PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees and the Saints

NWBasser
March 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
In the news lately is that Drew Brees isn't so happy about his contract with the Saints and their hit program.

Maybe he should consider a nice wholesome city like Seattle for a new team.:socool

Hey, a guy can dream right?

R_of_G
March 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM
He'd be welcomed in Tampa like a king.

Not sure what to make of BountyGate or whatever they're going to end up calling it. When they start showing us the evidence of the alleged bounty program I'll decide.

NWBasser
March 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
He'd be welcomed in Tampa like a king.

Not sure what to make of BountyGate or whatever they're going to end up calling it. When they start showing us the evidence of the alleged bounty program I'll decide.

He'd be welcome here as The Grand Exhalted Emperor of the Great Northwest. We're so desparate for a winning sports team that we'd probably kick Bill Gates out of his mansion and give it to Brees as a signing bonus.

So far as I can tell, nobody's really making any grand denials about the bounty and the claims appear legit. I highly doubt the Saints will come out of it without major damage.

R_of_G
March 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM
One never knows anymore what Emperor Goodell will do from one situation to the next with sanctions and such. It may wind up hurting the Rams in the short term more than the Saints. The Saints may only face financial penalties. Greg Williams may be the only individual facing a suspension, in which case it would effect his new team. Impossible to predict what Goodell will do. I do know ESPN will talk about it non-stop, at least until LeBron decides to pass instead of shoot at the end of a game because apparently, that's news.

Eric
March 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Hey NWB, just out of curiosity, what is the sports culture like in Seattle? My impression was that sports took a bit of a backseat when compared with all of the other things going on in the city, though I have heard that the Seahawks' stadium is a very tough place to play. I'm curious about the perspective of a local.

R_of_G
March 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Hey NWB, just out of curiosity, what is the sports culture like in Seattle? My impression was that sports took a bit of a backseat when compared with all of the other things going on in the city, though I have heard that the Seahawks' stadium is a very tough place to play. I'm curious about the perspective of a local.

Curious as well since the Sonics weren't able to stay in Seattle. I always feel kind of bad for guys like Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook who have NBA money to live on but live in Oklahoma City instead of Seattle where they would have if the Sonics had stayed. No offense to any Oklahoma fretters, but personally, I know which of the two I'd pick.

piebaldpython
March 7th, 2012, 12:51 PM
but live in Oklahoma City instead of Seattle where they would have if the Sonics had stayed. No offense to any Oklahoma fretters, but personally, I know which of the two I'd pick.

Tongue-in-cheek here but.......hmmmm....do I pick frequent periods of rain.....OR.....constant wind with tornados thrown in to liven up the dreary, flat landscape?

Like I said.......tongue-firmly-in-cheek with this. lol

Retro Hound
March 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I think we'd take Brees in Kansas City. I just heard Payton Manning is no longer with the Colts and I'm sure we'd take him as well.

NWBasser
March 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Well, football rules here. Granted a lot of the citizens spend a great deal of time in outdoor pursuits like mt. climbing, kayaking, biking, etc. But there are a whole lot of very rabid Seahawks fans here. Being the only pro football team in the entire northwest, we also get fans from Idaho and Oregon too.

I think the "aggressive brutality" of football offers an escape from the ingrained politeness found here. I've watched quite a few games here and the noise from the fans is massive (wear earplugs!). I think they're competing with the 747's revving up at the nearby Boeing facility. It's funny to come to work after a Sunday game and hear all the hoarse voices around the office.

Our Mariners have stunk so bad for so long that they're not competitive enough to be interesting. We have an awesome ballpark here with few attendees these days. Back in the days when they did win, the place was packed nearly every game though.

Forbes magazine has listed Seattle as the most miserable sports city. I can believe that. We are very desparate here for a strongly competitive pro team.

Eric
March 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Well, football rules here. Granted a lot of the citizens spend a great deal of time in outdoor pursuits like mt. climbing, kayaking, biking, etc. But there are a whole lot of very rabid Seahawks fans here. Being the only pro football team in the entire northwest, we also get fans from Idaho and Oregon too.

I think the "aggressive brutality" of football offers an escape from the ingrained politeness found here. I've watched quite a few games here and the noise from the fans is massive (wear earplugs!). I think they're competing with the 747's revving up at the nearby Boeing facility. It's funny to come to work after a Sunday game and hear all the hoarse voices around the office.

Our Mariners have stunk so bad for so long that they're not competitive enough to be interesting. We have an awesome ballpark here with few attendees these days. Back in the days when they did win, the place was packed nearly every game though.

Forbes magazine has listed Seattle as the most miserable sports city. I can believe that. We are very desparate here for a strongly competitive pro team.
Huh. That's interesting. I only kind of buy into the no-interest-because-of-the-bad-teams thing. Most cities will be somewhat interested if the local team is winning, but that's not how I tend to define the level of interest in sports for a given city. I don't think I realized that football was so popular in the PNW.

NWBasser
March 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Huh. That's interesting. I only kind of buy into the no-interest-because-of-the-bad-teams thing. Most cities will be somewhat interested if the local team is winning, but that's not how I tend to define the level of interest in sports for a given city. I don't think I realized that football was so popular in the PNW.

I guess my best explanation would be that it takes a winning team to divert people away from summer activities like backpacking, sailing, etc. Seattle is packed with Subarus adorned with roof racks carrying bikes, kayaks, and other outdoor toys. During football season, there are far less distractions unless you're really into skiing which means lots of incredibly devoted football fans. That would apply to high school and college teams as well.

So far as basketball, there were a lot of very devoted fans of the Sonics, but nobody wanted to spring for a new arena. Since we just had a new football stadium and a baseball field, I think the taxpayers said "enough already".

piebaldpython
March 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I just heard Payton Manning is no longer with the Colts and I'm sure we'd take him as well.

Why would anybody take "a disability waiting to happen " Peyton Manning? Who would contract for him realizing that one good jolt on that neck puts him on the DL and you have to pay out the rest of the contract??? Or, maybe the question is.....what insurance company would be crazy enough to insure him for a team without specific restrictions for neck injuries?

NWBasser
March 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Why would anybody take "a disability waiting to happen " Peyton Manning? Who would contract for him realizing that one good jolt on that neck puts him on the DL and you have to pay out the rest of the contract??? Or, maybe the question is.....what insurance company would be crazy enough to insure him for a team without specific restrictions for neck injuries?

I agree with this. His injury combined with his age (36) doesn't make him a prime candidate in my book.

My fantasy QB for Seattle would be Brees. However, the very astute sports writers consider Seattle to be something of a rainy backwater in the middle of nowhere and not worthy of consideration for a top-tier QB.

Since we're not worthy of real players, I guess we'll just have to settle for Cletus the slack-jawed yokel for QB.

R_of_G
March 7th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I think we'd take Brees in Kansas City. I just heard Payton Manning is no longer with the Colts and I'm sure we'd take him as well.

The latter is far more realistic of a scenario. Though Brees and the Saints aren't done negotiating yet, he's been franchise tagged, he's not going anywhere. Even for a player of Brees' skills, the price is too high to pay for any team to trade for him.

Manning on the other hand is a free agent and Kansas City has got to be considered one of the more legitimate possibilities for a landing spot for him. I don't think he's a long term solution for anyone being 36 and coming off of neck surgery, but the truth is, every QB is one hit away from oblivion. It's the nature of a violent sport like football no matter how much Emperor Goodell tries to obfuscate that with suspensions. If Peyton can still throw the ball, I could see a team look at him as a short-term possibility. It'll sell tickets, that's for sure. That said, neither of my teams (Jets, Bucs) need to get involved in the chase.

NWBasser
March 7th, 2012, 05:33 PM
The latter is far more realistic of a scenario. Though Brees and the Saints aren't done negotiating yet, he's been franchise tagged, he's not going anywhere. Even for a player of Brees' skills, the price is too high to pay for any team to trade for him.

Manning on the other hand is a free agent and Kansas City has got to be considered one of the more legitimate possibilities for a landing spot for him. I don't think he's a long term solution for anyone being 36 and coming off of neck surgery, but the truth is, every QB is one hit away from oblivion. It's the nature of a violent sport like football no matter how much Emperor Goodell tries to obfuscate that with suspensions. If Peyton can still throw the ball, I could see a team look at him as a short-term possibility. It'll sell tickets, that's for sure. That said, neither of my teams (Jets, Bucs) need to get involved in the chase.

I fully realize that Brees is locked up for next season. I was wishing for something beyond that.

However, I do think the Jets need to get involved in a chase for a new QB now that it's demonstrated that Sanchez is a failure of epic proportions. Perhaps not Manning, but they do need to find someone who can keep their head in the game better than Sanchez. At any rate, I can't see Manning working very well with Rex Ryan.

Eric
March 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I guess my best explanation would be that it takes a winning team to divert people away from summer activities like backpacking, sailing, etc. Seattle is packed with Subarus adorned with roof racks carrying bikes, kayaks, and other outdoor toys. During football season, there are far less distractions unless you're really into skiing which means lots of incredibly devoted football fans. That would apply to high school and college teams as well.

So far as basketball, there were a lot of very devoted fans of the Sonics, but nobody wanted to spring for a new arena. Since we just had a new football stadium and a baseball field, I think the taxpayers said "enough already".
That makes a lot of sense and kind of sheds some light on the sports scene. Thanks for the input.

R_of_G
March 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I fully realize that Brees is locked up for next season. I was wishing for something beyond that.

However, I do think the Jets need to get involved in a chase for a new QB now that it's demonstrated that Sanchez is a failure of epic proportions. Perhaps not Manning, but they do need to find someone who can keep their head in the game better than Sanchez. At any rate, I can't see Manning working very well with Rex Ryan.

I agree with you 100% that the long term QB solution for the Jets isn't Sanchez. While Peyton, if healthy, would be a far better short term solution, I don't think the 2012 Jets are a QB away from a title, even if that QB is Peyton Manning. Put him on the 2009 Jets and it's a different story, but the current team needs depth at a lot of key positions more than it needs a superstar QB. What that answer is still eludes me. I'd like to see an open competition in camp between Sanchez, Greg McElroy, and either a free agent vet or a later round draft pick from this draft. Then again, the new offensive coordinator is Tony Sparano and I have no faith in him either.

marnold
March 8th, 2012, 09:08 AM
As a Lions fan it is rather nice to not have to think about wanting a quarterback.

R_of_G
March 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I haven't read anything about it so I don't know if the possibility is being discussed or not, but I kinda hope Houston gets involved in the Manning sweepstakes. Seems to me like it'd be a good fit, and I can't even imagine how productive Manning could be throwing to Andre Johnson.

R_of_G
March 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM
One more note about Peyton Manning. He handled his departure from Indianapolis with as much class and dignity as I've seen from a professional athlete. The entire 2011 season had to be a surreal experience for Manning, forced to sit out while the only team he's ever known becomes the joke of the NFL and winds up in a position to draft the most hyped QB prospect since Manning himself. Given the way Jim Irsay handled the situation, Peyton had a right to be bitter and resentful, but he put that aside and made the presser about how much the team and city have done for him. Wherever he winds up, I'd like to see him come back and play three or four more years at a high level. It's good for the league.

piebaldpython
March 8th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Manning should just retire. He was out an ENTIRE season because of his neck....so the neck itself must have been very serious. One shot off a moderate legit hit and it's Gerber baby food for Peyton.

It just isn't worth the risk. Maybe he can replace Gruden at ESPN???

marnold
March 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Manning should just retire. He was out an ENTIRE season because of his neck....so the neck itself must have been very serious. One shot off a moderate legit hit and it's Gerber baby food for Peyton.

Except you don't know that. If the doctors cleared him and said he can't damage it any further, I don't know why he shouldn't play. Realistically, every pro football player is one hit away from paralysis. Any pro athlete is taking a calculated risk.

Of course, so is any team that would sign him. I'd want to get a lot of doctors looking at him. I'd also have to have a team that is ready to win now.

R_of_G
March 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Except you don't know that. If the doctors cleared him and said he can't damage it any further, I don't know why he shouldn't play. Realistically, every pro football player is one hit away from paralysis. Any pro athlete is taking a calculated risk.

Of course, so is any team that would sign him. I'd want to get a lot of doctors looking at him. I'd also have to have a team that is ready to win now.

This is how I see it as well. His doctors know better than I do what the extent of the injury and his recovery. If they say he's physically able to play football, more power to him.

We've all seen far too many times (one time being too many) how a single hit can end the career of even the healthiest of players. As a Lions' fan, I'm sure you'll never forget the image of Mike Utley being carted off the field. As a Jets' fan, I can clearly remember the split second that ended Dennis Byrd's career.

marnold
March 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
As a Lions' fan, I'm sure you'll never forget the image of Mike Utley being carted off the field.

Yep. I can still see the replay in my head. Same thing with Billy Sims' knee injury, although that was far less life-altering.

NWBasser
March 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM
This is how I see it as well. His doctors know better than I do what the extent of the injury and his recovery. If they say he's physically able to play football, more power to him.

We've all seen far too many times (one time being too many) how a single hit can end the career of even the healthiest of players. As a Lions' fan, I'm sure you'll never forget the image of Mike Utley being carted off the field. As a Jets' fan, I can clearly remember the split second that ended Dennis Byrd's career.

Then there's, of course, the infamous Thiesman leg break.

I just read now that the Seahawks will be going after Manning. Though I highly doubt their chances of success.

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'd chime in but my knowledge is mostly 90s and prior. Ok, I'll chime in anyway. What I do know is that Seattle had a proud following for their teams. Pretty loyal fans. But I do not think it is like Cleveland and the Browns or anything like that. Things changed in the 90s and into the 00s. But sports overall changed during those times as well.

One positive is that my nephew (who is a BIG Seahawks and Sounders (soccer) fan) says that wearing his Sounders gear will now generate a conversation formally reserved for the Seahawks.

One other thing, back in the day, The Seattle Supersonics were king. They, of course, were there before both the Seahawks and the Mariners, and are the only team to bring home the title.

As far as being a Mariners fan, other than the Cinderella mid-90s, it has been pretty tough to be a Mariners fan. We have had some well loved players over the years though.

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Whoa!! I cracked 10k posts a couple posts ago! Didn't even notice!