PDA

View Full Version : HM deal Surveyor QM brburst maple board 5 strg.

Duffy
February 29th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Hello Music has a deal on a LTD Surveyor 415QM brown burst five string with maple fretboard for 550.
Has an EMG active three band preamp and two real nice EMG pickups.
Might be great for someone.

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=13497&cat=PROMO2

- Bolt-On Construction
- 34” Scale
- Ash Body
- Maple Neck
- Maple Fingerboard
- 45mm Standard Nut
- U Neck Contour
- 21 XJ Frets
- Chrome Hardware
- ESP Tuners
- Wilkinson Licensed Bridge
- EMG MM5-TW (B) / 40P5 (N) Active p.u.
- EMG B-30 Rev-S 3-Band Active EQ
- Mini Switch Coil Tap (Br. p/u)

NWBasser
February 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Marnold bought the 4-string version of that one and loves it by all accounts.

I'm up against my limit of four basses and I don't do fives. But that is an excellent deal.

Duffy
February 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Today Hello Music has an Epi Allen Woody four string for 295. It is a real nice looking bass for a great price. Could be just right for somebody. Two New York style gold plated bass mini humbuckers.

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=13534

marnold
March 1st, 2012, 10:28 AM
Marnold bought the 4-string version of that one and loves it by all accounts.

Yes I do! Mine's the non-quilt version. That's not as good a deal as the one I got, but mine was highway robbery. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Duffy
March 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
True, and yours is realy nice.

HM has been having some real nice basses at good prices lately, like that Epi Allen Woody one with NYC mini humbuckers - that could be cool.

The thing with HM is, though, that you don't get a factory warranty, which for an Epi is a lifetime warranty. Therefore buying from HW seems to boil down to being similar to buying a mint used guitar. A mint used guitar might have a greater likelihood of being a real nice guitar without any outstanding problems, like a twisted neck, uncorrectable high action, or some other freak disconformity. It is a lot of hassling around to send a squirly guitar back and forth one or two times before you get a decent one - kind of takes the fun out of it. I have had good luck with the major internet places though but I have no idea what HM is up to or their quality of instruments to begin with. Are they factory closeouts, etc., or some other mass deals that they get and then discount? Seems like they would have to reveal if they are B stocks or returns, but who knows. They have some angle though it seems. Not getting a factory warranty seems to indicate that they are outside of the normal authorized distribution network, somehow.

The deals "look" good though, and might be worth checking out. I don't think I know any one that has bought a guitar from them yet, unless my memory fails me - which could easily be the case.

How is that Surveyor going? I have an Ibanez SR500 four string that came with Elixirs and they really have some zing to them. I'm leaving them on for now but I prefer the mellow sound so I picked up a set of flatwounds to go on sometime in the future. The modern sound of the elixirs is actually pretty cool and with that active preamp it is easy to reign them in.

marnold
March 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
How is that Surveyor going? I have an Ibanez SR500 four string that came with Elixirs and they really have some zing to them. I'm leaving them on for now but I prefer the mellow sound so I picked up a set of flatwounds to go on sometime in the future. The modern sound of the elixirs is actually pretty cool and with that active preamp it is easy to reign them in.

I've got DR Fat Beams on there. Honestly, if I was only playing rock or blues bass, I'd probably put a set of GHS Boomers back on there. However, for slapping and popping, the Fat Beams are all that. The nickel strings don't have that zing to them that the stainless ones do. The active controls do put a ton of options in your hands. The MM/J switchable pickup adds even more options. It really is a jack of all trades bass. I find that I spend most of my time on the P bass pickup. I get it when people say it doesn't sound vintagey. It sounds like what it is: an active P bass pickup. That is pretty much the official Rev. Rawk bass tone (tm). I love the neck and big frets too.

Duffy
March 1st, 2012, 09:53 PM
I like that old school deep mellow bass tone and I have my Schecter Stiletto Elite five string set up that way and the "B" string just hits those bottom notes with a beautiful mellow tone. Since getting the Ibanez SR500 I am starting to appreciate that modern hot zingy bass sound. That Ibanez is really cool, light, fast with a real thin Ibanez neck, and great boosted soapbar humbuckers.

marnold
March 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM
I hear you. The only thing my bass can't do is that fretless with flats mwaa thing. Cool tone, but it's not really in my wheel house.