PDA

View Full Version : My new "Best of album"

bcdon
January 12th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Maybe I'm getting old, well that is a given, but what is it with new artists releasing "Best of Albums" after only a couple of years? I'm sure they are just trying to maximize their 15 minutes of fame but it gives other "Best Ofs" a bad name. Hey, I'm all for making a buck, so I've decided to release my very own "Best of Album" before I've released a single track! Anyone want to send me $0.99 per song for an album I have even done yet? If you act now, I'll even let you name the songs!

Eric
January 12th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I think those best-of albums are frequently done to fulfill a record deal so that the band is free to sign another contract. For instance, if a band has a 5-record contract and has released 4, they might do a best-of and then cash in with another big deal with a different company. Given that, it's possible that record deals are being done differently now and bands do their best-of albums after fewer releases. Or maybe the band has only risen to prominence recently, but has quite a back catalogue of music to fill up a greatest-hits compilation.

One of the weirdest best-of records to me is the one by the Red Hot Chili Peppers ('What Hits?'), which was done after they moved record labels, but that was released by their former label. It managed to get 'Under the Bridge' on there and they do have their cover of 'Higher Ground,' which was fairly popular, but otherwise almost all of their big hits were released after that record. I'm not saying it's not a decent record, but it just struck me as odd.

Tig
January 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I smell record company.

R_of_G
January 13th, 2012, 07:16 AM
"Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" packages are entirely record company creations. What better idea than being able to make more money on recordings already in the can?

I have a very low opinion of "Best Of" collections in general. I've known far too many people who like speak with authority on the music of particular bands when these people are unfamiliar with anything other than that band's so-called "Greatest Hits." I know for some people it can act as an introduction to a band they never knew much (or anything) about but even in that case, I prefer to experience that artist in the context of one of their albums.

In this day and age, I think the concept is antiquated. People only interested in certain songs by an artist can buy each song individually online. while those with fuller catalogs can create their own playlist of favorite songs by any particular artist. One thing that never comes off my iPod is my "Middle Period Stones" playlist, but I guarantee you it doesn't look like any Stones' Greatest Hits albums I've ever seen.

deeaa
January 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Sometimes best of albums can be good...like I have been listening to best of Al Green, and Carole King and also Otis Redding lately.

No way I would have the time to look for their individual albums etc. But these are great for me. I do not think I will look into more by them either these are enough.

Also listened to some best of swing music album...dont even know who are the artists and song care...just that its good music is enough.

I just wished for a best of too from Porcupine Tree...Id like to listen to them but all I happen to sample from them seems like some ambient crappola with stupid long keyb intros...i keep hearing they have good songs so id like a best of so I dint have to sift they all the crus myself.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

R_of_G
January 13th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Also listened to some best of swing music album...dont even know who are the artists and song care...just that its good music is enough.

That's an experience I have never had. It runs counter to my nature to not know who I'm listening to at any given time. Certainly if something is enjoyable to me I want to know who it is performing, but even when I hear something I dislike at a friend's house or something I'll want to know what it is so I have some frame of reference for that artist.

I just wished for a best of too from Porcupine Tree...Id like to listen to them but all I happen to sample from them seems like some ambient crappola with stupid long keyb intros...i keep hearing they have good songs so id like a best of so I dint have to sift they all the crus myself.

Which brings up another issue I have with "Best of" packages... Best according to who? A record company suit? I'll take the Pepsi challenge on any artist I have in my library that I can put together a more enjoyable and representative "Best Of" for any of them contrasted with what has already been released as their "Best."

marnold
January 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I think I'm with Deeaa. There's a number of groups that I like but I don't really have a desire/need to own a bunch of albums from them. Steely Dan would be a classic example. I love the greatest hits album I have but I really don't need to have any more. Realistically, though, most of the music I like isn't hit-oriented. Sometimes, like with Warren Zevon, I got the greatest hits first and that prompted me to go back and buy a couple of his "real" albums.

I could mention that the only Stones recording I have is "Hot Rocks" and then let R of G's head explode :)

Commodore 64
January 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I have 40 licks and Let It Bleed and that's it.

R_of_G
January 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I could mention that the only Stones recording I have is "Hot Rocks" and then let R of G's head explode :)

I have 40 licks and Let It Bleed and that's it.

Meh, it's you guys missing out on some great recordings, not me. Feel free to come over any time you want to listen. :)

bcdon
January 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Sometimes best of albums can be good...like I have been listening to best of Al Green, and Carole King and also Otis Redding lately.

That is what I am getting out... Bands that have established themselves over the years are justified in releasing a best of album, my point was that why are we seeing bands that have only a couple of albums out releasing best ofs?

Eric
January 13th, 2012, 03:40 PM
To which bands/artists are you referring, Don?

deeaa
January 14th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Quite so...one should have at least 5 albums out before making a best of...or decades of releases here and there.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

stingx
January 15th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Meh, it's you guys missing out on some great recordings, not me. Feel free to come over any time you want to listen. :)

EVERY Stones album should be owned up until Mick Taylor's departure. Maybe a greatest hits for tracks up to Wyman's departure.

R_of_G
January 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM
EVERY Stones album should be owned up until Mick Taylor's departure. Maybe a greatest hits for tracks up to Wyman's departure.

The mere fact that none of these so-called Stones' "Greatest Hits" compilations contains "Sway" shows how worthless they are.

kiteman
January 16th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I used to make my own "best of" and "the mix" CDs. :dance

R_of_G
January 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I used to make my own "best of" and "the mix" CDs. :dance

Same here kiteman, and perhaps I'm a bit less humble than I should be, but I find my versions far superior to the record company versions.

I have a "Middle Period Stones" playlist that's existed for me for twenty years now. It began as a cassette tape. Then it became a burned CD. Now it's a playlist on my iPod. I will put it up against any alleged "Best of" compilation from the Mick Taylor years.

Tig
January 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
You may just have to publish this list for eager Fretters when you have the time. :cool:

R_of_G
January 16th, 2012, 12:05 PM
You may just have to publish this list for eager Fretters when you have the time. :cool:

Ask and ye shall receive.

1. Brown Sugar
2. Crazy Mama
3. Doo, Doo, Doo, Doo, Doo (Heartbreaker)
4. Gimme Shelter
5. Memo From Turner
6. Dance Little Sister
7. Hang Fire
8. B*tch
9. Tumbling Dice
10. Live With Me
11. Star, Star
12. Sway
13. Some Girls
14. Dead Flowers
15. Lies
16. Hand of Fate
17. Let it Bleed
18. All Down the Line
19. Moonlight Mile

Tig
January 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.

Very interesting. A few I've never heard of. I may have to throw them together and see.
Thx!

R_of_G
January 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Very interesting. A few I've never heard of. I may have to throw them together and see.
Thx!

It works well in that order, but it works just as well on shuffle. Enjoy.

Tig
January 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM
It works well in that order, but it works just as well on shuffle. Enjoy.

Threw the play list together and added one critical (to me) song, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". The 4 minute long groove solo starting at 3:00 is worth the price of admission.
I'm listening to it at work... :)

R_of_G
January 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Threw the play list together and added one critical (to me) song, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". The 4 minute long groove solo starting at 3:00 is worth the price of admission.
I'm listening to it at work... :)

Oh I love "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" as well. That section you refer to is very Allman Brothers-esque, which I mean as high praise. I put the song on a lot of other playlists, but the length made me leave it out of this one. Well, that and I can't put on every song from Sticky Fingers, no matter how much I love that album. :)

stingx
January 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Sweet virginia!!!!

z2TJ2z8y2hw

Great outtake from Exile on Main Street - I love this version!

SGlhIDuiY6I