PDA

View Full Version : Where are you from......by accent????

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl3/american-accent-quiz.html

Pretty neat little test.....that tells you what kind of accent you have. Praise the Good Lord that my accent results are Philly. :AOK

Hey Tig.......I hope your Mrs scores Philly too!

Commodore 64
January 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Eric
January 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah I got the midland USA or whatever it was, kind of the one without any definite accent. Kind of surprising, actually. I think I took this or something like it a few years ago, but I don't remember what it was then.

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 09:53 AM
OMFG! Nailed me with Philly. Kewl.

deeaa
January 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Inland north...of course my accent is neither really all American nor British, but a bit closer to Brits maybe. When I was in the U.S. people usually took me for a Briton if they were naively american, but Brits and canadians or non-natives usually guessed Australia.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

deeaa
January 27th, 2012, 09:58 AM
LOL should be 'natively' not naively...damn autocorrect strikes again...

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
OMFG! Nailed me with Philly. Kewl.

Glad to see that you haven't lost your Philly patois. :thumbsup

Funny story.....we were in Paris back in April 2008 and we wanted to ask directions....so we tried to find a young-ish person who hopefully spoke English. We happened upon a 30-something couple and my wife asked a question after finding out they spoke English. No sooner had my wife asked her question when the lady asked if we were from Philly. :rollover We were dumb-founded and incredulous. The lady then said that her Dad spent a number of years in Philly and she recognized the accent immediately.

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
People here often comment about my accent (yeah, like Oregon doesn't have one), but not nearly as often as when I lived in the midwest.

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM
People here often comment about my accent (yeah, like Oregon doesn't have one), but not nearly as often as when I lived in the midwest.

Yeah, that is certainly true about the Midwest. My wife's sister lives in Wisconsin, near the Illinois border. OMG, just try getting a glass of water with a meal or a soda.

1 Water is pronounced wood-er in Philly. I have no idea what what-er is (as pronounced in the Midwest).

2 What we call SODA, they call POP.

3 We dry ourselves with a TAL; though it is spelled TOWEL, it is prounounced TAL.

4 When I'm riled, I might cop an ADDYTOOD. Don't know what this ATTITUDE thing is.

Geez Louise :rollover

Eric
January 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
1 Water is pronounced wood-er in Philly. I have no idea what what-er is (as pronounced in the Midwest).
I'd put the midwest version as closer to watt-er, but you do have a point about people tending to mumble and shorten vowels.

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
And Philadelphians call their city Fluffya

NWBasser
January 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Ha ha!

It pegged me from The West. It further notes that I represent the lowest common denominator and most other people would say I have no accent (unless I'm a SoCal surfer).

All true. I have about as much accent as a TV news anchor or game show announcer.

Do folks from the PacNW have any discernible accent?

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
NW, you gotta hear the news anchors from the Eugene stations! The PNW accents are atrocious. The Portland (I get both markets from Comcast) news folks are much more neutral. Whenever the wife is watching the Eugene news, I change the channel.

NWBasser
January 27th, 2012, 12:22 PM
NW, you gotta hear the news anchors from the Eugene stations! The PNW accents are atrocious. The Portland (I get both markets from Comcast) news folks are much more neutral. Whenever the wife is watching the Eugene news, I change the channel.

I was referring to the major network anchors like Brian Williams, et al.

I'm not surprised that anchors in Eugene would have an accent. That place is known for a lot of weed use and the attendent slow, sloppy speech.:whatever:

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Wow, talk about your stereotypes.......

NWBasser
January 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Oops. Yeah, I think I went more than a little overboard there. Sorry about that.

Eugene is somewhat stereotyped as being an odd admixture of neo-hippies and loggers. Much the same as Bellingham, WA being stereotyped for high weed use.

Tig
January 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Your Result: The South http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif
I have never had a strong accent because I never wanted to be confused with an uneducated redneck. Some stereotypes you just need to avoid! My brother is the same, but there is a slight draw that comes with the location.

Languages and dialects have always been interesting to me.

In East Texas, they add syllables... Beer sounds like "BEE-err". Hell sounds like "HAY-yell". The "R" sound is also exaggerated, which is the exact opposite of a New Englander's diminished "r". Also, people who pronounce bayou as "bye-YOU" are not from SE Texas or parts of Southern Louisiana. It's "by-yoh".

I'm sure Mrs. Tig will score close to a Philly accent. When I hear someone say "wood-er" (she does), that targets them to be from the area, including Delaware and parts of South Jersey.

guitartango
January 27th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Funnily enough American TV portrays us Brits as Stiff upper lips types and we all sound like the Queen (and i don't mean Freddie Mercury).

Anyway this is how a ESSEX BIRD sounds like...mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vTzuZk1OHA

guitartango
January 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Now some of you may need me to translate this into American

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vA-8nVdrk0

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
NW, Offended? Me????? Eugene might deserve that, but the kids on the air don't fit the stereotype. The young women are particularly grating, especially if they have that horrible west-coast "vocal fry" affectation.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/12/vocal-fry-creeping-into-us-speec.html

guitartango
January 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM
And this is how all ya Americans sound to us :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3CFzahrRs&feature=related

stingx
January 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Your Result: The Inland North

Spot on with regards to northeast.

Ch0jin
January 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Inland north...of course my accent is neither really all American nor British, but a bit closer to Brits maybe. When I was in the U.S. people usually took me for a Briton if they were naively american, but Brits and canadians or non-natives usually guessed Australia.

Yeah when I was in the US people mostly seemed to assume I was British before Australian. I have no idea why, but I suspect maybe more English tourism or culture in the US than Australian perhaps?

Ch0jin
January 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
h'mm my previous post vanished...

Long story short...it picked me as Northeast, NJ, NY etc. Guess it doesn't work on Australians ;)

marnold
January 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Funnily enough American TV portrays us Brits as Stiff upper lips types and we all sound like the Queen (and i don't mean Freddie Mercury).

Anyway this is how a ESSEX BIRD sounds like...mate
It says I can't view that video in my country. Anyway, I'm always amazed at the number of different accents just in the greater London area. Heaven only knows what "Cockney" is, even without the rhyming slang. I've watched enough British T.V. that I don't have an issue with most British accents, but when someone Cockney gets going, I've got no clue.

I've found that often times when Brits try to imitate Americans they a) end up doing what I call the "constipated rich white man" accent, and b) have a hard time not putting "r"s on the ends of words that end with vowel sounds like "Ottawa" becomes "Ottawar."

Here's an interesting thing I found on the YouTubes where a Brit gives advice on sounding like a generic American.
p5T3ubSdhSM

His comment on making "t"s sound like "d"s is something I wouldn't have thought of. It certainly was true with me growing up in Michigan. We'd often say "hunter" as if the "t" was only barely there. In Wisconsin that "t" seems to be hit with a certain amount of violence. Wisconsinites also tend to make "o"s at the end of words very long. "Go" becomes "Goooooo." Sometimes there's even an unnecessary "ah" sound at the end, as if to say "goooo-ah" or as if there is almost no difference between the word "no" and the name "Noah."

The guy on "House" does the best American accent I've ever heard. I never would have dreamed that he wasn't American.

guitartango
January 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM
"The guy on "House" does the best American accent I've ever heard. I never would have dreamed that he wasn't American"

Google Amy childs or youtube her, not every English girl sounds like her.... :D As for the English actor in House, he is very well known for his part in Blackadder and Jeeves and Wooster. It's nice to a old Brit doing well overseas.

marnold
January 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I just watched a couple of YouTube videos of her. Pity the poor girl is such an introvert. I get a charge out of "Th"s pronounced as "F"s. There were plenty of times listening to her that I lost track of the conversation. I don't think I probably missed much.

Bookkeeper's Son
January 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hugh Laurie is not only doing "well", he's the highest paid actor on TV at 700 grand per episode.

NWBasser
January 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Whenever I think of an upper-midwest accent, the movie Fargo springs to mind.

Ooh yeah, you betcha!

Robert
January 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I got

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

kiteman
January 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM
The inland north here. :socool

marnold
January 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I got inland north too, which, from the description, seems to mean "Midwest." Spot on then I suppose.

And Robert, I'm guessing that the site didn't have Swedo-Canadians in mind :)

markb
January 28th, 2012, 05:00 AM
It says I can't view that video in my country. Anyway, I'm always amazed at the number of different accents just in the greater London area. Heaven only knows what "Cockney" is, even without the rhyming slang. I've watched enough British T.V. that I don't have an issue with most British accents, but when someone Cockney gets going, I've got no clue...

Cockney rhyming slang? Nah, it's all pony me old china :D

guitarhack
January 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Inland North??? As a radio announcer I was taught and still try to sound like the mid-Ohio accent that many of the national news anchors use, but after living in a small Kentucky town for many years, a little southern has crept into my speech pattern, but nobody has ever accused me of being from Wisconsin, especially once I say "y'all"!

Retro Hound
January 30th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I got Midlands, which makes sense; I'm in Kansas. I used to have a slight Southern accent, but I've spent too many years in academics now.

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Mine was West. Lowest common denominator of speech. Unless a So Cal surfer, no one thinks I have an accent at all. Sounds about right. Except when I am in a dude mood. I mean doooood!

Katastrophe
January 30th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I got "The Midlands". That's weird, because I grew up in Texas, and have a pronounced Texas twang. I've been told though that I sound like I have less of an accent when I'm speaking to larger groups.

R_of_G
February 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
And in an utterly unsurprising turn of events, my result was as follows...

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

NWBasser
February 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Mine was West. Lowest common denominator of speech. Unless a So Cal surfer, no one thinks I have an accent at all. Sounds about right. Except when I am in a dude mood. I mean doooood!

Not at all surprising as I'm sure you, Frankenfretter, and I all spec out the same on our western (non)accents.

Brian Krashpad
February 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM
"The West"

"Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida..."

I did live in Cali for 5 or 6 years as a kid. Have lived in FL for about 38 years.

Was born, however, in Memphis.