PDA

View Full Version : thick coating on my Dot's fretboard?

sirplayalot
February 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Looks like there's some kind of coating on the rosewood board on my Dot which darkens the color as well. Anybody else notice this. I think I might just have a thicker coating on this particular guitar as my Epi 61 SG reissue doesn't have this heavy coat. I went over the fretboard with some orange oil and 0000 steel wool but it didn't remove much so I'm just leaving it alone as it's not a big deal. Just curious if other Epi owners have this?

Spudman
February 4th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I've never seen any coating of an Epiphone rosewood fretboard. Are you meaning that it's a dye to make the fretboard darker or is there some sort of finish on the board? Did you get the guitar used or new?

sirplayalot
February 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I bought it new, now that you mention it it could be a dye to make the board darker.

old mark
March 14th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Should not be anything on there at all. They use pretty good rosewood, uncoated.

jtees4
March 17th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Doesn't sound normal, and even if it is dye it shouldn't feel like a coating of any kind really. I do know for a fact that Gibson dyes some of their fretboards (they said it in an email to me), but I do not know that Epiphone ever does.