PDA

View Full Version : Training facility recording...2?

deeaa
January 22nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
We've really gotten into habit of always recording our practices on a Zoom R-16, then just export to MP3 and it's great to hear what went well and what not. Here's one song, 'not what you think' by Spookbox:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/spookbox/2012/22_1_2012_nwyt_live.mp3

My JVM starts the song & is on the right the whole time. I also sing of course, as usually.

Methinks, when I get the settings how I like it, and we get every song recorded like 2-3 times so we can catch a 'good take' form everyone, I'll make a dozen-song 'live' CD just for the hell of it.

Or, we might set up the R-16 just like this on the upcoming gig and if they turn out good, we'll release that as a demo. Talk about unpolished ;-)

Spudman
January 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM
We're looking at getting 2 of the R16s to make an album with. I've heard mostly good things about them. Even the Tascam DP004 and the Zoom Q3 are giving us good stereo recordings, but we want something that we can mix down in Cubase. That's where the R16 should shine.

deeaa
January 22nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Yep it does make it easy. I'd love to have two of them...there was just one on sale for under 250 slightly used, almost bought it. Was thinking I could sell my Presonus and use the other R16 as my main card and take it to practice w/me...but, short on cash just now, plus I don't like the idea of having to lug & re-set everything...man, it'd make a helluva difference getting just a few tracks more. Especially phantom powered ones...we're using the phantom tracks for the overheads, and it'd be great to have a good stereo pair room mic. Also would be awesome to be able to also mic the toms separately, and snare also from below the drum. And then we would still have 2 tracks left so we could use another mic for both guitars too!

As it is, with just 4 mics for drums, that's about as good as it gets for drum sounds. We could get a better separation playing quieter, but we just play like we normally do, not any special volume considerations for recording's sake so there's plenty of bleed from the drum mikes.