have to remember to get back to them some day. But then again I have a huge list of bands I know I'll like immensely...they keep popping up faster than I can find them on Spotify, so often I never check back on the same band again. At least have to listen to Djerv and Blanko and Max Raptor some, and I kinda feel like I need to check out the new Van Halen out too.
I'd like to try Spotify at some point; it seems like a great idea.

I know what you mean about almost having too much good music though. I've been through that, and the conclusion I came to is that while I may want to fight the corporate powers by listening to and seeing all great bands, no matter how publicized, I can get myself too worked up about it. Now I just listen to something when it comes my way, and if I like it I'll listen to it some more. For instance, I was really into Rose Hill Drive for a few months over the summer after someone here mentioned them, but I haven't listened to them in awhile now. No biggie -- if I remember them later, it will just be more good music.

Is it a shame for the bands that I'm such a fickle fan? Maybe, but it's better than being miserable and cynical, which is what I can become if I get too entrenched.

bcdon
February 11th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Saw The JayHawks (http://www.jayhawksofficial.com/) last night and they were just terrible. I got the tickets in an auction so never heard of the band before but I wasn't very impressed. Each song sounded the same and the lead singer had a horrible voice. I like all kinds of music but this band didn't do a thing for me.

Eric
February 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Saw The JayHawks (http://www.jayhawksofficial.com/) last night and they were just terrible. I got the tickets in an auction so never heard of the band before but I wasn't very impressed. Each song sounded the same and the lead singer had a horrible voice. I like all kinds of music but this band didn't do a thing for me.
Really? I saw them last fall around here and they were great. It was my first time seeing them, but I thought they sounded really good and it was a fun concert. I should note that I'm a huge fan of theirs, so I think I had every song pretty much memorized. That makes a big difference for me in how enjoyable a concert is. My wife went with me and though she didn't know that much of their material, she also thought it was a really good show.

That said, I can't think of a band more opposite of your musical preferences, at least based on what I've seen here. The Jayhawks are rootsy country rock, and you tend to like modern metal, so I guess maybe that could have something to do with it. Of course, it's always possible you just saw them on a bad night. Bummer either way, I guess.

R_of_G
February 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I've never seen the Jayhawks, but I have the majority of their albums and enjoy their music quite a bit. I'm not the biggest fan of Mark Olson as a singer in general, but his voice fits their music well.

bcdon
February 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
That said, I can't think of a band more opposite of your musical preferences, at least based on what I've seen here. The Jayhawks are rootsy country rock, and you tend to like modern metal, so I guess maybe that could have something to do with it. Of course, it's always possible you just saw them on a bad night. Bummer either way, I guess.

I like all sorts of music, well, except for RAP (even then I like the old stuff and Cypress Hill) so that isn't the issue. My wife went with me as well and she was harsher on them than I. Sure, they might have had an off night but I can generally find something in a performance to like. They just didn't do it for me. No worries, to each his own.

bcdon
February 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
A few weeks ago I saw Khatia Buniatishvili (http://www.khatiabuniatishvili.net/) at The Chan Centre (http://www.chancentre.com/whats-on/khatia-buniatishvili-piano). For such a young lady, she put on a fantastic show.
Uvc3OA-hrMM

marnold
February 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper are going to be at Summerfest in Milwaukee on July 4. I am endeavoring to get tickets.

bcdon
February 21st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper are going to be at Summerfest in Milwaukee on July 4. I am endeavoring to get tickets.
Summerfest is a blast. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

marnold
March 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Well, it's official! My son and I and three friends are going to see Maiden! Unfortunately, one of them dragged his feet and so we are in the bleachers instead of undercover. Hopefully there's not a torrential downpour. Found out that Orianthi is Alice Cooper's lead guitarist for this tour! Should be pretty fretteriffic.

bcdon
March 11th, 2012, 02:05 PM
My wife just got us tickets to Van Halen in May. Can't wait! :dude Oddly enough, Kool and The Gang are their opening act.

GCFDo1I0QIM

R_of_G
March 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
My wife just got us tickets to Van Halen in May. Can't wait! :dude Oddly enough, Kool and The Gang are their opening act.

GCFDo1I0QIM

I'd love to see Kool & The Gang provided they stick to their 70s material as opposed to "Celebrate" and such.

R_of_G
March 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Lucero is coming to St. Petersburg in May. I am so there.

poodlesrule
March 24th, 2012, 01:46 AM
It pays to introduce your spouse to blues and other music styles: While I was away, my sweetie struck and got tickets for Stevie Windwood, Paco de Lucia, and Esperanza Spalding.

Other: What were the chances of going to some old lady's estate sale and find three R.L. Burnside CDs? Closet blues hound, or she had a young boyfriend with taste?

Tig
March 24th, 2012, 08:22 AM
It pays to introduce your spouse to blues and other music styles: While I was away, my sweetie struck and got tickets for Stevie Windwood, Paco de Lucia, and Esperanza Spalding.

Other: What were the chances of going to some old lady's estate sale and find three R.L. Burnside CDs? Closet blues hound, or she had a young boyfriend with taste?

:rollover

Mrs. T brings home CD's from garage sales, too. Usually stuff I already have or don't listen to, but sometimes I get lucky. She also thoroughly enjoys every concert we go to since she had never been to any live music shows before we met.

omegadot
March 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Going to see animals as leaders play. Tosin abasi is insane.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

marnold
April 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Well, it's official! My son and I and three friends are going to see Maiden! Unfortunately, one of them dragged his feet and so we are in the bleachers instead of undercover. Hopefully there's not a torrential downpour. Found out that Orianthi is Alice Cooper's lead guitarist for this tour! Should be pretty fretteriffic.

OK, this sucks. My sister decided that she is going to get married that day, so now we can't go. On top of it all, I need to find a way to unload my tickets or I'm out $120.

Tig
April 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Ah, wonderful siblings!
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/anifacepalm.gif

R_of_G
April 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
OK, this sucks. My sister decided that she is going to get married that day, so now we can't go. On top of it all, I need to find a way to unload my tickets or I'm out $120.

Sorry to hear it Marnold. I didn't get to see the Budos Band show I'd been looking forward to either as my new job requires me to work a couple of Saturdays while we prepare the new issue of the magazine for press. This time it happened to fall on the same day of the show. I guess there could be worse reasons to miss a show than finding a new job but it still sucked.

sunvalleylaw
April 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Bought a ticket to see Wilco over at the Idaho Botanical Gardens in Boise! http://www.idahobotanicalgarden.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=40 Very excited to go. I like Tweedy's songs, and am stoked to see Nels and the boys.

Will likely also see Bonnie Raitt with my wife in SV, with Mavis Staples. Norah Jones is also coming to Boise, and my wife is going too see her with her mom friends. I would be interested to see that show if it was a Willies style show, but not so much if it is her solo work, and it is billed as a Norah show. I bet my wife will have fun though.

Eric
April 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Bought a ticket to see Wilco over at the Idaho Botanical Gardens in Boise! http://www.idahobotanicalgarden.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=40 Very excited to go. I like Tweedy's songs, and am stoked to see Nels and the boys.
Cool. I saw them once with Sonic Youth when I was first getting into their music (YHF era). I've only heard their new album a couple of times, but it seems better than their last one, which seemed kind of milquetoast to me.

Will likely also see Bonnie Raitt with my wife in SV, with Mavis Staples. Norah Jones is also coming to Boise, and my wife is going too see her with her mom friends. I would be interested to see that show if it was a Willies style show, but not so much if it is her solo work, and it is billed as a Norah show. I bet my wife will have fun though.
Nice. That's a funny term. I know what you mean, but it's funny to see it couched that way.

poodlesrule
April 25th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Oh, I forgot to report back on Esperanza Spalding, Sunday night in Boston!

Delightful and very interesting material, kick *ss eight-piece brass section, I mean, that was a show just in itself!
You could hear classic R&B touches at times. Again some featured brass solos, or actually duets with her were breathtaking. Great drummer as well. It was very much an ensemble rendering her work.
Esperanza will be kicking some butt in both the jazz and pop world, IMO

I like the "This is Eric jackson..." touch, at the beginning of the show, in reference to our beloved Eric, who has been doing his jazz radio program (4 days a week) for the last 30 years, here in Boston. Like many, thanks to what he brought, I went out to see some jazz greats play, when jazz was confined to dark and smelly bars, and you could get in to see, say, Stan Getz, for 13 bucks...

sunvalleylaw
April 25th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I like what I have heard of her. I would definitely enjoy seeing a show.

poodlesrule
April 26th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I like what I have heard of her. I would definitely enjoy seeing a show.

That.
Halfway through the show, Ii said to myself... "Please, someone tape this/make a DVD of it...!"

R_of_G
May 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ticket purchase complete. Childcare arrangements made. Seeing Wilco on Monday night.

Robert
May 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I just bought a ticket to see Steve Earle here in Camrose. I'm surprised he's coming to our little town!

Haven't heard him in a long time, and never live, but I figure I'd better go see him since it's at our local Bailey Theatre.

R_of_G
May 12th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I just bought a ticket to see Steve Earle here in Camrose. I'm surprised he's coming to our little town!

Haven't heard him in a long time, and never live, but I figure I'd better go see him since it's at our local Bailey Theatre.

I'm very jealous Robert. Enjoy the show. Steve Earle is awesome.

Tig
May 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I'm very jealous Robert. Enjoy the show. Steve Earle is awesome.

+1 :thumbsup

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Ticket purchase complete. Childcare arrangements made. Seeing Wilco on Monday night.

Cool! Have fun!

R_of_G
May 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Well Wilco sure can put on a show. The two hour set was varied with tunes from across at least half a dozen of their albums.

For the first few songs I was pretty much in awe of Nels Cline. I've listened to him for years (longer than I've been into Wilco) but last night was the first chance I ever had to see him play. He's truly unbelievable.

Tweedy was in good voice and good spirits, being quite chatty with the audience for a bit. It was also very cool to watch Pat Sansone do his thing. He's a killer guitar player and keyboardist and watching him go back and forth every few songs was fun.

The highlight of the show for me was "Impossible Germany" which featured a lengthy solo by Nels over some highly enjoyable two guitar riffing by Tweedy and Sansone.

The venue (Straz Center for the Performing Arts) is beautiful and has the best sounding room in the area. Best of all, it took me all of fifteen minutes to get home from the show.

sunvalleylaw
May 15th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Awesome!! Sounds like a great show! I have to wait a little more than a month to go catch them in Boise. I hope the show is just as good that night!

R_of_G
May 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Awesome!! Sounds like a great show! I have to wait a little more than a month to go catch them in Boise. I hope the show is just as good that night!

Last night was only the 3rd or 4th show on the tour. By the time they get to Boise they'll be firing on all cylinders for you.

Next up for me is Lucero on the 25th.

R_of_G
May 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Seeing Lucero in a few hours.

Incidentally, as much as I complain that my area doesn't get enough good shows, tonight is a major exception. Aside from the Lucero show, John Prine, Steve Kimmock, and Amanda Shires are all playing tonight in either Tampa or St. Pete. I wish I could have afforded the Prine tickets but the Mahaffey is a bit pricier than the State Theater.

R_of_G
May 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Killer show last night from Lucero.

The opening act was the Soul Rebels Brass Band from New Orleans. These guys, like their NOLA brethren the Dirty Dozen, fully mesh the heavy funk with the brass band jazz sound bringing together two of NOLA's finest traditions.

These guys put on a great set that Lucero wasn't ready to let end. The bandleader for the Soul Rebels did his "thank yous" at the end of what he thought was their last song only to be met onstage by Lucero's road manager telling them the guys in Lucero wanted to hear the Rebels play Stevie Wonder's "I Wish" which they had debuted the night before. The Rebels obliged and performed a blistering version of Stevie's tune.

Lucero played a long set with a great mix of tunes from their most recent two albums featuring the horn section as well as many songs from their older more punk-driven albums. Ben Nichols was in great voice (for Ben Nichols, if you've listened to Lucero you'll get that). The whole band seemed to be having a really good time. The audience was full of people who knew the words to every song and recognized each tune from the opening chords. That made me feel good, to see that this band that none of my friends really knew had a big following in the area.

A great night overall. The venue (State Theater in St. Pete) is one of my favorite small theater venues. I've never had a bad time there. It gets crowded but not uncomfortably so. The door and bar staff are really good people. I'm always glad to hear a band I like is playing at the State.

If any of you guys get a chance to see Lucero in a town near you, take it.

omegadot
May 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Really dig lucero lately. Good to hear.

R_of_G
May 26th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Really dig lucero lately. Good to hear.

They're an excellent band, and Ben Nichols' music lends itself to being performed live.

sunvalleylaw
June 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM
http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/21386/pearl_jam_announce_missoula_mt_show Should be fun! At the University of Montana Adams Center.

Show announced today. I am going to try to score some tickets and go. Anyone want to meet up and have a beer if we get tickets? I plan to bring a mountain bike too. (probably also a guitar.).

Looking forward to some McCready and Gossard shred, some Crowe drums, some Ament bassitude, some Boom keys on the Hammond, and some Vedder wail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JwW623n1A&feature=related

This vid shows Ament in his home in Montana, which I believe is part of the MT connection. They are supporting a MT senate candidate as part of the show if you buy the expensive seats. I will be just going for the GA seats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FF4GPQyH1A0#!

R_of_G
June 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I'm hoping to catch one of Pearl Jam's December shows in St. Pete.

sunvalleylaw
June 22nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
http://pearljam.com/news/0/1/21386/pearl_jam_announce_missoula_mt_show Should be fun! At the University of Montana Adams Center.

Show announced today. I am going to try to score some tickets and go. Anyone want to meet up and have a beer if we get tickets? I plan to bring a mountain bike too. (probably also a guitar.).

Scored a couple tickets for me and my brother to the Pearl Jam/Mudhoney show up in Missoula MT and the Adams Center at the University of Montana!! Gonna go a day early, bring a mountain bike, check out Missoula area biking and local micro brews, then hang out with Pearl Jam and Mudhoney with up to 7000 of my closest friends. (7000 will be max venue can hold, not sure how they are gonna set it up). Excited!!

R_of_G
June 22nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Got tickets to see Fiona Apple in December in Clearwater.
I've loved pretty much all of her work to now, I just wish there was more of it.

Tig
June 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Got tickets to see Fiona Apple in December in Clearwater.
I've loved pretty much all of her work to now, I just wish there was more of it.
Don't fall for it... I heard she's a PC user! :what

Her recent album has gotten rave reviews. I might need to get it.

R_of_G
June 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Don't fall for it... I heard she's a PC user! :what

Nice. Always love a good OS joke.

Her recent album has gotten rave reviews. I might need to get it.

So far I've only listened to it once, but I loved it. She's a tremendous songwriter and that voice, oh that voice. Production by Jon Brion is also unsurprisingly excellent.

Tig
June 22nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Nice. Always love a good OS joke.

Well, it wasn't my best work.
I've heard the label, "The Borg", when describing PC people, but I've just learned a new one from SVL for Apple people: "Fruit Huggers"! :rollover

sunvalleylaw
June 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Wilco show is tomorrow night. I am stoked. A kid I coach skiing (well, young man now) has been following them starting at Red Rocks, now SLC, and tomorrow night in Boise. He is getting there early and will get the good up front seats and save one for me. That is killer as I was not going to be able to take a whole day off and wait in line. :D

R_of_G
June 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM
^^ Very excited for you Steve. Wish I was seeing them again. Seems like forever ago already that I went to that show.

sunvalleylaw
June 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Great show! We were on the front rail, right in front of Tweedy's mic!

After he warmed up, it was almost like having a conversation with Tweedy, being that close. He joked about the stoned guy next to us, and the freeloaders up on the hill behind the venue. I was very impressed with his playing as well. Seeing him work live was a treat.

Good range of tunes. The only album left off was the "Wilco" album. No tracks from that. I know some don't like that album, but I do. I bet they played the heck out of that last tour and want to give it a rest. But I got to hear a lot of the stuff I don't know as well. I can't think of a song played last night that I did not like musically.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/IMG_0700.jpg

Glenn was very energetic, big smiler, and clearly the sweatiest guy on stage. I loved his Zildjian kit. One note, though I enjoyed being center front, next time, I would pick still front, but a bit off to the side. They had a huge subwoofer directly front that on a couple songs wanted to blast you back off the fence.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/IMG_0713.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/IMG_0711.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/IMG_0701.jpg
^^^^^
My favorite guitar on the stage. I would like to add a guitar like this to my collection one day.
Nels was certainly a favorite of mine during the night and really drew my attention as I watched what he was doing.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/IMG_0708.jpg

I love John and his work and think he would be a really fun bass player to play with. Pat Sansone was fun to watch, and someone I had overlooked in the band before. As the keyboarder, and a "third" guitarist, I was very impressed with his talent. He was pretty goofy with his Pete Townshend, Keef, and Boss moves onstage.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/IMG_0703.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^
Really liked this tele too!

Also, Tweedy got some nice SG tones.
They played quite a long time, and gave strong performances all night. Tweedy kept getting better and better as he warmed to the scene. Nels was just amazing, and the rest of the guys were not only solid, but clearly seeming to enjoy the show.

Blitzentrapper, who opened was also fun to watch. Kind of alt-country rock that rocks hard sometimes.

Clearly worth the $50 some bucks!

R_of_G
June 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Nice pics Steve. Sounds like you had a great time.

Here's the setlist and poster for that show.

http://wilcoworld.net/#!/tour_date_type/26-june-2012-idaho-botanical-garden-boise-id/

Pickngrin
June 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Very cool, Steve. Thanks for sharing the photos and your experience. I am a big Wilco fan. I last saw them in Hartford last year and they were great. Solid 3 hour show.

R_of_G
September 29th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Seeing Fiona Apple tonight. Very excited.

R_of_G
October 1st, 2012, 07:11 AM
Fiona Apple show was quite good.

The seats were awesome. Five rows deep, two seats to the right of dead center.

Rather than being subjected to a random opening act, the opener was Fiona's band minus Fiona. The guitar player came out alone at first, did a few songs by himself, then brought out the bass player for a few more, the drummer for a few more, and then the keyboardist for a final tune. I liked the opportunity to hear the backing musicians in this context prior to the main event.

Fiona's set reinforced what I love about her. As small a person as she is, she is one great big ball of energy on stage. Her voice was strong. Her piano playing was (as expected) excellent. She varied the setlist from across the span of her albums and ended the show with a beautiful cover of Conway Twitty's "It's Only Make Believe."

Overall a very positive experience.

kidsmoke
October 1st, 2012, 07:48 AM
Saw Ben Harper last Thursday. I've seen him a few times before in full rock star mode....fantastic. Saw him once with The Blind Boys of Alabama in support of there joint Gospel/Roots album. Last night was solo acoustic. His early earliest success was in this vein....Burn One Down, Walk Away....but more recently he's been doing larger group projects.

The stage was prepared with, from left to right, an upright piano, +/- a dozen stringed instruments, and on the extreme right, a large xylophone. in the center, a tapestry covered chair and a mic.

the stringed instruments included, 6 string acoustic, 12 string acoustic, ukulele, Strat with a twin, National lap steel, resonator, Weissenborn, another custom build, similar front profile to a Weissenborn, but larger, and bowl backed, and a couple other random instruments.

He played for 3 hours solid, with one 3 minute break for applause. No other performer ever set foot on stage. And he played everything on stage at least once. No set list. He perused his collection of instruments in between each song, considering his mood and the requests being hurled at him. Wonderful evening. The guy is an honest artist, with a catalog, a love of his influences and a desire to connect with his fans. Really wonderful show.

obligatory lousy phone pics, self explanatory.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/bengits.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/ben.jpg

kidsmoke
October 1st, 2012, 07:52 AM
Missed your report on Wilco Steve, that's great you caught them. sounds like a fantastic setting! Looking at the setlist it was a great night. They never disappoint.

sunvalleylaw
October 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks TK! It was a great show. R, glad Fiona delivered.

Well, I am very tired after driving north through the mountains of Idaho to Montana on Sat. night, with deer all over the place trying to jump out and dent the front of my car, getting waylaid on some dirt back roads (rallying the subby Impressza!) then the Pearl Jam concert last night, then a long drive home (sans excess adventures) today.

Suffice it to say that it was THE best rock show I have can ever remember attending. Wilco's show was great in its own right, but for a rock show, this was tops. They were tight, energized, and on it! Played a good, long time! I plan on doing a full report and review tomorrow sometime. Meanwhile, here are a couple cell vids (not mine) to give you an idea.

Corduroy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4tGtVHgIl0

Better Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toSAGCUHWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9toSAGCUHWM

Alive McCready solo: (new goal, develop McCready rock shredding skills).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMky-F8D8FI

Setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/2012/adams-center-missoula-mt-13ddd18d.html

R_of_G
October 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
@SVL - Very jealous you got to see Pearl Jam. Looking forward to hearing your full review once you've gotten some rest.

Tig
November 8th, 2012, 07:03 PM
OK, this isn't for 2012, but I just got a pair of tickets to see BB King in early January at the local House of Blues. http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/100.gif
Mrs. T is ecstatic!

R_of_G
November 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
OK, this isn't for 2012, but I just got a pair of tickets to see BB King in early January at the local House of Blues. http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/100.gif
Mrs. T is ecstatic!

Looks like you'll get to start the Live Music 2013 thread off with a great one. :AOK

Tig
November 9th, 2012, 10:53 AM
While BB has lost some of his vocal power, he's still BB and this might be our last chance to see him in person. (I hope not!)
To still be touring at 87 means he loves it. Music has probably kept him healthy and motivated. There are not too many diabetics in their 80's.

R_of_G
November 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
My parents saw BB a few years ago and my dad said "it's sad that he can't sing like he used to but he sure can still play his guitar."

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
We saw BB 3-4 years ago. He sat the entire show but his vocals and git playing were spot on. At 87, he takes breaks during the show where he isn't active or he launches into a story/monologue. Still, it was good fun and he delivered some sterling blues.

kidsmoke
November 9th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Man, I am remiss in my duties. Been that kind of a month I guess.

I was fortunate to score tickets to this....

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo1-4.jpg

It was billed as the "Gov't Mule Halloween Experience", so named because after a typical "Mule" opening set, they rearranged the stage and played the entire second set as "the Jimi Hendrix Experience". Odd to see Haynes exclusively using Strats. If you know Mule at all, you know they do extensive covers, extensively. but they don't just roll out a classic, they do it with obvious love and respect of the original material.

Well this was no exception. Haynes did not try to channel Hendrix' licks, but he played searing guitar, and the songs were huge, heavy aural onslaughts, which is signature Mule. The Riv is a cool old theater, but the acoustics suck. Certain parts of the theater are tolerable, but sadly I was unable to be in one of them this time around. It was a GA show, and I had a friend who's ticket I held, who arrived too late to get in and grab choice real estate. Long story short, we were in a spot with a great view, but essentially with a plaster swimming pool in the cieling overhead. This cavern creates terrible reverberations of the lows, and they overwhelm the soundscape. This is a known fact at this place, and as such that's where the late arrivals always end up. It's also where the bar is located. go figure.

Regardless, it was a great show...and hearing "are you experienced" done that well live, with an appreciative engaged crowd in a small theater was still a wonderful ...um...experience.

Insert obilgatory crappy cell phone pic here.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/photo4-3.jpg

They had no opener and only one guest, a Baritone Sax player, so it was unique in that regard as well. Everytime I've seen Mule they've had a notable guest open and usually encore with them. Not so on this night.

kidsmoke
November 9th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Saw PJ a couple years back at the United Center, where the Bulls play. They were excellent...but I'm pretty over the large concrete and steel stadium experience. What it made me long for was to see them in a club....can you imagine? Those guys still have an attitude, and I would LOVE to see them in an overheated bar dripping with sweat and shaking the rafters.

Still envy you the experience, though. Short of a football stadium, I'd still pony up for the show.

R_of_G
November 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
What it made me long for was to see them in a club....can you imagine? Those guys still have an attitude, and I would LOVE to see them in an overheated bar dripping with sweat and shaking the rafters.

Still envy you the experience, though. Short of a football stadium, I'd still pony up for the show.

When I saw them in 1991, it was at Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Not exactly a packed dive bar, but far more intimate than the stadiums and sheds they play now. So glad I got to see them then.

poodlesrule
November 30th, 2012, 07:34 AM
My good fortune allowed me to attend Tedeschi Trucks Band, last night in Boston...
It was standing room, which means you could sneak up to three rows in front of stage <grin>

A bunch of stuff:
Amazing player... picking and fretting very usual (to me anyway). ST is quite a player as well
I will never look at an SG the same way again
Real band, not just ST + DT + sidemen
Everybody is having a grand time on stage
A mix of straight rock, funk, gospel, sitar-sounds (for lack of better terms), gospel, jazzy covers.

I danced, howled, jumped up and down for two+ hours straight...! There is something in that big, big groove that keeps going on.. I was thinking "Please don't let it stop!"

As a gift to my fellow Fretters, I can point out that the full lossless audio is already available as a legit torrent on the bt dot etree dot org site. And so are the earlier Philly gigs. I discovered that by inquiring with the two fellows doing the audio recording! The TT Band is one of few bands allowing that kind of distribution.

sunvalleylaw
November 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a great show!