PDA

View Full Version : Another Technique Question - Screaming Solos

Glacies
January 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM
When I first picked up guitar, I really wanted to play solos like BB King. That goal has changed a little while on my guitar jouney, now I want to hook in a more like Angus Young. Not too far apart if you ask me. They're both blues, one is just harder and faster than the other, I think they both work the Pent scales, and they are both super emotional hooks.

I've focused so much on my rhythm playing (and I like to think I've come pretty far - video upload pending btw) that I've neglected to learn how to solo and do so well. Anyone can hit single notes but to put them together fluidly seems challenging. I can post my video in this thread tomorrow if you want to see an improv solo I did with Nirvana's In Bloom.

So I know pent scales - should I continue working on my scales or should I actually learn some King and Young solos and whatever's in between? Are improv solos built on solo licks and tricks? I guess if I wanted to answer my own question, it's all of the above but I've been working on scales for a while and I'm not sure I have too much to show.

Eric
January 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM
In my experience, you're pretty much on the right path. Learn some solos and licks and tricks, figure out what you do well, what works where, get your scales down in all positions, and then start working with a looper or backing track or something. I find the most memorable guitar solos to be ones I can basically sing, though that doesn't exactly mean I can write great ones. If all else fails, just repeat the melody with a guitar -- Chuck Berry did that for years and it seemed to work fine.

But yeah, I'd say you already said everything I was going to say with your original post. Just keep playing.

Glacies
January 10th, 2012, 12:22 PM
So here's our video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZymlbdHwjI&feature=g-upl&context=G2853d85AUAAAAAAAAAA

solo starts at 3:30

We're kind of ragtag, just get together, drink beer and try to put a few songs together. Having a blast but definitely want to improve.

Eric
January 10th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I can't hear it too well at work while sitting in a hallway next to a freight elevator, but it sounded pretty decent. Thanks for posting it.

Glacies
January 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment!

One thing my guitar journey has taught me is not to be too harsh on myself. There was a time where I would have not been able to deal with posting a video to youtube of my playing.

By the way, I couldn't see to frame the shot so I couldn't tell that I wasn't in it or that it was front and center on the bass player. It wasn't supposed to be like that, but it's a small room. Gonna try to position the camera better for next time.

Katastrophe
January 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM
You're doing the right thing to start.... playing with other musicians is invaluable training.

Think of a good solo as a story. It's your time as a guitarist to say something, and the guitar is your voice. It could be a repeat or variation of the melody line, a counterpoint melody, or groupings of single notes. Even if you're improvising, have an idea of what you want to get across in the solo. Does the song call for something quiet, or do you get to scream a little? Does it require both?

Practice both major/minor scales and pentatonics, along with how to build and play arpeggios. Knowledge of the modes is helpful. Learn a variety of licks and phrases from your favorite artists, and practice them with a metronome. Start slow. Slow, clean, efficient playing is the quickest way to building speed.

Then, take all that knowledge and make a statement of your own. It doesn't matter if you never compose your own music, but you'll be able to take someone else's work and put your stamp all over it.

Both Robert and Mark Wein have all kinds of videos of different licks you can apply in your soloing... and they both show you how to apply them. You're about to have all kinds of fun learning... Enjoy the process!

Glacies
January 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I should have mentioned that it might be my amph why I no get screaming solos...

The screaming side of things I understand what you're saying. The actual In Bloom recording has a very moody if not whiney solo and that's what I was trying to recreate. But you can hear me stumble and struggle to keep it going. And that was probably one of my better less "sterile" solos too.

I haven't learned any modes yet, I don't even understand the concept. I thought I would do my best to get the pentatonics down solid and then move on to what the modes do.

Thanks so much for your post. This type of post definitely helps me focus in on the right path.

Katastrophe
January 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I haven't learned any modes yet, I don't even understand the concept. I thought I would do my best to get the pentatonics down solid and then move on to what the modes do.

Don't worry about the modes right now... modal stuff happens later, IMO... Learning the pentatonic scale is a great launching point. The theory will come as you start to wonder how stuff fits together.

For now, I'd keep working on the pentatonics, bending to pitch, and learning some of your favorite guitarists licks and phrases. That'll keep ya busy for a while!

guitartango
January 10th, 2012, 03:34 PM
You don't have to make the guitar scream and wail, just a well crafted guitar solo using a minor pent scale. Here is one from a UK band (you may have heard of them!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RdopMqrftXs#t=13 7s

Listen to the solo at 2:15

Hampus
January 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
You started in the right place I think. I kind of started from the middle. I learned how to play sheet music, learned scales and some improvising. What I never learned is what most people starting out learn, how to play chords with a nice good rythm. I never learned rythm or timing, and I'm suffering from it now and now that I'm taking up playing again I'm starting over, doing the things I never did the last time. My entire playing suffers from my lack of basics.

For the solos: Start with a pentatonic, start with just one of the box positions and learn it, play up and down, up and down. Whhn you've got that, start playing with it, like skipping every other note, still going up and down, go up three string, back down two, up another three etc. You get the picture. Then start imrovising. Learn bends and vibratos. Hammer ons and snap-offs will be very handy too.

Good luck to us! :dance

/Hampus

Glacies
January 10th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks Hampus! A lot of people have been mentioning my timing and I have to say I've never worked on it. I have never used a metronome either, I just don't like it so I guess if I'm gifted with anything, it must be my natural timing for rhythm.

By the way, this is the first time I've ever played with anyone else and we've only gotten together about 3 or 4 times before this over some beers.

But I agree, good luck to all of us!

BTW the screaming solo/amph thing was a joke I thought I could pull off - it failed.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2012, 11:13 PM
You don't have to make the guitar scream and wail, just a well crafted guitar solo using a minor pent scale. Here is one from a UK band (you may have heard of them!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RdopMqrftXs#t=13 7s

Listen to the solo at 2:15

Funny, I always want to do a cover of this with a full band with drummer, and do most of the song reverently, then click over to Pearl Jam mode for the final verse and chorus and end it with wailing solos ala PJ performances of Crazy Mary. Seems like the song would lend itself to that.

As far as the OP, I think playing with others, and expanding your vocabulary with licks, phrases, and "getting out of the box" with your solos will help. At least that is what I am trying to do as I try to make the leap myself. Both Robert and Mark have excellent resources to pursue such knowledge.

guitartango
January 11th, 2012, 06:48 AM
I didnt bother learning scales for years, just kinda of copied all my favourite guitar heroes and learnt that way. I tend to play in a box rather than go up and down the neck, it's hard to break my habit.