PDA

View Full Version : NPD - Carl Martin PlexiTone

Tig
January 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've been narrowing down my amp tonal range to either Fender-ish clean/crunch and Marshall crunch/overdriven/wootin' solo tones. While I love the amazing capabilities the POD HD500 is full of, I find that I'm just not using it all that much. It has a great feel with almost every possible amp and effect available, but it is like a 100 room mansion when all I need is a well built 4 room house. So, I traded it for store credit and bought the PlexiTone with most of the value. At over $260, it is a bit pricey, but this pedal delivers at a fraction of the cost of a classic Marshall amp.

I've been playing it for a few days, and it delivers every medium to high gain tone I've been searching for without requiring window rattling volume levels. The touch response is like a tube amp. It delivers all of the classic Van Halen, AC/DC, ZZ Top driven tube tones, yet retains individual string definition. The controls react really well, allowing great control and range.

While I've used it mostly on the Egnater amp, it has worked well on the Fender Mustang set to clean. I read some people didn't like it with single coils, but it works great with my T-style Hell No. 2, the P90's in the Reverend, and the Strat. Playing any neck pickup with the high gain channel gives those sweet, woody harmonic solo tones like Slash had in the GnR days. Roll the guitar's treble down and Clapton's "woman" tone shows up in spades. This is the first pedal that has pulled this off convincingly. This is a keeper, no doubt!

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/191/331/DV016_Jpg_Large_153122_V.jpg

"The PlexiTone offers two step overdrive, the crunch channel and the high gain channel, on top of that it gives you an up to 20dB clean boost channel.
The crunch channel goes from subtle overdrive to hard rock gain stage, the high gain channel goes from rock gain stages to absolutely meltdown, with loads of gain and low end, and all in a tone that brings the memory back to the early 80's high gain guitar hero's."

Pete Thorn has a great demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng4peS3MjrY

Eric
January 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cool stuff. I've heard many a good thing about that pedal. Happy new pedal day -- aren't we supposed to get some pics, or does that only apply to NGDs?

Tig
January 12th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Well, being the same box as they have on the website, I like their picture better. Mine looks the same, but is on vintage carpet for the home grown boutique tone upgrade. :socool

As cool as multi-effect units are, I'm leaning more to individual stomp boxes now. For adjustments I like being able to simply tweak a knob instead of pulling up a menu first, etc. Maybe an M9 or M13 would be cool, but I'll be building BYOC pedals and maybe buy some well regarded booootique boxes.

Robert
January 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Cool, but now you can't get my HD500 tones on your HD500! :D

Your avatar looks like smashed your forehead bloody, trying to decide what gear to buy. Jeez.

And where is YOUR video demo???? :D :D

Tig
January 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Cool, but now you can't get my HD500 tones on your HD500! :D

Your avatar looks like smashed your forehead bloody, trying to decide what gear to buy. Jeez.

And where is YOUR video demo???? :D :D

Yes, but the guy working at the store liked the extra downloaded patches, so he'll likely buy it for himself!

Oh, that's crazy football line backer, Brian Cushing after he took his head to a helmet fight.
Video? What's that? All I have is a DSLR for stills. No video, even on the laptop. Besides, after Pete Thorn, I have no business getting near a camera. :spank

bcdon
January 13th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Congratulations! What an awesome demo!

I'm with you on the multi-function units. I had a M13 for over a year and barely used it because I just hated the menu stuff. I sold it and have only added a nice delay and recently a pretty cool overdrive. I'm much happier now.

I think I'm going to watch that demo again, Pete Thorn can really play! :dude

Eric
January 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm with you on the multi-function units. I had a M13 for over a year and barely used it because I just hated the menu stuff. I sold it and have only added a nice delay and recently a pretty cool overdrive. I'm much happier now.
The one unit that I had that avoided all of that junk was a Boss ME-50. It was knob central, but much easier to use than menu-based units.

I guess there's a middle ground there somewhere. You can't get a ton of options and features without making it pretty complicated. I'm in the process of figuring out what works best for me.

NWBasser
January 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
That looks like a very cool pedal Tig.

Dang, I'm such a Luddite - plug straight into the amph and then select either clean or dirty channel.

I guess you can't expect a bass player to understand an effects chain.

cebreez
January 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I must be going deaf. When he switched from the "other" distortion pedal I could not hear any difference!