PDA

View Full Version : Structure?

Mac Morganfield
February 10th, 2012, 04:26 AM
I've been thinking quite a bit recently about song structure. I'm not making a list of 'The Greatest' or 'The Top 10' but, as much as i like impressive solos ans inventive chord sequences, it tends to relatate more to the guitarist specifically. Hey, i know this is a guitarist enthusiast board but i'm really appreciating how the guitar lends to the songs context.

If i'm not making myself clear, i'll try to give a couple of examples. Have you ever listened to 'Sweet Child In Time' by Deep Purple or 'Stairway to Heaven' by Led Zeppelin and then about three quarters of the way through when the momentum has built up, your mind flicks back to the slow, melodic start of the song and thought 'Hang on, how did we get here?' and flicked back to the beginning of the track, turned the volume up and payed a bit more attention? (This usually happens when i'm driving).

Similarly, when listening to 'More Than a Feeling' by Boston, the start is melodic and thoughtful, then it builds up with the aggressive electric chords, comes down just a little then bang, your into a momentous emotional solo.

You've got to admire some songwriters eh!

Monkus
February 10th, 2012, 06:16 AM
That happens to me all the time, lol. I believe that the song will dictate the structure. A lot of it is generating and keeping interest, while traversing the emotional content of the ideas. Some explanations can be found like here:

http://www.songwriting-guide.com/song-structure.html

at the end of it all though, the idea should have resolution and leave the listener satisfied, whatever shape that takes.