PDA

View Full Version : Tony Iommi Diagnosed with Lymphoma

Tig
January 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.guitarworld.com/tony-iommi-diagnosed-lymphoma-black-sabbath-album-plans-go-forward

An official statement from the Black Sabbath:

"With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan -- the 'Iron Man' of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery."

"This comes as Black Sabbath -- Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Bill Ward (drums) -- are writing and recording their first album in 33 years in Los Angeles (still set for release this fall) with producer Rick Rubin. They will now go to the UK to continue to work with Tony. Further information will be released as it becomes available."

R_of_G
January 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Sad news. I wish him a complete recovery.

Katastrophe
January 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Get well soon, Tony (like he's gonna see this)!

FrankenFretter
January 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Man, I hate 2012 so far.

Fight the good fight, Tony!

msteeln
January 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Turn it up to 12, Tony, and rock that crap out!

stingx
January 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cancer just sucks...I hope he beats this.

marnold
January 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Depending on the type (and, from what I understand, they caught it early) lymphoma can be very treatable. Tony's age will be a double-edged sword. As we age our metabolism slows down so cancer can't grow as quickly either. Conversely, you don't have the strength of your youth anymore.

poodlesrule
January 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Depending on the type (and, from what I understand, they caught it early) lymphoma can be very treatable.

An acquaintance I see every few years went through that, struggled through therapy and after-the-facts side effects, but is around.

From my experience (worthy of another post?), and talks I had with oncologists, every cancer is quite different in type, as well as within the type itself. On top of that, every patient's presentation will differ, i.e aggressivity, response to therapy.

Other: Before we had bankers and to a certain degree, software engineers, folks in the medicine field were considered top dogs. Some are just phenomenal people, IMO.
Reading assignment: "the emperor of all maladies"

Tig
January 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Geezer Butler wrote: "Today [Jan19th] we got the engines back up and running @ Tony’s home studio. Far from being down and depressed about his lymphoma diagnosis, Tony had already written the music for two new songs, and I must say it has given us all a kick up the rump- it’s great to hear him churning out those riffs again, assuaging the Demon C. Takes more than that to stop Tony. Can’t wait for you all to hear our workings, it has been great working on this stuff.

"I want to thank the lovely encouraging emails sent to this site giving Tony love and encouragement and great vibes. It really does help, not only Tony, but us as a band- it raises up our spirits and restores our faith in this tarnished world. Sabb fans are good people, time and again you have proven your faith in us and boosted our endeavour.

"Thanks, love, peace."

Tig
March 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Update from Tony:

"Well, I've had the last dose of chemotherapy so hopefully my body will start to get back to normal soon, the steroids were the worse. I've now got three weeks of radiotherapy coming up which I'm told can be very tiring so we'll see.

A big thanks to Ozzy and Geezer for coming over to England, it was a big incentive for me, we managed to work most days and have some great new tracks.

And, importantly thanks again for your kind messages, hope to be seeing you soon."

stingx
March 27th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Awesome!

Now I hope Jon Lord is doing OK.

NWBasser
March 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Awesome!

Now I hope Jon Lord is doing OK.

What's up with Lord?

He may be my favorite all-time keys player.

FrankenFretter
March 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I just discovered some of Tony's non-Sabbath stuff for the first time (I know, I'm ashamed that it took this long). I'd heard some Heaven & Hell, but some of his solo stuff with Glen Hughes is really good. Also, the album "Iommi" is really good, and interesting with all the guest artists.

stingx
March 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM
What's up with Lord?

He may be my favorite all-time keys player.

He has cancer too.

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2011/08/09/jon-lord-is-fighting-cancer/