PDA

View Full Version : Names?

47Taskmaster84
February 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I know some ppl who have named their guitars. I have also heard that ppl like Eric Clapton and B.B. King have named their guitars.
So my question to you is have any of you named your guitar/other instruments?

deeaa
February 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
My buddy had a Gibson he called 'Debbie' for obvious reasons in the 80s...pretty much all my axes are customs so they have names like 'Davette' and 'Stratoblaster' but that's about it for me.

riverrick
February 8th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Not yet!!

Spudman
February 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
My original ash Strat was named Rainbow after Blackmore's Rainbow. I saw him playing a guitar with the same finish while he had the band.
Otherwise, I haven't named any of the other 75 guitars that have come through the house, my accordian or cajon that I have. I guess some people do that often though.

piebaldpython
February 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I didn't name any of my regular gits but I have named a few of my lap steels.....I have a lap steel (made by Industrial Guitars out of aluminum) that I named Roadhouse Robbie. The kind of git that should have been in the Patrick Swayze movie, Roadhouse. Anyway, this lap steel could easily double as an "attitude adjuster" during a brawl.

47Taskmaster84
February 8th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Cool. Mine I have named Wile E. after my favorite cartton character Wile E. Coyote

Commodore 64
February 9th, 2012, 08:10 AM
If "Tele", "jackson", "Samick Jazz Master", and "Samick Tele" count as names then, yeah, I guess I name my guitars.

msteeln
February 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I've been compelled to do this only once, after a friend passed away much too soon, who owned a guitar store yet told me where a Magnatone M10 amp was being sold when he could have made easy money off me as it was only $50. Luke is so more than your average amp, but the real Luke was so much more than your average person. Some people simply need to be remembered every day.

Eric
February 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
IIRC, I named my LP Clarence and my acoustic Louis. Not sure why though; I think somebody else may have named Clarence.

None of the other guitars have been around long enough to deserve names just yet.

R_of_G
February 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I haven't named mine other than "The Gibson," "The strat" and "The acoustic."
Very creative, I know.

sunvalleylaw
February 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Nope. Other than as R_of_G did. Strat, tele (or CV), Hag (or Vik), Martin, Beach acoustic. That's about it.

I don't think of them, or refer to them as "she" either. (or "he" for that matter).

Brian Krashpad
February 14th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Yep, I've named my electrics, though not my acoustics. Most names are based on color or model name, and all have some sort of logic behind them, though in some cases that logic is attenuated at best.

Here they are with their names, see how many you can figure out why they have the names they do! (Note: while many are obvious, figuring out at least a couple of the others is unpossible without "insider information.")

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167872_500391433878_512618878_6031349_6304565_n.jp g

Left Column / Right Column:

Daisy / Dani
Farrah / Goldie
Stormy / Corinne
Joan / Sonia
Seven / Candy
Violet / Ol' Blue
Honey / Theresa
Chrissie / Natalie
Birdie / Brownie
Ruby / Raquel
Cherie / Rickie
Nell / Blondie

And no, when you have 3 Telecasters, you can't just call them "the Telecaster." It's actually more efficient to say "Brownie" than "the Tex-Mex Tele Special," or even "the brown Tele."

But I don't do it for efficiency's sake. It's fun. When my kids were little they especially got a big kick out of it. Not that I don't.

And yes of course guitars are of the feminine gender. "C'est la guitarre, n'est-ce pas?"

R_of_G
February 14th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Sweet collection Brian.

I guess now that I sold it, the Strat's new name is "George's Strat." At least that's how I'll refer to it. :)

Brian Krashpad
February 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Sweet collection Brian.

I guess now that I sold it, the Strat's new name is "George's Strat." At least that's how I'll refer to it. :)

That should be used to play country: "George Strat!" ;)

Although in fact it looks like ol' George always plays acoustic:

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/xlcountry.com/files/2011/10/92996264.jpg