PDA

View Full Version : Got You Hypnotized

FrankAxtell
January 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11350579 (http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11350579)

deeaa
January 8th, 2012, 10:43 PM
:AOK I envy it how you can use such amounts of reverbs etc. effortlessly and make them sound cool. I always have to try and go for a very dry sound or tweak them for aeons or it just sounds dumb. Do you use real outboard reverbs or plugins mostly? I find that real verb units always run rings around the plugin ones but I have no means of using outboard units easily in my projects.

guitartango
January 9th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Another great song from Frank, a slight nod to Jimi on the first few bars ?

FrankAxtell
January 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much Dee. When I record the guitars and amps, I record them dry without reverb or delay using a Shure SM 57 mic into a Presonus Firepod interface which then goes via firewire to Logic Pro recording software in my Mac G5. In Logic I sometime just insert a reverb and or delay or both right into the channel strip, but to get better clarity and stereo separation I'll often assign a bus channel strip (separate track) and insert the reverb or delay there and then route the signal from my original tracked dry guitar channel strips bus send to that newly created bus strip. That allows me to set the volume, pan, eq, compression etc. and or have much better control over the effect alone thus you hear much better separation and distinction between the dry guitar on the original track as opposed to the newly created reverb bus channel. On "Got You Hypnotized" I used this on the intro wah wah guitar track. Using a large cathedral reverb with a long decay time, I panned the bus channel strip mainly to the right and the original wah channel strip to left slightly...this way I believe I achived a bigger stereo spread in the headphone mix with a much clearer definition on the guitar. Of coarse I spend lots of time mixing and remixing to get this to sound just right. Head phones, monitors, home stereo, my TOYOTA suv's stereo and back...this can take a lot of time and patients...the more you do it the better it gets.
Hope that helps!
Sincerely,
Frank :D

FrankAxtell
January 9th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Another great song from Frank, a slight nod to Jimi on the first few bars ?thank you very much...

deeaa
January 9th, 2012, 11:51 AM
yeah I need to work more on tweaking verb settings I guess. Usually I find it hard to get them spin natural...I will try panning them a bit too that sounds like it will work!