PDA

View Full Version : My glasses broke at the hair dresser

Robert
February 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'm pissed. Rant starting.

I had a hair cut today, and got my glasses ruined in the process. I had put the glasses in plain view on the the table in front of me, which was the only place I thought of putting them on. Usually, the person cutting my hair takes the glasses and puts them somewhere safe. I went to a new hair cutting place - big mistake. I should have gone where I usually go.

So the girl takes off the cape when she is finished, and swoops my glasses down on the stone floor in the process. They crack. She picks them up and hands them to me without saying anything. I noticed the stone floor so I took a look at the glasses and of course they are cracked. The girl just said oh - perhaps they can fix them at store across the street.

I didn't say too much - I didn't really know what to say.

I went to the optometrist and they said it will be $87.00, so I phoned the hair stylist and asked if they would be able cover that.

The owner comes on the line and says they have no responsibility. She compares it to people having their wallet stolen from their coat, or glasses melted because they were put on a hot iron. WTF?

I said what should I have done then? I needed my glasses so I can see the hair cut, but I needed to take them off when she was cutting my hair. The owner said over and and over, that it's my responsibility to take care of my personal belongings, not theirs.

I finally said that I find it very disappointing to hear such an attitude from a business owner, at which point she said something like, nothing we can do, and hung up on me.

Not a big expense, but it makes me angry to be treated that way. What happened to customer care? If there such a problem with personal belongings at this place, how about the employees say something to the customer about it? Or a big sign that says "don't leave your glasses on the counter, they might get wrecked and we take no responsibility".

I have had a few hair cuts in my life, but never experienced this before. The girl didn't even say sorry when the glasses went down, didn't even look at them to see if something happened to them.

If it had been my business, I would have been more understanding, and at least do something, like the next hair cut is free, or to be honest, I would try preventing such things from happening by telling my employees - make sure the customers belongings are safe. They could have a shelf for purses, glasses, etc that is safe.

I guess I just learned a lesson!
Rant over.

:(

Tig
February 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
You have every right to be ticked off. The complete lack or accountability by both the cutter and owner are sadly all too common. Sure accident happen, but to not even offer any middle ground solutions is unacceptable.

There are many websites that allow people to review businesses, which is where I'd deliver a few short but assertive negative write-ups.

Photomike666
February 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
Every business should have public liability, and small claims lawyer should be able to easily win the case. let them know you are going to follow this process & they will probably just pay you. If their staff damaged your property they are liable. Stick it to them

Robert
February 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe I'll do a "My hair cutter breaks glasses" song, in the same vein as "United breaks guitars" ? Hehehe

Who knows, might be a youtube sensation!

:D

Eric
February 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Robert. I think the girl was probably just scared because she screwed up, but the owner acting like that is utterly ridiculous. Perhaps that's why the first girl was trying to pretend it didn't happen -- she knew the owner wouldn't have her back.

There are many websites that allow people to review businesses, which is where I'd deliver a few short but assertive negative write-ups.
A word of warning on these: I think bad reviews are frequently expunged, perhaps by those 'online reputation cleaner' agencies. We had a wretched experience with a cleaning agency last year and my wife posted a fair but pretty scathing review on yelp. When she checked back later, someone had posted another review saying my wife's review was accurate and thanking her for it. Now? No trace of either of those comments/reviews. Amazingly, the good reviews (probably mostly from shills) are still there. Hmm...

Makes me wonder how accurate and comprehensive they are.

Robert
February 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
The owner also told me in upset and defensive tone - "it happens all the time", regarding things being stolen or wrecked. Oh my, I ain't going there again!

I am not going to worry too much about it, I was just surprised about the reaction from the business owner. I thought a business like that would try and make sure the customer has a good experience. I would instruct my employees to tell the customer to keep their stuff off the table, if that's such dangerous area. I didn't realize it was. I guess I learned a lesson.

And if something happens, I would offer a few free hair cuts to make the customer happy. It doesn't take long to cut the hair on a guy like me! 5 minutes, really.

kiteman
February 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
I know this is not going to help you but I never lay my glasses down anywhere. I'll put it in my shirt pocket, hook it in my collar or just hold it in my hand. I don't trust people to look out for my stuff.

piebaldpython
February 3rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Tongue-in-cheek here..........It's your fault Robert. What are you doing going to a hair dresser??? Real men with veins who are follicle challenged go to a BARBER. A barber is a guy with GLASSES who cuts your hair. Since he wear glasses he isn't going to mess up yours. A hair dresser wears CONTACTS and couldn't give a rat's butt about your glasses. :D

marnold
February 3rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
It doesn't take long to cut the hair on a guy like me! 5 minutes, really.

I was just stunned that you needed a haircut. :poke

FrankenFretter
February 3rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
I agree that the owner should have expressed more culpability. No offer of any recompense? Ridiculous. Not a professional way to run a business.

Robert, I just found a place that offers your first pair free (single vision lenses included), with a very impressive line of frames. You pay the shipping (in my case $10, and I do think they have a location in Canada). I should be getting my pair on Tuesday, so if they're not horrible, I'll be very happy. If you're interested, I'll send you a link. I also found a place that will replace your lenses for $10 plus shipping. I may use them as well, since I have two pairs that have pretty scuffed up lenses.

Make sure and get the word out to your friends and neighbours that they should avoid that place!

Robert
February 4th, 2012, 12:32 AM
FrankenFretter, sounds interesting. Pass along the link.

Marnold, well I don't have much left, but I've been doing it myself for the last year. My wife complained it was so uneven in the back, since it's kind of hard to see back there, so I figured a "professional" haircut might be good at this point. Just didn't expect this to happen on top of it all!

I think it's unfortunate the accident happened, but I think the owner should be smarter than that. I would have gone there for a long time if they had helped out. They would have made hundreds of dollars from just me, in the long run. Now, they get nothing from me, and since I'm telling quite a few of my friends in this small town about this experience, they ain't be getting business from my friends either. :) Not smart.

deeaa
February 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Sure they need to compensate for your damages! It wasn't you who dropped them! Entirely different from having a wallet stolen etc.

Tig
February 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
A barber is a guy with GLASSES who cuts your hair. Since he wear glasses he isn't going to mess up yours. A hair dresser wears CONTACTS and couldn't give a rat's butt about your glasses. :D

I suggest Pink Floyd the Barber

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/23/27679071_b736002f65_o.jpg

FrankenFretter
February 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Marnold, well I don't have much left, but I've been doing it myself for the last year. My wife complained it was so uneven in the back, since it's kind of hard to see back there, so I figured a "professional" haircut might be good at this point. Just didn't expect this to happen on top of it all!

I think it's unfortunate the accident happened, but I think the owner should be smarter than that. I would have gone there for a long time if they had helped out. They would have made hundreds of dollars from just me, in the long run. Now, they get nothing from me, and since I'm telling quite a few of my friends in this small town about this experience, they ain't be getting business from my friends either. :) Not smart.

I should have my pair from them in a few days. If they're junk, I'll let you know. If they're decent, I'll post the link. I'll get you the link for the $10 lenses if I can find it...it's around here somewhere.

Edit: Found the link. LensesRX (http://lensesrx.com/3473-simple-eyeglasses-lens-replacement.html).

otaypanky
February 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
You might want to share your experience with others by posting feedback. I often find when doing an internet search for a business that they are usually listed on sites that also have reviews ~
Glasses are one of those things that to me seem unbelievably over priced, like crazy glue, lighting fixtures, and Gibsons

FrankenFretter
February 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM

I got the glasses in the mail this morning. I ordered them on the 31st of January, so I didn't think they'd be here yet. The quality is excellent, and they look very nice. I'm extremely impressed with this company. I should point out that I have absolutely no affiliation with them, this was my first experience with them. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again. Here is my personal referral link (http://www.coastal.com/refer/frankenfretter). I got this pair (http://www.coastal.com/glasses/frames/joseph-marc-4086-brown-tort/prod24150.html), and I couldn't be happier. There doesn't seem to be a limit to the frame cost for the first free pair, at least not as far as I could tell.

Edit: Just looked on the site, and the free pair seems to only be for this month. Use the code "firstpairfree" at checkout.

NWBasser
February 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I suggest Pink Floyd the Barber

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/23/27679071_b736002f65_o.jpg

:rollover

Oh man, I spit coffee all over when I saw that!