PDA

View Full Version : Harmonizing Hammer-on Fun!

Robert
January 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Now wasn't that a clever title!

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLCAIQ7I8D4

marnold
January 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM
That thing seems to track extraordinarily well. May have to bust out my EX-7 and mess with this.

I must confess that it sounded more like Boston than Metallica.

Robert
January 27th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Marnold. Yeah, the patch has some chorusy swirly thing there, which makes it sound more 80s rock than Metallica... oh well, don't blame, I didn't create the patch, matey! :)

Maybe I'll use it tonight at our gig. We are playing Rock You Like a Hurricane and might for the lead on that tune.

marnold
January 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Marnold. Yeah, the patch has some chorusy swirly thing there, which makes it sound more 80s rock than Metallica... oh well, don't blame, I didn't create the patch, matey! :)

Maybe I'll use it tonight at our gig. We are playing Rock You Like a Hurricane and might for the lead on that tune.
As a child of the 80s I love the m3 harmonization wherever it occurs. More of an observation than anything. If you can record you guys playing "Rock You Like a Hurricane," I'd love to hear it.

Tig
January 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Um, I guess I should have kept my HD500 one more week! :mybad

Robert
January 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Um, I guess I should have kept my HD500 one more week! :mybad

You are SO RIGHT! Sucks for you huh. :D

marnold
January 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM
That thing seems to track extraordinarily well. May have to bust out my EX-7 and mess with this.

Just tried it with my EX-7. It doesn't track nearly as well. Plus the one setting is 2nd up to major 3rd up, so you have to mess with the pedal to get it to do a minor 3rd up in tune. I also noticed that besides those two pitches I was also getting an octave down. Might have to reset the pedal.

marnold
February 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
OK, I don't know if the settings are the same on the HD500 as they are on the M5/M9/M13, but I've been wondering about the harmonizer settings. On the M-series anyway, besides giving the interval you also need to give the key you are in. Why would the key be relevant? I suppose it would with really complicated harmony, but basically a minor third up is always a step and a half higher than the original note, regardless of the key.

Robert
February 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Well with this Smart Harmony, if you play the minor scale and have it set as in my demo, it will add either a Major or Minor third as needed in order to add the correct harmony. Play E minor scale - if you play E, it adds G on top (minor third), but if you play G, it adds B on top (Major third). Makes sense? It's all part of the diatonic Aeolian mode.