PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a new Taylor owner

Rockinghorse Winner
March 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Hi, all. I recently added a 310ce to my only other guitar, an Epiphone PR325S that I have been abusing (both physically and musically) the past 20 years. Now I am learning how to play a 'good' guitar, and man, what a difference a good 'player' makes. The 310 is just musical all by itself, and it seems to draw the music out of me like the Epi never did.

I am also on a mission to restore the PR325S, and am waiting for new gears to arrive, so I can put new strings on, having done all I can do with the laminate surface of the body, neck and head stock.

Not having been in a music store for ages, I was surprised at how good instruments are these days, even the less expensive models. This, I can see, can only lead to trouble going forward - for my bank account and in it's claims on my free time. :)

I have been reading with interest the various posts in this and other forums. Sure like looking at all the nice axes, and listening to some of the mp3's others have uploaded. There are many talented players here. I hope to learn all I can while here, while contributing when I think I could add something to the discussion.

My musical tastes run electic, and if I had to give a short list of musical interests at the moment, I would say Gram Parsons, Pink Floyd, the Decemberists, and Doomtree.

I don't have any amps as yet, though thinking about a cheap acoustic amp. I have also thought about using my hifi amp (a tubed, 60 watt job) as some kind of amp, though I'd prolly need to consider the impedence of the output from the guitar before running it in.

Terry from Southern California

Glacies
March 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the Fret!

Monkus
March 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Welcome !!

Tig
March 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Welcome to The Fret! :wave:

Yes, there are so many really good guitars and amps in the sub $400 range to choose from, it can make for a difficult choice. Dig around here and ask questions when you are trying to figure out what to buy next. Be warned: We are enablers, so hanging around here is like holding an AA meeting at a bar.

Glacies
March 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
LOL Tig - that's a perfect way to describe you guys... "enablers"

Oh yeah, Rockinghorse, we like eyecandy. So post gear pics often!

hubberjub
March 8th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Welcome. I have a 310ce too. I hope you enjoy yours.

bcdon
March 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hey Terry, welcome aboard! :dude

Rockinghorse Winner
March 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks, all!

riverrick
March 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Welcome to the Fret. And congrats on the new Taylor. I have a 315...love it!!!

Rockinghorse Winner
March 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Glacies, I will take you up on your suggestion. I got through with the PR325 project today. Put on new (generic, off Amazon) tuning pegs, a set of Martin SP lights, and cleaned and polished it up as well as I could (It's 20 years old, and never saw the inside of a case). FWIW, here is the guitar in it's current state. Been playing it, and it plays really well, so I'm very pleased.

Terry

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0By1rtGepOBy7Wkl3MVRUYVhUdHl4cFEtY1lJOWJZd w

FrankenFretter
March 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Welcome to The Fret!

ahrefony
August 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I've been looking for this article, and today, finally found the, you share it.

fabiolovestea
August 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hi I am new to forums but have been playing guitar for a couple years now. I have a Martin which is in great shape although it is a 2004 and I got it used! I also have a fender squire and a couple other beaters. I'm glad to be apart of the guitar community now!!!

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hi Terry! Welcome! Glad to hear about your new Taylor and your old Epi. I bet it is cool! Have fun!

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2012, 08:51 AM
LOL Tig - that's a perfect way to describe you guys... "enablers"

Oh yeah, Rockinghorse, we like eyecandy. So post gear pics often!

Hey, what do you mean "you guys". I seem to remember seeing you around here for a while now. :poke:AOK