PDA

View Full Version : New

47Taskmaster84
February 7th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hello, This is my first post here just joined today.
I am a begginer Guitar Player. I Listen to all kinds of Rock, and I play rock.
My brother is a Drummer so once I get a amp we will play together. I also have 2 friends, one who is a bassist and the other a singer so we kinda sorta have a band. No name yet though for the band.
Anyways I have been looking for a good guitar forum site and Hear it is so Thx.

Commodore 64
February 7th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hi, and welcome. What kind of amp are you looking for? What's your budget? I might suggest looking on Craig's List for an old P eave of some sort. $200 bucks will get you a lot of used amp. I got a Bandit for $25, which needed $10 in jacks to get up and running.

47Taskmaster84
February 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Anything cheap. I had found one on Amazon for $24.
ANy thoughts about this AMP?

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Watt-Black-Guitar-Amp/dp/B001KYJHK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328628705&sr=8-1

Commodore 64
February 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Without a doubt, that amp would be absolutely terrible in every single possible way. If you gotta buy new, be prepared to spend $120 and get a Vox Pathfinder 15R. (http://www.amazon.com/VOX-Pathfinder-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier/dp/B000RW1ZQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1328638732&sr=1-1) Check Guitar Center's used section too. There are always Vox VT15 or 30s at my local one for 75-$100. A 15watt amp will get you by if you want to play in a band setting, as long as the drummer isn't a beater. I've gigged with a Fender Pro Jr. which is a 15w tube amp.

Also consider the Fender Mustang (http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustang-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0042EZH6W/ref=pd_cp_MI_0): should be able to nab one of those for $100.

Eric
February 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hi 47T84. Welcome to the forum.

I also saw your other thread asking for beginner song suggestions. It's a little hard to know what you listen to without examples, but based on the top 100 from ultimate-guitar.com, I'd say "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon should be easy enough if you limit it to the power chords.

For amps, Commodore 64's suggestions are good. I personally think the best way is to get connected with some other guitar players. It seems like a lot of people have a lot of extra gear they would be willing to sell, so you could probably get a good deal if you can find some friends who have amps.

If you're not willing and/or able to look for used amps or get to know people who have equipment already, I'm not sure what to say. Something like a Fender Frontman 25R or Fender Mustang I would probably get you started though.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

Tig
February 7th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Welcome to The Fret!
:wave:

I second the Fender Mustang I amp. Excellent quality for very little cash. I have one that I may trade for a bigger Mustang.

47Taskmaster84
February 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Thnx for the imput, most everyone is saying the Fender Mustang 1. Would it be able to stand up to a drummer and/or bass?
Also how long will it last me?

Commonde (?) Is your avatar pic of Spaceballs? Awesome movie!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup

Tig
February 7th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thnx for the imput, most everyone is saying the Fender Mustang 1. Would it be able to stand up to a drummer and/or bass?
Also how long will it last me?

Something like the Mustang I will always be good to have around for home and practice, so it should last as long as you like it.

The Mustang II is exactly the same as far as amp models and effects, but is 40 watts instead of 20, and has a 12" speaker (slightly better low end) instead of the I's 10". They run $200. If you like the Mustang and have the $200, the 40 watt might allow you to not have to get a second amp for a while if you are just jamming with some friends. In a club setting, it might need to be miked.

Katastrophe
February 7th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I tried out my Mustang I at a house with a drummer and another guitar player, just for grins and giggles two weeks ago. First of all, for 20 solid state watts, this little sucker is LOUD. As long as the drummer was playing softly, the drummer could hear me, but the volume was cranked. I could hear myself still when the drummer turned up the intensity a little, but I was right next to the amph, which was elevated on a chair. Playing at live music volumes, no way, without a microphone.

For rock music, and playing out somewhere, I'd recommend at least a Mustang III, but that's way more expensive than what you're looking at... Good responses from everyone else, too.

bcdon
February 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Welcome aboard! :dude

FrankenFretter
February 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Welcome to The Fret!

Another line of amps to look at would be the Roland Cube series. I have a Cube 60 (no longer made), and it's got some fantastic tones. I also think the Fender Mustang series is a great bargain, with very usable tones. Good luck with the hunt!

Robert
February 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Welcome!

I second the Vox, Mustang and Roland Cube recommendations.

Zip
February 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM
You might want to take a look at Craigslist. You can usually find some crazy good deals there.
Example - here's a 150Watt Line 6 amp for under 100 bucks. http://greenville.craigslist.org/msg/2841592449.html Look in your local Craigslist for a few days, see whats out there.

Edit: Today, there's an Epi Valve Jr. tube amp for $100 locally. Great deals, if you're patient.