PDA

View Full Version : Haynes/trucks dazzle

piebaldpython
February 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnE6IQxPRM&feature=related

OK....ABB in concert doing Statesboro Blues. Haynes does all the slide parts and just kills doing it. Fabulous playing. In the middle of the song.....after Greg solos on keys.......Trucks fingerpicks his way through a fretted solo with no sliding at all. It's a great solo and at two points during the solo, Greg Allman and Haynes looks at each other and just smile at what Trucks is doing without a slide. Great stuff.

Duffy
February 27th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I enjoyed watching that. Great band and I kinda wish Dickey Betts was still with them, moreso as time goes by. Probably wouldn't have been an ABB after Dwayne if it wasn't for Betts, and to get fired with a fax just seems somehow out of place. I enjoy the current line up though and Gregg can definitely still get into that vibe.

Don't forget about that PBS TV special tonite, Feb. 27, at nine in the evening - supposedly a great show at the White House including some of the greats. See the other post for details.

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
SWEET!! That's the best performance of that tune that I've heard since the Fillmore East double album. Duane must have been grinnin' down on that one!

R_of_G
February 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I'll be honest with you, in the current lineup, I prefer when Derek plays the slide parts. I have nothing against Warren as a slide player. I saw many an ABB show in the Dickey/Warren era and he handled the slide duties then quite capably. I'm just partial to Derek's slide playing. None of which is to say this wasn't a good version of this song because it was.

Duffy
February 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I like that video with Derek Trucks at 14 years old jamming with them at the Beacon Theater on "One Way Out". Dickey Betts was "brothering" him along on the song. I can't find it now. Thought I had it saved. Funny how time changes things, and things change times.

helliott
February 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
They're different players, and it figures some prefer one or the other. But what a lovely choice to have to make ... they're both spectacular and together they're a force of nature. Check out the rest of the DVD that this is from (Live at The Beacon) and you'll see. Or check them out together on the 2010 Crossroads DVD.

Bookkeeper's Son
February 28th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The pitch inaccuracies on the slide guitar were too distracting to tolerate.