PDA

View Full Version : Changing dodgy humbucker

Photomike666
January 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have a Harlem Strat copy. Single coil neck, single middle, humbucker bridge.

I know this is a cheap guitar, but I'm not paying out on my dream set up until I've learned to play better 😃

Anyway, my humbucker pickup is playing up, and I thought I'd replace it with a Seymour Duncan SH-6b "Distortion" humbucker pickup. Bridge position.

Reviews seem favorable for the cost. Question is, is it worth changing the singles at the same time?

bcdon
January 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
I think it depends on if you stick to the bridge only. If you spend most of your time there, just replace it. However, if you bounce around then think about changing those pups as well. I'd just replace the humbucker and then see what happens. That is, unless you got a better deal if you swapped them all at the same time.

Spudman
January 22nd, 2012, 11:28 PM
You'll know after you change it. The Distortion is a fun pickup. Chances are you'll forget all about the other two pickups altogether. That will save $ in the long run.

But, if you are a tone hound at all then you'll probably start experimenting with other single coil pickups after you do the bridge swap. Really, just give the new pickup a chance to settle in, or give your ears a chance to adjust. It will be a big change in sound. Experiment with pickup height on that bridge pickup to get it to balance with the single coils before you rush into buying more pickups.