PDA

View Full Version : Mlb 2012

Glacies
January 17th, 2012, 07:04 AM
All this baseball buzz is driving me nuts lately. I need spring training to start asap. My home team, NYY has added a helluva arm that I'm really excited about and I'm all tied up in the drama of 7 starting pitchers and what to do with them.

Then we have instant replay, 2 wildcards... what an interesting season this will shape up to be.

Anyone else freaking out or am I the only normal one?

R_of_G
January 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM
You're not the only one. Yankees' news is big down here as well since Tampa is the off-season home of the Yankees organization and several of the players too. I'm excited to see the Yanks add some depth to the starting rotation. It's the area where they're most severely lacking and it haunts them in the post-season.

However, I was a little surprised to see them deal Jesus Montero. I know it shouldn't be surprising to see the Yankees trade a top prospect to the Mariners, I'm just hoping it turns out better than Buhner for Phelps. In the brief time he was with the big club last year, Montero showed he's able to hit major league pitching, and hit it hard.

Glacies
January 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I agree and that's a great talent to have, but almost every bat on the Yankees is big and the dude can't field a ball. He'll never pull a position on the Yankees and he'll be stuck as a career DH there. I think the only reason they dealt him was because they started seeing the writing on the wall. And the Mariners don't care, they are so desperate for offense that in an article I read, they'd take someone with 2 wooden legs if they could hit the ball.

I admit I was a little outraged at the news, but now I'm actually kind of happy. Tex is signed through 2016 and heavy hitting first basemen are becoming a dime a dozen. A big dime, but you get my point...

Now the Yanks just need a full time DH.

And for other baseball discussion, Cubs and Angels... 2 teams I'd like to keep my eye on this year. I think the Angels are a bit hyped, but finally the AL west is going to show some flare.

Cubs... Theo Epstein had a lot more money to play with, but as popular as I know the Cublets are, I think there's a lot less pressure there. I'm looking to see him do something really special in the next 2-3 years with that organization.

R_of_G
January 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I agree and that's a great talent to have, but almost every bat on the Yankees is big and the dude can't field a ball. He'll never pull a position on the Yankees and he'll be stuck as a career DH there. I think the only reason they dealt him was because they started seeing the writing on the wall. And the Mariners don't care, they are so desperate for offense that in an article I read, they'd take someone with 2 wooden legs if they could hit the ball.

I agree. I suppose ultimately I expected Montero to be traded, these are the Yankees after all. I just figured it'd be down the line as part of a deal for a bigger name starting pitcher. I'm hoping to get to a spring training game or two this year. My daughter is old enough to enjoy it now and the stadium is about twenty minutes from the house.

piebaldpython
January 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Can the Phils win the NL East yet again? Here's to hoping. I think the Phils are dangling on the precipice.......of being too old. They might be able to squeeze out ONE last hurrah out of the current bunch.

Tig
January 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Our local team has been thoroughly gutted prior to the sale, so I have no expectations of the Astros. :nope
I'll still enjoying my other favorites, the Cardinals and the Phillies.

Commodore 64
January 18th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I hope the Yankees choke on all their high-priced talent.

R_of_G
January 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I hope the Yankees choke on all their high-priced talent.

Sounds like you have high hopes for the Indians this season. :poke

Commodore 64
January 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM
No, they are going to stink unless Ubaldo remembers how to pitch. Nobody on the team hits for average except maybe Asdrubal Cabrera. Maybe we'll get lucky with the young guys (Kipnis and Chisenhall) in the infield.

R_of_G
January 18th, 2012, 09:40 AM
If Jimenez does return to his Rockies' form try to make sure he doesn't get hurt in Cleveland, you know, in case the Yankees need to trade for him at the deadline.

marnold
January 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM
And Martinez is already out for the season for my beloved Tigers and it's only January.