PDA

View Full Version : Hello all...

Felix
January 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
My name is Felix & I hail from Columbia, SC. (as of 5 years ago)... Originally from NYC, & lived in 4 other states, but spent the largest portion of my life in Miami, FL... Just joined as per a recommendation from a friend. I am coming up on my 5 month anniversary of picking up a guitar. Unfortunately, I am 61. (sure wish I felt this desire when I was 15)... A very real beginner. Taking some online lessons from 'Jam Play'...

Still learning/practicing basic chords. (& discovering new ways to keep band aids on my fingertips, as not to smear blood on the fret board)... Still have no idea what got into me 5 months ago as per guitars, but considering certain physical disabilities, perhaps should have taken up something easier. Like a tuba maybe?... Not doing this for anyone or any reason but my own pleasure...

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself & say hello. Look forward to reading through the board. Thanks...

bcdon
January 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Hello, Felix! Welcome to The Fret! It is never too late to start playing guitar. You picked the right instrument to start with ... for all their charm, tubas are not nearly as cool as guitars. ;-)

Hampus
January 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hello and welcome! Better late than never :thumbsup

A tuba isn't very sexy :lecture

/Hampus

Tig
January 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Welcome to The Fret, Felix! :wave:

If your fingers have actually bled from playing, perhaps you need a new set of strings. I'm just guessing. Sometimes, old strings get nasty with junk or rusty, making them more abrasive.

Spudman
January 29th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hi and welcome Felix. :wave:Lots of good stuff to read in our back catalog.

Felix
January 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hi all & thanks for the welcome... Yea, the 'tuba' thing really didn't work out. Just the shipping charges were out of sight... Besides, I have trouble walking or standing. So a tuba would have pinned me to a chair, prompting me to call 911, which would show up in the local news, picked up by CNN, posted on You Tube, then gone viral... In which I would either have to wear a pillow case over my head for a year, or won $10K on 'America's Funniest Home Videos'... Though $10K would be nice, think I'll stick with guitars.

Plus, as pointed out, not very sexy, but doing this only for myself anyway... As for bloody fingers, didn’t have anything to do with the age/condition of strings. Even though I consider myself of at least average intelligence, for some odd reason, when I first began some months ago (on an acoustic/elect), I came to the brilliant conclusion that if 1 hour of practice is good, then 4 must be better... Also none that ‘months thing’ to get my fingers calloused. I’d wind up shredding them, try keeping band aids on (as applied by Dr. Frankenstein), trim scabs & file smooth with a nail clipper, then start again.

Took awhile to figure out that since I’m not a 9 yr. old kid playing Hendrix, the guitar is gonna dictate al least part of the process... My fingers are healed, & properly (semi) calloused. I practice chords/scales everyday. Online lessons at ‘Jam Play’, & try to be more patient... But, for whatever reason, the ‘force’ was strong when it hit me 5 months ago. I also discovered that desire has absolutely nothing to do with musical ability... Which answered my age old question, what the hell are these people doing with ‘air guitars’... Perhaps they tried the real thing also. But, not gonna quit. (wish I could, but fear it’s to late)... Thanks all again. Gonna go read. (yes there is a guitar on my lap)

Spudman
January 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
It's never too late. Just stick with it and keep playing. Regardless, even though most of us were secretly hoping for a tuba player, glad to have you on board.

Photomike666
January 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Welcome aboard. I'm a late starter as well (38 when I got my first 1 year ago). Some say 4x 15 minute sessions a day are better than 1 hour straight. Not only does it give your fingers some down time, but also gives the mind some down time; therefore fresh for the whole practice period.

I'm no expert, but learning a little every day.

Enjoy

FrankenFretter
January 29th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Weird, my first post didn't show up.

Welcome Felix! Is this the same Felix from AGF? Either way, good to have you here.

Felix
January 30th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Weird, my first post didn't show up.

Welcome Felix! Is this the same Felix from AGF? Either way, good to have you here.

Yup The same as AGF & thanks for the welcome... I've heard/discovered the same thing Mike. Practice sessions are better broken up, rather than all at once. (naturally, I had to find out the hard way)... As far as that tuba Spudman, wondering about an 'air tuba'. Got a feeling though, that it would be a quick drive to a mental ward if I tried that... Gotta say, when I read that electrics are a bit easier to learn, without my fingertips looking like groumd beef, I started researching, & kept coming back Rondo Music & AGF. I love my Agile 3125. (chambered)... For the price & quality, Agiles simply can be beat... Thanks again for the welcome.

kidsmoke
January 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/fingertips.jpg

aww come on man. Blood on a pickguard is cool!

Welcome to the fret Felix.

philiprambo
February 22nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
Hello......Thanks for the welcome.