PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Restringing

marnold
December 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
OK, since my '51 is in the shop, I decided to give my Fender some new strings. No problem, right? Aargh! What an exercise in frustration. These strings absolutely refused to wind around the tuning peg. Then I got to the high E (which for me is usually the hardest) and it went on like nobody's business. Very silly indeed. Nothing like something trivial turning into an hour and 15 minute ordeal. A new set of strings is awfully nice and well worth even this amount of stupidity.

Thanks for letting me vent and share by abject lack of fine motor skills with you.

Spudman
December 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Dude, that is why you keep beer in the fridge. It's to entice and pay a tech to do the string change for you.

Hopefully you are over your trauma and have a fresh set on and are wailing away.:)

sunvalleylaw
December 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
A new set of strings is awfully nice and well worth even this amount of stupidity.

Thanks for letting me vent and share by abject lack of fine motor skills with you.

Marnold: You don't lack fine motor skills. You were just saving your fine motor skills for PLAYING the guitar! :)

kerc
December 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
My worst restringing experience is every time I re-string my Danelectro U2. Lovely guitar, hellish string retaining design. Basically you just hook the string ball to the end of the bridge, and you gotta hold it there while you wind up the darned thing. It's a three-arm affair.

:P

mad4teles
December 7th, 2006, 05:01 AM
My worst restringing experience is every time I re-string my Danelectro U2. Lovely guitar, hellish string retaining design. Basically you just hook the string ball to the end of the bridge, and you gotta hold it there while you wind up the darned thing. It's a three-arm affair.

:P
when you re-string try just bending the ball end slightly so that it hooks in the bridge and holds there by itself thats what i used to do usually works!!!!:)

kerc
December 7th, 2006, 06:08 AM
when you re-string try just bending the ball end slightly so that it hooks in the bridge and holds there by itself thats what i used to do usually works!!!!:)

I do that and works....about 65% of the time. :D