PDA

View Full Version : Grammys? Thoughts and impressions?

sunvalleylaw
February 13th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I only caught the last hour and a half, though I have the rest DVR'd so I can go back and see the Foos and Grohl's acceptance speech. I was not that excited about the Foos sandwiched in between the hip hop stuff (which was ok, but what was up with the crowd waving those lighted dildos around?) and the techno weirdness. Then we had to sit through like 5 minutes of exorcism lady? I did not enjoy her stuff at all. I did like the ending with Grohl and others (including Bruce) jamming with Paul on one of my favorite pieces of music.

I also thought Wilco was up for something. I have to go back and watch the beginning couple hours to see what happened.

Oh, and the woman who covered "I will always love you" in honor of Whitney tried valiantly, but sadly, came nowhere close to Whitney's performance. IMHO.

I don't have a problem with Adele winning some stuff. She sounded good, and seems to avoid the autotune thing. She should sing her acceptances though. She does not speak nearly as well as she sings. Ok, enough snarkiness. It was fun to watch anyway.

Thoughts?

R_of_G
February 13th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I still don't quite get the whole Adele thing.

She has a powerful voice and good control of it, but quite frankly, the tonal quality of it isn't pleasant to my ears. I'm at least somewhat pleased that people do seem to want to hear soul music, but if there's soul singing to be done, give me Sharon Jones or Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes) or Star Anna. To my ears, all three of them out-sing Adele and with a greater degree of authenticity.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but it's the way I felt about Whitney Houston as well. There's no arguing that Whitney had an amazing vocal skill set. However, what she always seemed to lack to me was authenticity. It's why she did pop very well but not so much any kind of legitimate soul. She was like a great guitar player who played all the right notes technically perfectly but left me feeling it was no more than a technician at work, albeit a great one.

I won't discuss who won anything or who wasn't nominated that should have been because (a) awards and award shows in and of themselves are utterly meaningless, and (b) this is the Grammys. If we don't by now expect them to be dominated by mostly substandard record company darling acts, we haven't been paying attention.

That said if anyone can make a plausible argument that Lady Antebellum's album should even be mentioned in the same breath as Jason Isbell's, I will take apart my guitar and eat it piece by piece.

marnold
February 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I don't dislike the Foo Fighters, but they are neither hard rock nor metal. Grohl does know what metal is, as evidenced by his shirt. They've never gotten that category right: see Tull, Jethro.

I listened to the Red Wings tie the NHL record for consecutive home wins instead.

I just heard the "prayer" for Whitney and threw up a bit in my mouth.

R_of_G
February 13th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Oh, and the woman who covered "I will always love you" in honor of Whitney tried valiantly, but sadly, came nowhere close to Whitney's performance. IMHO.

Meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.

I believe that was Jennifer Hudson who performed the song last night. She's a decent enough singer but not good enough to hold up to that kind of contrast.

Seems to me that could have had Dolly Parton sing it, considering that she wrote it and all. I have no doubt she can still hit every note in it.

sunvalleylaw
February 13th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Meant to comment on this earlier but forgot.

I believe that was Jennifer Hudson who performed the song last night. She's a decent enough singer but not good enough to hold up to that kind of contrast.

Seems to me that could have had Dolly Parton sing it, considering that she wrote it and all. I have no doubt she can still hit every note in it.

I think you are right that it was Hudson. And I think your idea would have been a good one. Seems appropriate, and would have been very touching in a Grammy's sort of way. It was interesting to see Glenn Campbell. Nice to see him come out for nostalgia's sake, but not a great performance. I was not impressed by that band backing him, Perry I think.

Re: your earlier point about Whitney not having deep authenticity (to paraphrase), I am one of those who does not think an artist who has talent should have to perform music in a certain approved style or way. It is like the argument that some blues players aren't playing real blues so should be dismissed. (Mayer, Vaughan, etc.). Who makes up the categories anyway, and says a performance has to fit one? If it is well done music, that is enough. But that is really another topic. :)

It's just the grammys after all. What is one to expect. But I do think autotuned performers should be disqualified.

R_of_G
February 13th, 2012, 09:13 AM
It was interesting to see Glenn Campbell. Nice to see him come out for nostalgia's sake, but not a great performance. I was not impressed by that band backing him, Perry I think.

Didn't see the performance but I've heard that band. Glen Campbell deserves better. That'd been a nice place for a band like Wilco. They sounded great on Austin City Limits this weekend backing Nick Lowe for a take on "Cruel to Be Kind" so there's that.

Re: your earlier point about Whitney not having deep authenticity (to paraphrase), I am one of those who does not think an artist who has talent should have to perform music in a certain approved style or way. It is like the argument that some blues players aren't playing real blues so should be dismissed. (Mayer, Vaughan, etc.). Who makes up the categories anyway, and says a performance has to fit one? If it is well done music, that is enough. But that is really another topic. :)

It wasn't meant as an indictment of Houston's talent, of which there's really no reasonable argument to be made, she could definitely sing. It's simply the reason her music never really appealed to me personally.

But I do think autotuned performers should be disqualified.

At least it's own category... Best Computer-Enhanced Crappy Pop Vocal Performance?

Or to paraphrase something I read Neko Case say in an interview, if you want that note in the song, hit the f'n note.

sunvalleylaw
February 13th, 2012, 09:24 AM
It wasn't meant as an indictment of Houston's talent, of which there's really no reasonable argument to be made, she could definitely sing. It's simply the reason her music never really appealed to me personally.

At least it's own category... Best Computer-Enhanced Crappy Pop Vocal Performance?

Or to paraphrase something I read Neko Case say in an interview, if you want that note in the song, hit the f'n note.

Yeah, I took it as your own opinion. Giving mine in return. Always fun to exchange opinions with you! It is interesting! :AOK

Agree on Wilco backing. That would have been good.

Spudman
February 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I saw who was being nominated and realized that I have absolutely zero interest in this so I didn't watch it. I'm not a fan of American popular music anymore. However, I have been listening to the new Foo Fighters album and think that it's very good.

sunvalleylaw
February 13th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I like that Foos album a lot. I also like Wilco's, "Whole Love". I wish they had gotten a bit more attention.

R_of_G
February 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I also like Wilco's, "Whole Love". I wish they had gotten a bit more attention.

Meh, ultimately I'm glad they didn't. It's not as if they need the validation of an award or a pop radio fanbase. I mean, yes, they should get more attention because they're music is good, but I think the real answer is that the Grammys should get less attention.

NWBasser
February 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Although I really like the Foo Fighters, I'm beginning to find their limited rhythmic palette a bit tiring. It seems nearly all of their material has the same driving rhythm to it.

I thought it was awsome that Revelator won for best blues album, but I'd also put nominee Man in Motion at the top position too. But, maybe Man in Motion might be better placed in the R&B category for which it should have handily won.

Tig
February 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM
This is a good example of why musicians don't like watching the Grammy's: Nicki Minaj
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/nicki-minaj-grammy2012-getty.jpg

Tig
February 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I didn't watch many parts of it since Downton Abbey was airing on PBS. Bruce opened up with his new song, and I believe this was the first E Street Band live performance without Clarence Clemons. The Bruno Mars performance did nothing for me. The Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt performance honoring Etta James was OK, but Keys just doesn't have the pipes.

The awards are mostly meaningless to me since money is a motivating factor is awards shows. Dave Grohl's acceptance speech was a welcome message that not enough in the industry will take notice of:
“For me this award means alot because it shows that the human element of making rock is the most important. Singing into a microphone and learning to play an instrument and learning your craft is the most important thing for people to do. It’s not about being perfect. It’s not about sounding correct. It’s not about what goes on in a computer. It’s about what goes on in here (points to heart) and what goes on in here (points to head.)”

The highlight was Paul Mccartney's closing performance, which has already been pulled off of youtube by the Grammys.
"Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight" and "'The End", with a jam that included Bruce, Joe Walsh, and Dave Grohl (not in the photo). Poor Bruce kinda' floundered on each of his solo attempts.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/1037theloon.com/files/2012/02/jam.jpg

Just found the last few seconds that haven't been pulled... yet.

http://youtu.be/s9n_0aM81U4