PDA

View Full Version : When you're lost or stuck

Tone2TheBone
December 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
The recent news of the people that got stuck in their car in Oregon got me to thinking.

If you're lost....or have gotten stuck somewhere with your vehicle....couldn't you just walk back out on the road you drove in from?

Discuss.

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Well they found the father of the family that got lost in Oregon. He's dead. I feel for the family.

If I could save your life I'd tell you this...don't walk off the road that you're back tracking on. Might take you a day or a few of them to walk out to get help but you'll eventually find it.

Also don't drive in the fast lane on the highways. Move over to the right side of the road always. Drunks that get behind the wheel get on the interstates from off ramps and end up hitting people head on that drive in the fast lanes.
(they think they're on the right side of 2 lane roads)

Always treat any gun like it's loaded even when you know it's not. Never point it at anyone.

Anyone got any more tips? These could save someone's life someday!

t_ross33
December 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I was just reading about this. Freaky. He was one of the editors at CNET.com and I used to read his columns and reviews frequently.

Growing up in frosty rural Saskatchewan, winter driving was always a safety concern. Keep warm clothes, blankets, boots, candles, a few chocolate or granola bars on hand, a shovel, tow rope. Now-a-days one can add cell phone, though service may have been bad in the mountains for these poor folks. Heed warnings and travel advisories!

You're better off staying with your vehicle. It provides some shelter and is easier for others to spot. Don't hike cross country!

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
You know you're right by saying stay with your vehicle when lost or missing.

Another good thing to have too is a small mirror. You can see flashes of light a long ways.

I feel very badly for the remaining family. So tragic. The wife of the guy that died has parents that live here. They flew out this past week to Oregon during the search.

warren0728
December 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
his wife appears to have been the more resourceful one...if he would have stayed with her he would be alive.....tragic.....as late as today they were dropping supplies around the area hoping he would find a package and save his life....

ww

Hogfullofblues
December 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM
That is just beyond sad. Good advice from T. And don't panic.

marnold
December 6th, 2006, 06:04 PM
When I lived in South Dakota, one of the first things they taught me is if you're stranded, don't start walking towards a light. The land is so flat that that light might be 20 miles away. I also made an emergency kit with the items that t_ross mentioned. Thankfully, I never had to use it. In winter you always prepare for the worst. I've got a stocking cap and mittens in my trunk in case I ever fail to take my own advice.

Spudman
December 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Anyone got any more tips? These could save someone's life someday!

Never kick a skunk or shave your legs when you have goosebumps.

I also pack a warm sleeping bag in my car in the winter along with a warm hat, gloves, and warm boots.

Stay with the vehicle unless you have outdoor skills training. After all, you're on a road and someone will eventually be along compared to a 300 acre hay field where you might (maybe) see some drunk kid once every 4 or 5 years.

oldguy
December 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM
A sad situation, and a lot of helpful tips. I don't think most folks realize when they're in over their heads until it's an emergency. A little food, water, matches, candles, warm clothing, reflective devices, etc., can go a long way in preventing something like this. If I were going 20 mi. I wouldn't prepare the way I would if I were planning a 200 mi. trip, but who knows?
Maybe a GPS? Mapping out the trip and checking w/ the local weather service & NOAA weather radio? A cell ph. with local emergency numbers? I don't know.
Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Great comments you guys. I'm wondering how much a satellite phone would cost.

sunvalleylaw
December 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM
A sad situation, and a lot of helpful tips. I don't think most folks realize when they're in over their heads until it's an emergency. A little food, water, matches, candles, warm clothing, reflective devices, etc., can go a long way in preventing something like this. If I were going 20 mi. I wouldn't prepare the way I would if I were planning a 200 mi. trip, but who knows?
Maybe a GPS? Mapping out the trip and checking w/ the local weather service & NOAA weather radio? A cell ph. with local emergency numbers? I don't know.
Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Here in Idaho, most trips that are not just into the town you are living in are wilderness trips with significant exposure. I agree with Spud in having a full kit in the car with all the old fashioned "10 essentials" (food, clothes, first aid stuff, water, compass, etc.) I like the ideal of sleeping bag. Would help with hypothermia concerns as more than one could cuddle up inside to share warmth. I would also add a collapsible shovel for digging out. I don't have a sat phone, but will keep watching the tech. Cell service can be pretty spotty in Idaho. It does work in many surprising places though, so it never hurts to throw it in. As far as walking out, I would think that would depend on a lot of things. Conventional wisdom, I suppose, is to stay, but a walk on a road you just traveled might be necessary in Idaho if you are off the highway on a remote desert road no one is going to travel in a while. Would be a judgment call I think, given weather conditions, visibility, is the road visible or too drifted in, is the area travelled, etc. A hunter walked out norht of here in the Sawtooths, after the searchers had about given him up. Hard to know.

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Good points Steve. I used to hunt elk and I would walk between 15 and 20 miles a day. Covering lots of ground...up ridges, across them, down saddles over to the other ridges...the hike back to camp...etc. You could walk back on a road you drove up and cover some ground I would think? The average person walks what...3 miles per hour? What I don't understand is that they found his body down into a drainage that was probably steep and hard enough not to be able to get back up. Why would someone do this? To save time and find a shortcut? The report says he only made it 8 miles from the car and he was gone for days. Could have hurt himself trying to walk down that drainage or something I don't know. I think everyone agrees that things would have been better had he stayed with his family. I know I wouldn't want to leave my family alone like that but like Steve said sometimes you gotta make a judgement call.

warren0728
December 7th, 2006, 10:06 AM
i heard there were bear prints on the road near where he went down the embankment....they think he was trying to get away from the bear....

ww

Tone2TheBone
December 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
i heard there were bear prints on the road near where he went down the embankment....they think he was trying to get away from the bear....

ww

I hadn't heard that yet. I'm watching the story intently. As sad as it is it's interesting I have to say. I'm always one to say why why why?

PS - While hunting I've ran directly into bears. Within yards. 5 times. Each time they ran the opposite direction from me. But these were Black bears.

sunvalleylaw
December 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I know I wouldn't want to leave my family alone like that but like Steve said sometimes you gotta make a judgement call.

I think making the call a conservative one, and one made with hydration and food in you because you were prepared would aid the exercise of judgment. Nothing is perfect though. Being chased off the road by an animal would explain some things.