PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if this is good news or not...

FrankenFretter
February 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
They're putting in a Guitar Center just half an hour from me. That makes it pretty convenient to go and spend money. I guess I can expect the usual poorly set-up guitars to be hanging there, but at least I can go and do my part to drool all over them. Maybe I'll actually get there soon enough that they won't all be tuned to drop-D yet. One nice thing is that if I find something I have to have in their used section online, I believe that they'll ship from one GC to another at no cost to me.

I do worry about the local store in that area, Uptown Music. They've been pretty good for matching prices, and the folks there are decent. Having a GC in town will probably force them under, which is a shame. Here is a link to the local newspaper story (http://keizertimes.com/?p=10471). Interesting to note that after just a few negative comments, they closed the comment section.

kiteman
February 11th, 2012, 11:24 AM
That may be good news for you after all. More selections and better prices (hopefully).

The bad news for me (maybe, they're overpriced) is the only music shop in the south side retired and closed shop.

Spudman
February 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
One nice thing is that if I find something I have to have in their used section online, I believe that they'll ship from one GC to another at no cost to me.

And therein is the benefit of the new store. Unfortunately, it's also a source of great temptation. Good luck with your GAS.

mapka
February 16th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I do worry about the local store in that area, Uptown Music. They've been pretty good for matching prices, and the folks there are decent. Having a GC in town will probably force them under, which is a shame. Interesting to note that after just a few negative comments, they closed the comment section.

Thats why they are called the Walmart of guitar stores

FrankenFretter
February 16th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Well, even though it is the Wallyworld of music, I'll be there for opening day today after work. I should probably leave my wallet home, but you never know what kind of doorbuster deals they might have. I have heard it's a pretty small store. That might be a good thing.

Eric
February 16th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I don't think they ship from store to store for free, just FYI. At least they haven't done that for me in the past.

Have you been practicing your shredding skillz so that you can play the same thing for hours on end at obscenely loud volumes to a bunch of people who don't care at all? That's why I love Guitar Center!

They probably opened one in your area because market research informed them that you alone would provide enough business to the store to keep them financially solvent. You have a lot of responsibility on your hands now, young man.

NWBasser
February 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Have you been practicing your shredding skillz so that you can play the same thing for hours on end at obscenely loud volumes to a bunch of people who don't care at all? That's why I love Guitar Center!

They probably opened one in your area because market research informed them that you alone would provide enough business to the store to keep them financially solvent. You have a lot of responsibility on your hands now, young man.

:rollover

FrankenFretter
February 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I don't think they ship from store to store for free, just FYI. At least they haven't done that for me in the past.

Just stopped by there and they don't open until 7PM. Dang it!

I hate playing in stores. I usually keep the volume down quite a bit. I need to learn some good licks just for those circumstances.

NWBasser
February 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I need to learn some good licks just for those circumstances.

Why? Nobody will listen to anything you play anyway.

I usually reserve my worst slapping and crappy wankery for GC. I think it's funny to go in there and play like crap. If there's someone in there blasting away on guitar, I'll play a bass really loud and off-time/off-key to what they're doing to throw them off.

The exception is when I'm actually trying out a guitar or bass to possibly buy. Then I play notes up and down the neck listening for dead spots, rattles, etc. Much more analytical than musical though.

marnold
February 16th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I did have one cool experience at a GC. I started playing a song on a Geddy Lee bass when someone playing guitar elsewhere (I couldn't see them) started playing the guitar part. Sort of an impromptu jam session.