PDA

View Full Version : Maxon pedals... Why so expensive?

cebreez
January 26th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Did I miss something? Since when are Maxon pedals worth $200 and $300. I know they have a good name but I have always thought of them as being on the same level as BOSS and Digitec. Then again I have never owned a Maxon pedal.

Robert
January 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
They are very well made, and perhaps the name is strong enough to get buyers anyway.

There are lots of expensive pedals out there - how about a 400 dollar vibe? http://www.musictoyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=SWEET10SWIRL&Category_Code=SWEET (out of stock of course!)

I assume some pedals are more work to do, and perhaps parts are expensive, but overdrive/distortion pedals? A classic overdrive for 250 seems a bit much to me -
http://www.musictoyz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=GREED02&Category_Code=OD

Oh well, money makes the world go round, the world go round, the world go round

marnold
January 26th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Because they made the Tube Screamer for Ibanez. Of course, those pedals were dirt cheap until a certain SRV used them.

Tig
January 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Perhaps they use only boutique capacitors that have been aged in French oak barrels for 20 years in the grotto beneath Tonewood Castle?

deeaa
January 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Man, you must be tripping. Everyone knows it's not the grotto that yields the best cap tone, it's only by hanging them from the trees swept by the winds from the chasm of Mojo besides the castle that does the trick...and it only takes ~5 years if they are handled by *any* guitar celebrity prior to packaging. Except Esteban. I've heard Bonamassa can speed it up to six months, even.

And you can forget about them oak barrels too, it's gotta be aerated for the rare earth elements to be able to affect the core of the caps without resistance.

Just my 2c, though...

cebreez
January 27th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Well see..... that makes all the sense in the world. Thanks guys for clearing that up. :)
Going straight to the music store, gonna pick up a Maxon pedal, walk right up to the counter, stare the cashier straight in the eye and laugh my every loving butt off. :rollover