PDA

View Full Version : 2x12 vs 4x12 and volume

bcdon
February 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
In terms of volume, with the same amp + guitar, would a 4x12 be necessarily louder than a 2x12 at the same setting? Or, to cut to the chase, I have a combo (with a 12 inch speaker) and a 1x12 extension cab and it sounds great at low volumes. Could I expect similar behaviour with a 2x12, or 4x12? I'm leaning towards a 2x12 just for space but I am curious if 4x12 would be any more loud given similar settings on the same amp.

deeaa
February 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I think the speaker efficiency is the key factor with these...and also how responsive the speakers are. In my experience some bigger cabs sound very cold and don't come alive without proper wattage available...so whereas the volume might not change, the tone likely will. More speakers move more air, better low end usually, but the sound can only be tested.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

NWBasser
February 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Yes and no. Yes, more drivers do typically equate to more overall volume. However, with a 4x12 you'll get phase cancellations off-axis from the cab.

A 2x12 stacked vertically will generally give much better off-axis dispersion and with one of the 12's elevated, you'll hear it quite well.

Vertical speaker arrays are used in sound reinforcement for better dispersion characteristics and this can apply to guitar rigs as well.

So, standing in front of a beaming 412 will be louder than a vertical 212, but once you move to the side a bit, the 212 would likely be louder and more clear throughout its range.

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Great responses from Dee and NWBasser.

It's been my experience that a 4x12 will feel louder, especially with a closed back, because all the sound is being pushed directly at you. Open back combos and cabs just sound different, more "open."

I had a Marshall 4x12 for years, and got tired of lugging it around. The payoff of that thump you can feel in your chest isn't worth the hernia of carrying the cab around. I'd get a closed back 2x12, and elevate it off the floor with a milk crate or an amp stand. It's a compromise, but a good one. You'll get more focused projection with the closed back, and elevating the cab will put the main sound anywhere from your knee to waist level. With your Rectifier, it should sound fantastic.

You'll save your back over time, too!

bcdon
February 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks, guys!

Kat: I had been leaning towards this Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Horizontal Guitar Cabinet. It's closed back with V30s and I've seen pretty positive reviews on the boogie board. I've seen a few appear on craigslist but I'm also heading south of the border in April so I might just get one then. Thanks again! :dude

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/images/2x12H-RectoF-LG.jpg
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/images/2x12Rectifier-Hbk-LG.jpg

deeaa
February 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
That's probably a great cab.

NWBasser
February 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks, guys!

Kat: I had been leaning towards this Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Horizontal Guitar Cabinet. It's closed back with V30s and I've seen pretty positive reviews on the boogie board. I've seen a few appear on craigslist but I'm also heading south of the border in April so I might just get one then. Thanks again! :dude

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/images/2x12H-RectoF-LG.jpg
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/images/2x12Rectifier-Hbk-LG.jpg

My friend has a vertically-aligned Mesa 2x12 with the top drive at a slant which works wonderfully. IMO, that's the most efficient way to go if you want to fill a room with sound.

If you get that cab, definitely try putting it vertically on a carpet pad or something to protect the tolex.

deeaa
February 28th, 2012, 02:21 PM
FWIW, I never liked V30's much, a bit too bright, clean and 'scooped' modern sounding for me - but I like old midrangey-soft style, 'hairy' ones like 25W Greenbacks etc. that color the sound by themselves some.

I've played a 2x12" V30 cab though thru a H&K Tubemeister and with that amp they sounded great. It mostly depends on the amp, what kind of speakers they like the best I guess, i.e. what kind of speakers they are designed for. I also like them old T75 Celestions OK, or whatever the exact label was, that are used in classic JCM800 cabs, those are really chunky and good for powerful rock. Both figure because I've used 'em with very basic-style Marshalls, and those sound too harsh with too moderns speakers I guess. I get the feeling V30's are designed for more modern sounding amps like Mesa Rectos and also clean amps.

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks, guys!

Hard to beat Mesa cabs. You are gonna be rockin'! You comin' down to Texas again?

bcdon
February 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
FWIW, I never liked V30's much, a bit too bright, clean and 'scooped' modern sounding for me - but I like old midrangey-soft style, 'hairy' ones like 25W Greenbacks etc. that color the sound by themselves some.

That's exactly the tone I'm going for with my mini rectifier. I have C90s in my Mark V combo/extension cab and I like their sound a lot too.

bcdon
February 28th, 2012, 03:29 PM
If you get that cab, definitely try putting it vertically on a carpet pad or something to protect the tolex.

I will do that. In fact I'll steal one of my wife's yoga mats when she isn't looking. :)

bcdon
February 28th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hard to beat Mesa cabs. You are gonna be rockin'! You comin' down to Texas again?

I wish, but this time I'll be heading down to Portland, Oregon. Not too much good Mexican food but you can't beat the micro-brew!

bcdon
March 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Scored a 2x12 (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/19335-NAD!-Mesa-Boogie-Mini-Rectifier-Review?p=222566&viewfull=1#post222566) last night. It sounds awesome. :dude

bcdon
March 4th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I am so happy with this 2x12 for two reasons: First, it sounds bitc'hn with the mini rectifier and secondly, I was able to reclaim my C90 extension cab for my combo, and the cleans with it are lush.

So, as far as gear is concerned, I think I am completely set until I can order a tele from Hell guitars... well, maybe I'll get a noise gate but then I'm set. :rockya

bcdon
March 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM
So, as far as gear is concerned, I think I am completely set until I can order a tele from Hell guitars... well, maybe I'll get a noise gate but then I'm set. :rockya

Oh, and maybe this too... :dude
http://www.godinguitars.com/guitars/godinperfredlinenemesis.jpg

CQOupJ5Of1s

Katastrophe
March 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Aw, hell yeah! Congrats on the cab, man! Crank that sucker until shingles start falling off the roof....and then turn it up a little louder!

That Godin looks killer, too. They have a classy way of designing guitars - even the "metal" ones!

EDIT: That strap button where the neck bolts on to the body is in a weird place, ain't it? I wonder if it would get in the way of playing screaming solos.

bcdon
March 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Aw, hell yeah! Congrats on the cab, man! Crank that sucker until shingles start falling off the roof....and then turn it up a little louder!

I cranked it a bit, but it was painfully loud in the little room I have to play in. I'm going to have to find a place to take this so I can crank it for real. :dude Thankfully it sounds great at reasonable volumes too.

My SG has the neck strap button in the same place. It is kind of annoying because I have to use a single strap just for it since the strap-locks have to be inverted on the strap (or you have to flip the end upside down to connect).