PDA

View Full Version : Played around with a violin for the first time....

poodlesrule
January 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I had a chance to be shown how to hold the violin's bow properly and noodled around a bit.

Very interesting feel.
I like the mini tuners at the bridge!

Any fretters well versed in violin-playing, or maybe just 'touch" violin players?

I may be tempted to go further... and would have access to informal, basic teaching

Ch0jin
January 9th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Well I played for a couple of years actually, but only as a child. It's one of those "if I had my time again" deals. I quit it as I started high school because I thought football would get me more girls than playing violin. Now I think I'd have liked to have stuck with instruments.

That said, I bet Violin GAS is pretty bad. Less gadgets I suppose, but those "Strads" aren't so cheap ;)

poodlesrule
January 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
... wow, some fancy bows alone cost as much as a used econo-car, but again it's almost half the violin, apparently!

syo
January 11th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I played (rather poorly) for a few years and then met my wife who is a professional violinist. I soon figured one in the family was enough and that one shouldn't be me. Real tough instrument to play decently. I was mostly messing around trying to play The Pogues, Fairport Convention (Dave Swarbrick) and other Irish, Scottish and bluegrass stuff. Maybe one day or probably in the next life I'll pick it up again.

By the way, the "mini tuners" at the bridge are mainly for novice players (except for on the "E" string). Unless you're one of those who can instinctively pick up most any instrument and make it sound ok, I'd recommend lessons. Of course I took a couple years worth and it probably doesn't show. Violins are cool...

poodlesrule
January 11th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Yes, Syo, my interest would pretty much match yours...

I have made some friends within these fiddlers (http://capecodfiddlers.com/), and can get informal lessons easily (possibly trade for French lessons!).

Actually, you do know a bit about (the Chinese) violin-making, I think...?

syo
January 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM
That looks like a great group to associate with. My first teacher was a self-taught bluegrass player. He wasn't a concert violinist but I did learn some valuable things from him. Actually it all started going downhill for me as I really tried to learn classical technique. It's a much longer path to play Mendelssohn than say, Molly's Jig... Learning from a group like that would be very encouraging I should think.

Yes, I know most of the makers in China and quite a fair amount in Europe as well. Bought (and sold) a few antique instruments as well.

kiteman
January 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM
So your neighbors didn't call 911 and complained about a cat being tortured? :rollover

markb
January 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I played fiddle (English folk and American old-time) for about 10 years before realising I wasn't convincing anyone but myself. In fact, I still own one.

poodlesrule
January 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM
So your neighbors didn't call 911 and complained about a cat being tortured? :rollover

No, the friend who let me use her violin lives near a forest... no problem!

An internet merchant that was recommended to me has a 30-day return policy. Unususal.

R_of_G
January 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
One of the neighbors I play with (the one who plays about a dozen instruments) began his playing on a violin as a child. He doesn't currently own a violin, but he's planning on getting one soon. I can't wait to try it out and have him teach me some things.