PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Davy Jones

Bookkeeper's Son
February 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-02-29/obit-monkees-singer-davy-jones/53304196/1

guitartango
February 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM
The best manufactured boy band....

Spudman
February 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I guess he caught the last train to Clarksville. So long Davy.

Tig
February 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I thought I was daydreaming, now I'm a believer. http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/rimshot.gif

My sister was a big fan when she was a kid, as was Marsha Brady. :cool:

R_of_G
February 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
No disrespect to the deceased, but I'm having fun reading stuff on the internet today as people use Jones' passing to exaggerate the importance of the Monkees as well as Jones' role in the "band."

Tig
February 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Even as a kid, I wasn't a fan, but remember watching a few shows. I feel for the guy's family.

However, to keep things fun, here's an amusing online post about his passing:
As a Lowland Gorilla, I am especially despondent on hearing the news of a fellow primate's passing. To his followers and admirers, try and find comfort in the fact that he, unlike most of us, enjoyed a career and lifestyle that we could only envy. Sex, drugs and rock and roll.
..and here sit I...alone in a tree going through banana withdrawal...so sad

R_of_G
February 29th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Even as a kid, I wasn't a fan, but remember watching a few shows. I feel for the guy's family.

Exactly, which is why I meant no disrespect to Mr. Jones himself. Whatever one thought of the Monkees, he was still a human being with a family.

I'm just finding it amusing reading Twiiter posts and such from all the people who've been calling him "the leader" of the Monkees, which he wasn't.

Or they've been calling him the "lead singer" of the Monkees (which he wasn't, Mickey Dolenz sang lead on more songs than Jones and was the one the people behind the scenes pulling the strings felt was the singer that made the Monkees stand out.

I've also read today that he wrote "I'm a Believer" which is odd because I always thought Neil Diamond wrote that song (not to mention that Jones doesn't even sing the lead part on that one).

Incidentally, at one point in the early 1980s, Peter Tork worked for the same company as my father. This was several years prior to the Monkees' later 1980s revival.

Tig
February 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I'm not too sure, but wasn't Mike Nesmith the leader and "real" musician?

Bookkeeper's Son
February 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM
There was no leader because there really was no band, per se. They were put together for a TV show - they weren't called the "pre-fab four" for nothing. Nesmith was a real musician as well as songwriter - he wrote Different Drum, one of Linda Ronstadt's first hits.

As a young teenager and new guitarist in the 60s, I appreciate what the Monkees meant to me at the time. I didn't know that they weren't a real band, about lip syncing, that 3 of them weren't even real musicians, so it all looked really cool to this 13-year-old kid. I don't so much mourn Davy's passing in particular; it's just another reminder of wonderful days past.

stingx
February 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Exactly. As these people of my past drop off a little piece of me dies as well. I grew up in a great time and I hate seeing pieces fall wayside as it reminds me of days long gone and of my impending demise.

Bookkeeper's Son
February 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Exactly. As these people of my past drop off a little piece of me dies as well. I grew up in a great time and I hate seeing pieces fall wayside as it reminds me of days long gone and of my impending demise.
Amen, brother!

R_of_G
February 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not too sure, but wasn't Mike Nesmith the leader and "real" musician?

Yes, though reading a bit today I found it interesting that the record execs had Nesmith help write and arrange the songs, but part of the deal was that, at least initially, he wasn't permitted to play on the actual recordings.

Tig
February 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM

+1
I see a potential song there!

60's guy
February 29th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Amen, brother!
I agree.

There seems to be an abundance of "Who the hell was Davy Jones" here. And it comes across as if his life didn't matter when in fact he did accomplish more than anyone in his life than anyone who posts here.

The lot of you might want to step back a bit and rethink your attitudes a touch.

marnold
February 29th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I agree.

There seems to be an abundance of "Who the hell was Davy Jones" here. And it comes across as if his life didn't matter when in fact he did accomplish more than anyone in his life than anyone who posts here.

The lot of you might want to step back a bit and rethink your attitudes a touch.

I don't think anyone actually said that. If Davy Jones accomplished more in his life than I will, I sure hope you define that as "Become well known by lots of people." Otherwise you have a rather odd sense of what is important in life.

sunvalleylaw
February 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
RIP Davy.

Tig
February 29th, 2012, 11:27 PM

There is no "Who the hell was Davy Jones". I remember the TV shows and my sister's albums, but it wasn't exactly a going concern. No one is saying his life didn't matter, but perhaps question what he did, if anything, for music. Maybe he made life better for thousands of girls and early teens with entertainment. I'm not sure if I'd credit him with accomplishments on a larger scale, however.

Now about "he did accomplish more than anyone in his life than anyone who posts here", I call bullsh|t.
Did he give blood to save lives?
Did he volunteer to help people in need?
Did he adopt children and made their lives and futures brighter?
Did he fight fires, perform rescues, or save lives of injured and sick people?

Well, to the above list, I did. Not bragging here. I rarely mention any of it in fact. Just making a point about what people who post here have accomplished, particularly at a level that makes the world a better place.

deeaa
March 1st, 2012, 04:17 AM
It is very human to feel more for any other being whom you know even remotely or by his work or whatever, than any other human, despite whether there was any tragedy involved.

It's of course sad when most anyone passes away, or actually it's sad for those left behind, sure...but I must say I feel constantly way more pain about the fact that every minute that passes somewhere there is a child who's dying in pain from malnutrition, torture or just plain violently, someone who never got to enjoy life at all...so I can't really feel very sorry for anyone who's lived a long and good life and accomplished something as well. That's not tragedy, that's normal everyday life. People die all the time, as they should, and if all goes well, one can only take it as a happy thing, like I will when my parents die - I'll be really happy for them, not sorry.

syo
March 1st, 2012, 05:43 AM
What he said...

guitartango
March 1st, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hearing the Monkee's brings me back to Saturday morning TV in the 70's, the Monkees followed by the Bananna Spilts. We only had three Channels in the UK and most kids loved American TV.

Bring back Steve Austin !!!!!!

R_of_G
March 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM
I agree.

Seems to me that every single person who posted in this thread knew exactly who the hell Davy Jones was. Not one person suggested that his life didn't matter, in fact several of us specifically mentioned that, despite our perspective on the Monkees' importance, Mr. Jones was still a person with a family and his loss matters to them and the people that knew him.

You might want to step back a bit and rethink your approach to reading comprehension, as well as your definition of "accomplishment."

It's preposterous to suggest that Jones' death should nullify any criticism of the worth of the Monkees, particularly when said criticism is prefaced with "no disrespect to Mr. Jones."

omegadot
March 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
I agree.

Yeah just because you are famous doesn't automatically negate all other accomplishments. I'm gonna call BS on this entire post. Just because we aren't star humping doesn't mean we disrespect him or anything at all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

stingx
March 3rd, 2012, 10:36 AM
LOL star humping!

R_of_G
March 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
LOL star humping!

Incidentally, I just learned to play this in the last few days...

WARNING: Naughty language alert

tZjxoZdWblI