PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Thread

Tone2TheBone
December 20th, 2005, 05:58 PM
At the risk of being politically incorrect (isn't the first time)...is it just me or are the days of not knowing or not asking for things for Christmas long gone?

I remember when I was a kid I remember telling my mother or grandmother what I wish I had. I guess back then people asked too I suppose. But then now I notice that pretty much everyone I know already knows what kind of presents they're going to get even before they get them. That includes me. People, including myself, even stoop so low as to buy presents for themselves for Christmas too! Was Charlie Brown right? Have things gone really commercial? (A Charlie Brown Christmas was made in 1965!) Or have I been blind all these years? (or "selective" as it were).

tremoloman
December 20th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for that "Hello Kitty" Strat... NOT!
I'd love to find a used Fender Mustang to fix up...

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 12:02 PM
I guess in practical terms letting someone know what you'd like to get instead of someone giving you something you won't ever use is better. I miss the magic of getting something you'd never expect though.

Myles
December 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM
I'm even opposed to writing a Christmas list for people, much to the dismay of people that don't see me often enough to know the easy things to get me.

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
VM,

2 words. Gift Certificate. ;)

Actually even if people knew you were into music or something else they still don't know what to get you oddly enough. At least that happens with me. Of course maybe its because they'd be afraid of getting you something you already have or something. Hobbies or lifestyles can be very hard to pick for.

Myles
December 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Hobbies or lifestyles can be very hard to pick for.
Agreed.

Although I still usually risk getting my mother something she already has by getting her a book because she completely understands that I can't know every single book she reads.

I hate to get Gift Certificates though. They seem like such a wussy attempt. Of course having said that, a gift certificate is exactly what I am getting my sister. Wussy, but easy. Fair trade.

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM
Money or Gift Certificates. Hmmmmmm. I guess it's better than nothing? LOL

I hear ya though. And mothers are always so hard to buy for..........

Tim
December 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
I’m basically sick of the media discussing the hot topic of “Christmas”. I don’t need people telling me what to say or what not to say. Will I offend this person or that person. You can’t even wish someone happiness with out being “Politically” correct. Now I must have lawyer’s mentality before I can speak.

All I want is to be with family and eating a well prepared meal (with love) and reflecting what the season means to us. I work with Christians, Jews and even a Muslim. We all share good wishes towards each other. Sometimes the other two parties do not see eye to eye, but at different times of the year the differences a laid aside and “brotherhood and sisterhood” can be seen. We honor each others “special” days of the year.

Back as a kid I would say “Merry Christmas” to my Jewish neighbors and they would reply with a “and a Happy Hanukah to you”. No feelings hurt. Just a peaceful jester.

I have instructed my family that my wish this year is to receive nothing of earthy value. It has been a hard and painful year both physically and financially. My desire is to sit back and watch my grandchildren have a beautiful, happy and love filled morning on December 25th. I just want to lay on the floor and play with them and their toys as I did with my own children.

My gift to my family and the rest of the world (regardless of faith ) is to wish them joy peace, love and happiness and the freedom to express their joy to all people. It all starts in the heart.

I would like to wish everyone, no matter what your religious conviction is, peace, happiness, joy and love this season. I hope that 2006 brings you even more of all the above. Do not forget to tell someone that you love them, that is the best gift anyone can receive.

Tim

Tone2TheBone
December 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM
Well said Tim. I envy you already living a second "fatherly" life with your grandchildren. That is my greatest hope to one day celebrate special times with my grandchildren. Luckily my kids are still small enough that I am soaking up as much of it now as I can!

Thanks for your honesty and convictions and Merry Christmas to you Tim. Peace and great tone for everyone!

Robert
December 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Great post Tim! I wish everyone on the board all the best for the holidays and season. May your fingers play fast and tasty, and may great sounds be created.

Take good care of the people you love, and like Tim said, make sure you tell them you love them!

SuperSwede
December 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!