PDA

View Full Version : You Should Have Been There

r_a_smith3530
December 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Tonight, I stopped by my local guitar shop. I wanted to pick up a couple of short (6') speaker cables to use with my bass rig. Anyway, in walks this young kid (couldn't have been any older than 16) with an old silvery gray looking guitar case. He says he wants to sell the guitar. Well, he opens it up, and out comes an old Fender Mustang. It was blue in color. It had its share of nicks and dings, but for an instrument that was made back in '66 or '67 (according to the serial number) it was pretty sweet. It still even had its original trem arm. The tuners were the original plastic knobbed Kluson's.

The kid did not know what he had, he just knew that it wasn't what he wanted. I didn't wait around to see what they offered him (they are pretty fair) or even if they bought it, but myself and one other guy did advise him to take it back home, tuck it nicely under the bed, and wait for another twenty years to bring it out again!

If I didn't have any scrupples, I probably could have had the thing for $100. It's been a while since I held a Fender guitar with a six-digit serial number!

Mark
December 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Well you could have been a good Joe and said give me the Mustang and pick out your favorite pointy guitar its on me. You still would most likely come out ahead.