PDA

View Full Version : Bugera V22 thoughts...

Zip
February 15th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Just got the amp an hour ago. All stock, no mods, original tubes. Doesn't seem to have any issues, other than the gain is fizzy - but it has an FX loop, and I have a few pedals to take care of that. So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to best void the warranty? Think a tube swap is the ticket? Any thoughts??

Spudman
February 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Pour beer over the top of it. That will get rid of the warranty and give you something else to do later as well. (aren't I helpful?):D

You can do some bias adjusting that may help with the 'fizz', but also a different preamp tube might make a difference as well. Ya, all the tubes should go. I got little life from my stock set and then switched to JJs. I know there is tons of information about that amph on another forum. I just leave mine on the clean channel and turn it up. I get my dirt from other sources too.

My advice (since you asked) is that you take a bit of time and carefully tighten all the chassis and cabinet screws you can find. After that you'll be pretty bomb proof.

Congrats too.:AOK

Zip
February 15th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks. I don't really need this amph, but I traded it for a Strat on a whim (yeah, he made out way better on the deal). It's just so small and cute and...tubey.

Think a set of JJ's will open up the sound a little?

Spudman
February 16th, 2012, 12:04 AM
JJs are alright and I certainly have enjoyed the performance and sound of them, but I still wonder what it could sound like with some SED Winged Cs, EH, or Tung-sols instead.

marnold
February 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM
You can check out my thread on retubing my Jet City. If my experience is anything to go by, it would help with the fizz and to open it up.

Perfect Stranger
February 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Pour beer over the top of it. That will get rid of the warranty and give you something else to do later as well. (aren't I helpful?):D

You can do some bias adjusting that may help with the 'fizz', but also a different preamp tube might make a difference as well. Ya, all the tubes should go. I got little life from my stock set and then switched to JJs. I know there is tons of information about that amph on another forum. I just leave mine on the clean channel and turn it up. I get my dirt from other sources too.

My advice (since you asked) is that you take a bit of time and carefully tighten all the chassis and cabinet screws you can find. After that you'll be pretty bomb proof.

Congrats too.:AOK

I agree with almost everything Spudman said. The JJ's will make a huge difference. I also replace the speaker in mine with a Weber Signature Alnico. After re-tubing with JJ's and
replacing the speaker, my Bugie v22 is one of the finest sounding amps I've heard, and especially at this price point. I got my JJ's from www.eurotubes.com . They have
a complete re-tube kit for the Bugie that makes it really easy. BTW, the Bugie is probably one of the easiest to re-bias amps I've ever worked on. The only thing easier would be
not to have to do it at all.

Zip
February 25th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I retubed my Jet City with JJ's, and was real happy with the difference over the cheap Chinese valves. Tried them in my Blue Voodoo, but ended up happier with GrooveTubes in that head. I'm pretty OK with the speaker in the Bugera, but I've been running it out to a 2 12 cab I have with Celestions that sounds pretty creamy.

By the way, what did you bias it to?

Perfect Stranger
February 26th, 2012, 04:25 AM
38.7 iircc