PDA

View Full Version : We should have work gloves reviews!

poodlesrule
February 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM
After burning myself again around the kitchen oven Friday, catching wood splinters in the yard earlier, and working on fitting some baseboard heat sheet metal strips today, gloves are on my mind..!

We should post work gloves reviews!
How about a commercial sponsor?

sunvalleylaw
February 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I get the Golden Eagle deerskin gloves from the hardware store all the time for work, but really for cycling, nordic skiing etc. No need to spend lots of extra dough to have them say "Fox", "Pearl Izumi" or "Swix" on them. Kinco makes some great gloves that can be used for downhill skiing. These gloves work for work too, but I hate to waste them as my work gloves always get trashed. I like to use the new pairs for sports, and as they start to wear out or get dirty, they can be rotated into the work glove inventory. I like to have separate pairs for wet and/or dirty work and more dry work like building, too.

Spudman
February 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM
For hardcore lifting and nasty chores I use a cowhide glove found at my local industrial supply for less than $10 per pair. Some Wells Lamont cowhide are also a favorite for hard work and I can sometimes get a good deal at Home Depot on them. Occasionally I'll use pigskin from the industrial supply store (less than $10) for wet, messy and nasty work. When more tactile feedback is required I'll go with deer skin also from the same store.

In the kitchen I use a mitt that goes up to the middle of my forearm. I've learned my lesson with that one. For surgery I use latex. I don't care for the lack of feel in the nitrile gloves.

Katastrophe
February 12th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Geez, poodlesrule, you sound like me when I do work around the house! I've had some cheapie Wells Lamont gloves that I got at Wal-Mart years ago. They have a drawstring to fit around the wrist, and are flexible. They fit well, are tough, and work great.

I've also had good luck with the cheapie mechanic's gloves from the same brand.

Ch0jin
February 12th, 2012, 11:45 PM
....or safety glasses reviews.

I got a little chunk of aluminium amp chassis in my eye running my jigsaw yesterday. No real damage, just annoying as heck as it's scratched my eyeball :(

(so yeah, squinting while staring at your cut line doesn't work as well as safety glasses do, just FYI .......)

Tig
February 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Finger mojo to you, poodlesrule.

I used to subject my fingers and hands to all kinds of abuse as part of everyday living, etc. Now, just as I'm about to do something questionable or risky, I think, "If you mess up those fingers, you won't be able to play guitar for a week or a month!".

I'm taking better care of my hands and fingers thanks to guitar playing. I still have 6 hand/finger/wrist fractures from the past that haunt me since they are all at or across a joint. :spank

otaypanky
February 14th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I work with really sharp blades all the time and always try and stay completely focused. But working around the house and yard I rarely wore gloves. So with that plan I ended up with two huge splinters deep down in my fretting hand index finger last year. 'Thought I got 'em both all the way out but a few weeks later it was pretty evident something was still in there. 'Had to have some minor surgery and I'm such a sissy I was freaked about it. It wasn't bad at all and the doctor found a sizable piece still in there. So now I buy 10 packs of work gloves and they are everywhere, barn, workshop, garage, truck.
As long as I get to them before our puppy does, they work well. She says they taste great!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/6f85800a.jpg

deeaa
February 14th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I'm glad I wear glasses usually, they work as safety glasses.

I hardly ever wear gloves for work, because I can never find them when I need. The result is, at any time I will have anything from 4 to a few dozen small healing or fresh cuts or bruises. Loads and loads of tiny white scars too. And more often than not, some paint on my hands too, like just the other day I sprayed some paint on a guitar body and didn't bother hanging it, just sprayed on my hand, so now my hand is half black and it won't come off until in a few days I guess. Doesn't bother me.

My wife however complains I always ruin my only pair of good jeans by painting on them or whatever.

What I REALLY should do, however, is when I spraypaint or sand materials etc. I should wear a mask...I have several times gotten really sick when I've inhaled paint fumes etc...they irritate the lungs, and soon you end up with a terrible cough and get sick. That's stupid...but I should wear a mask. Also eyeglasses get this paint mist all over them, and it's sometimes hard to remove without scratching the lenses. So I probably am actually covered all over in tiny paint particles :-)

Tig
February 14th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Same here with the eye protection and mask. I once had some wood splinters in my eye back in my carpenter days, and that taught me a painful lesson. http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/messedup.gif
My lungs are in bad enough shape without introducing dust or toxins into them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2QApwtE8zQ

marnold
February 14th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'm short three fingertips due to an abject failure to properly operate a snowblower.

otaypanky
February 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Anyone ever see this? It's pretty amazing

http://www.sawstop.com/

Tig
February 15th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Anyone ever see this? It's pretty amazing

http://www.sawstop.com/

Really cool use of technology. I'm super careful when using my various saws, but having a safeguard like this would be nice.

http://www.sawstop.com/wp-content/themes/sawstop/images/hero_howitworks_02.jpg

marnold
February 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I was talking with a local shop teacher. They just got one of those. I'm told that it works great, but if it actually _is_ used, it costs a very large amount of money to get it up and running again. I suppose when you compare it to someone losing a limb . . .

otaypanky
February 21st, 2012, 12:52 AM
huh, I didn't realize that ~