PDA

View Full Version : why Music?

kidsmoke
February 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hey guys. Wanted to share, haven't been around much, but ya'll still seem to me to be my community of folks who get this whole guitar thing, on all the various levels that it hits us.

My girlfriends niece is a precocious little girl. Three years old, loves anything remotely musical. She's been buried under typical toys r us caliber "musical instruments" by members of the family, but GF and I have really tried to engage her a little deeper, and man has she responded. We bought a "real" wooden ukelele, and anytime she spends with her "Tia", (spanish for aunt, for those who don't know) they listen to and dance to music. Whenever she comes to our house, she makes a beeline to my music room, and grabs a shakers or a tambourine, climbs on my stool, and sings into the mic, which is always hooked up to my Marshall acoustic amp.

My girlfriend snapped this shot with her phone recently, actually, she took a bunch, but this one means the most to me. Two things jump out at me. Number 1, her hands are moving, I was trying to show her to strum using her nails on the downstroke, and thumbnail on the upstroke, and she was taking it to heart. number two, look at the expression on her face. That is not a manic childish smile. That is a contented, engaged and happy girl, thoroughly engaged. No TV, no silly toys. All of her senses and intellect is engaged. When I saw her face, I was humbled to think that, despite the fact that I'll never be great guitarist, I've got something truly worthwhile to share, even if it's only enthusiasm, it matters. Worth every hour and penny I've spent on this endeavor to be a part in her discovery of herself.

PS, that's a Billy Gibbons designed Hondo Chiquita with a Dimarzio p'up. Thing is PERFECT for her!

Just wanted to share.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/menalyssa.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/alyssa.jpg

Spudman
February 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cool! You never know when inspiration and motivation will strike. And nice Washburn on the wall too.

Tig
February 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I love it! She has some very positive influences. :socool

I know people who have no connection to music at all. It is something they just never connected with or never had the inclination for. I usually really "get" these people. Maybe the only problem is that they never had a musical environment growing up. Not a problem with this little cutie!

R_of_G
February 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Great pics TK!

My daughter is three and one of her favorite things to do is play music with me. I enjoy that better than playing with any of the other people I play with. Those are the memories I want her to have of the time her childhood with her dad.