PDA

View Full Version : How long should an electric water heater last?

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I've had ours for like 15 years and I'm wondering whether I should replace it or not. I'm scared that if I don't....something could happen. :confused: Any electrical doods out there have any advice? I check the breakers and connections on the elements all the time...they seem to be ok. Anyone?

ted s
December 6th, 2006, 03:27 PM
15 years doesn't sound unreasonable. The supply inlet to the tank has a "dip tube" that runs low in the tank. Supposed to prevent you from drawing the cold water that potentially just filled the tank. Typically these rot, that happened to me. If you find your hot not lasting like it used to it usually is the tube. Have you ever valved it off and drained/flushed it ? There is probably a pretty good collection of sediment in the tank after 15 yrs. Maybe one of our plumber buddies has some better info.

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM
15 years doesn't sound unreasonable. The supply inlet to the tank has a "dip tube" that runs low in the tank. Supposed to prevent you from drawing the cold water that potentially just filled the tank. Typically these rot, that happened to me. If you find your hot not lasting like it used to it usually is the tube. Have you ever valved it off and drained/flushed it ? There is probably a pretty good collection of sediment in the tank after 15 yrs. Maybe one of our plumber buddies has some better info.

I did drain and flush it when we first moved into the house we had built. That was in 1996. We used the WH about 5 years prior to that and it was given to us in brand new condition. It's probably time to drain and flush again?

The hot water is staying hot.

I'm just wondering if there would be any kind of electrical danger to something that is as old as that. I would HOPE that if anything shorted out our breakers in the panel box would trip. It's just something I always wonder about every so often I thought I'd bring it up here.

t_ross33
December 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'm a certified Water Damage Restoration Tech and you'd be surprised at how often these things "pop" (and at the amount of damage the resultant deluge can do). I think manufacturer's are offering warranties anywhere from 8 - 12 years, though I've seen 5 y.o. ones go. There are replaceable rods in some that attract oxidants and will corrode before the walls of the tank. I think you just need to crank them out with a ratchet from the top.

The one at my Dad's house is the original installed in '74. I was always after him to get it replaced. :p

Keep an eye on it. If you do have a new one installed, have them put a catch pan around the base with a hose/pipe to your floor drain. That way if it develops a small leak, the water is directed away from the rest of your house or basement, whatever the case may be.

Good luck.

Trev

Tone2TheBone
December 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks Trev. Really good advice.

Thanks also Ted.

:DR

Tim
December 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Ok mine is 14 years old. Normally one of the elements will go first. Then you get luke warm water. Elements are easy to replace. Makes sure you match it with the other. If you have left over birthday money, but them both because the second element will not be far behind the first.

Other than that the only other probelm I experienced is a cracked glass liner. If that happens you must replce the whole heater. If mine ever goes, I am thinking about getting the coil that hangs on the wall. No tank! There are less things to break with a heating coil.

t_ross33
December 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
If mine ever goes, I am thinking about getting the coil that hangs on the wall. No tank! There are less things to break with a heating coil.

Those systems are cool (er, hot :D ). No waiting, and you never run out of hot water, even after the washing machine, dishwasher, and preteen daughter's shower :rolleyes:

Trev

Spudman
December 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I've got a gas one and have no idea how old it is. It was in the house when I moved in in 2000. Do the gas ones last longer than electric? Can I run it on methane because I get that for free?

carp3nt3r
December 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Longetivity of your water heater will depend on several details.
1. location wh's in basement,garage or utility room last longer then those located in crawl spaces.
2. mineral content of your water, if your water has excess mineral content it will manifest itself by caking over the entire surface of the elements til they lose efficiency.this may also contribute to the 'sludge' mentioned earlier.
3. conditon of your pipes, if your cold water line to the wh is old galvanised iron a good bit of rust build up in the tank is possible.
best advice is, if you can afford to replace it, i would . youve already had 15 of the best years its had to offer and better now then unexpectedly. many newer more efficient models are available now as opposed to 15 yrs ago.

just my 2 cents worth, Carp3nt3r.

Tim
December 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I've got a gas one and have no idea how old it is. It was in the house when I moved in in 2000. Do the gas ones last longer than electric? Can I run it on methane because I get that for free?

I can't answer that one Spuds. From what I hear, everything is built to last 10 - 15 years. Anything over that count yourself lucky.

As Carp3nt3r stated, it all depends on several things, location, water content, and how mush build up is on the bottom. They always go when you least expect it. Like early in the morning when it is darn cold and you want to take a hot show before going to work. Brrrrrr that water is cold!!!!!!!!!!

Toss the dice there Spudsman.

Tone2TheBone
December 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
More posts! Awesome fellers I will soak all this info in. Thanks!