PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: I Will Only Watch With Sound Muted From Now On

R_of_G
February 16th, 2012, 08:07 AM
You guys that follow the NFL thread know by now of my growing frustration with ESPN and their ever-increasing model of promoting personalities in sports over the sports themselves.

The Tim Tebow story arc was the most recent example, but once the football season ended, I figured that was thankfully going to end.

Along comes Jeremy Lin.

I don't understand why ESPN can't cover the "Linsanity" phenomenon without having to compare it to "Tebowmania." I mean, yes, they both captivated the media, but the network is suggesting other similarities which I find insulting to both Jeremy Lin and the collective intelligence of the viewing audience.

According to the ESPN spin, both "came out of nowhere" when "nobody believed in them" to "carry their teams to victories."

Since when is winning two BCS championships, a Heisman trophy considered "coming out of nowhere"? The SEC is essentially a farm league for future NFL talent. Lin played college ball in the Ivy League, which has put just about enough players in the NBA over the course of history to field a single team.

Tebow was the twenty-second overall pick in the draft. That suggests somebody believed in him. The fans berating John Fox and John Elway for not playing him surely seemed to believe in him. By contrast, Lin wasn't drafted at all, and was cut by two teams prior to the Knicks without ever really getting many minutes. Also, I can't remember too many fans shouting at Mike D'Antoni to make Lin the starting point guard.

I won't even get into the competence issue as I've done that at length in the NFL thread, but let it suffice to say I think Lin is performing at a higher level. Obviously they play different sports, but their roles on their teams' offenses are quite similar.

It's getting to the point of creepiness that ESPN seems to go to such great lengths to keep Tebow in the conversation. Let Jeremy Lin's story play out on its own. Maybe it's because I'm a Knicks' fan, but I find the story to be compelling enough without having to wedge Tebow into the mix.

Also, the network announced yesterday that it's removing Ron Jaworski from the MNF broadcast team to give him an expanded studio role. An expanded role for Jaws is a good thing as he's the finest analyst working right now, but he is not being replaced, leaving only Mike Tirico as the lone non-Gruden voice. I will be watching all MNF games now with the sound off.

NWBasser
February 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I'm too cheap to get the cable upgrade for ESPN.

About the only sports announcer that I can stand is Al Micheals. Any other network game and I'll just play some music while I watch.

piebaldpython
February 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM
lol The only good thing about LINSANITY is that Jon Gruden isn't involved........yet.

R_of_G
February 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM
lol The only good thing about LINSANITY is that Jon Gruden isn't involved........yet.

Yeah, but it's basketball so I expect Dick Vitale to be shouting his opinion into a microphone any day now.

piebaldpython
February 17th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but it's basketball so I expect Dick Vitale to be shouting his opinion into a microphone any day now.

Damn....forgot about DV. He is a blowhard and his screaming banter annoys the heck out of me. However, unlike Gruden......he doesn't act like his opinions are "pearls of wisdom".

R_of_G
February 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Damn....forgot about DV. He is a blowhard and his screaming banter annoys the heck out of me. However, unlike Gruden......he doesn't act like his opinions are "pearls of wisdom".

As annoying as Vitale is doing a game, at least comes off as someone who's just being the way he is. You get the feeling he'd be doing the same thing watching a game in his living room. Gruden clearly seems like he's doing some kind of "tough old school coach" act that he believes fans want to hear.

My only wish for Vitale would be for someone to explain the concept of microphone amplification to him. It's nice that at his age he's still excited about the game but man, the volume can just be a killer. Worst part is, they always put him on the really interesting games.

Tig
February 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
One bright site of Lin-sanity...
Jimmy Fallon does his Eddie Vetter, singing "Jeremy (Lin)". :rollover

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/pearl-jam-sings-jeremy-lin/1387180

R_of_G
February 24th, 2012, 05:41 PM
One bright site of Lin-sanity...

As a lifelong Knicks fan, I can think of at least one other bright side of Linsanity... having a point guard that doesn't suck.

Bookkeeper's Son
February 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I'm with NWB - watch the game and listen to music. Sports announcer drivel is about as stupid as it comes. As for sports celebrities, I could care less about the Kardashian-izing of any of them, just as I'm uninterested in the personal lives of musicians whose music I like.

omegadot
March 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I don't follow football in any capacity, but the Tebow BS did bring this about.....

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/01/13/tim-tebow-and-david-bowie-become-tebowie.html