PDA

View Full Version : My '51 is at the Doctor

marnold
December 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Well after getting my guitar setup, I still wasn't happy with the action and the amount of buzzing I had. I decided to take it to a tech. I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the neck because if there was, I have a limited amount of time to send it back to MF. Thankfully the neck is just fine. Some of the frets are a little high so he's going to give it a good fret dressing/crowning. While he's at it, he's going to take care of the nut height issue. In talking with him, I also decided to switch from .10-.46 strings to .10-.52. I thought that the low-end was a little floppy with it tuned to Eb (which also contributes to buzz and me gripping chords so that they go sharp). It should be back to me by Thursday or Friday.

To keep me company in the meantime, I bought the SRV Live at Montreux DVDs.

warren0728
December 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM
To keep me company in the meantime, I bought the SRV Live at Montreux DVDs.

you'll like those...its amazing to see him practically booed of the stage first go around...he gets a little dig in at the end of the second concert when the fans are a bit...shall we say...more into his music!!

Conner gets mad when we watch the first concert and people start booing him!

ww

duhvoodooman
December 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
You know, the booing sounded worse than it really was. From what I've read, it came from a fairly small--but very vocal--group of acoustic blues purists in the audience. Apparently, these pea-brains were offended by SRV's no-holds-barred electric blues. Unfortunately, it doesn't take many loud booers to sound like an army. But as you watch the DVD, you'll see that most of the audience is enjoying the show, many of them very enthusiastically. I guess Stevie was royally PO'ed, though....

warren0728
December 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I guess Stevie was royally PO'ed, though....
i think people thought it was going to be an acoustic only night...he definately was pissed...

ww

marnold
December 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I got a call from the guitar doctor. My '51 is all better and ready for pickup (Pickup! Get it? Anyway . . .) Unfortunately, I won't be able to trek down there to get it until tomorrow morning.

Watched the first Montreux concert and the interviews. Very cool stuff. I can't imagine hearing that for the first time before there even was an album called "Texas Flood".

marnold
December 8th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Well, it's back home now! The action is very nice now without the annoying buzz. Going to .010-.052 strings seems like a very good move too. The lower three aren't so flabby anymore. It's also perfectly intonated on the first five frets. It annoyed me before, but to hear everything properly now is almost amazing.

Re: the SRV DVD. I think I've made a breakthrough in my playing without even knowing it. Previously when I watched him live, I wanted to give up guitar. Now watching those DVDs makes me want to play. I think that's a positive step. My wife and I laughed when we saw him play "Scuttle Buttin'." She said, "He plays that WAY faster than you do." I nodded in agreement and said, "That's why he's Stevie Ray Vaughan and I'm not."

Plank_Spanker
December 8th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Re: the SRV DVD. I think I've made a breakthrough in my playing without even knowing it. Previously when I watched him live, I wanted to give up guitar. Now watching those DVDs makes me want to play. I think that's a positive step. My wife and I laughed when we saw him play "Scuttle Buttin'." She said, "He plays that WAY faster than you do." I nodded in agreement and said, "That's why he's Stevie Ray Vaughan and I'm not."

LOL! There have been times that I've seen some amazing players and just wanted to pile all of my guitars up in the backyard and set fire to them......but I never did. :D

I realize that I'll always learn at my own pace and, as long as I'm having fun doing it, it's all good.

r_a_smith3530
December 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I realize that I'll always learn at my own pace and, as long as I'm having fun doing it, it's all good.

I couldn't agree with you more Plank_Spanker, that's what it's all about. If others enjoy it too, so much the better!

Speaking of SRV, didn't he use something like an .013 on his high "E" string?

marnold
December 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Yep. .013s. I thought I heard once he even tried .015s. That was too much even for the mighty SRV.