PDA

View Full Version : Spookbox CD demo

deeaa
March 8th, 2012, 07:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twiWwYC4rYc

Duffy
March 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM
That was really nice. I liked the really professional looking cd product. The artwork was great, nothing sub-standard about that. The band sounded very good to begin with. Where did you record that? At your personal studio or at a commercial place? Very nice job. I also liked the way you jammed along to the overview of the cd. You made it look easy. They say being able to make it look effortless is a mark of a master musician - or is it a step along the way? I would like to see your
aluminium top guitar in action. "Stratoblaster". That's cool. I bet that is a mixture of different ideas and objectives. I didn't see you use the whammy bar though. I wouldn't be surprised if you sell a lot of those cd's at your gigs, etc. That is unless you have one of those micro-manager managers that controls all the action. I thought that whole thing was very professionally done. Good luck with it. It looks like this particular band/project has moved to another level.

deeaa
March 10th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks Duffy...actually it is a 'live' recording thru and thru...consists of three sessions recorded at our training facility on an 8-track zoom recorder, and then mixed in cubase.....

Duffy
March 10th, 2012, 04:20 AM
What type of training facility would that be? Community, school, work? Is that like a recreational center or something like that.

The live recording sounds good. No problem there. Who did the cd art? Was this a production graphic arts place or done by yourselves?

deeaa
March 10th, 2012, 05:25 AM
What type of training facility would that be? Community, school, work? Is that like a recreational center or something like that.

The live recording sounds good. No problem there. Who did the cd art? Was this a production graphic arts place or done by yourselves?

It's a room in the basement of an apartment building, or rather, the building's garage. We rent it with another band, and have set up up our gear so that each band gets half the space...you can see it well in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfIuzu-fSgY&list=UUblit35vurL8o6rY8DkB5uw&index=23&feature=plcp

That song is also on the CD, but another take.

Definitely not the best space for recording, concrete walls etc, but it's cheap, everyone pays about $10 a month and we can use it as much as we like and any time. There's also a fridge and outside the room there's this larger area with a sofa and ashtray and all kinds of stuff belonging to people living there; lots of bikes & parts, chainsaws, piles of power & handtools&toolboxes, somebody's BB gun and targets...you name it. What you would expect to find in such commonroom/basement of an apartment building. The only real lack is no toilet at all...but there's a sink outside.

Plus it's super convenient for me, as I live two blocks away, literally a few hundred yards, maybe a dozen houses between.

Anyway, the great thing is we can always keep the mics placed there just the same every time, and we don't really change anything about our sounds either, so I could keep mixing the material after every practice.
And when the final recordings were done, it was largely a matter of dropping it to cubase and I had ready-made mix for it waiting...just tidied up beginnings and endings etc...all the compressors and track EQ's had already been adjusted long before.

The cover is also done by me, like pretty much everything...the guys let me kinda do all the work concerning the band but it suits me fine, as long as they pay their parts of the costs :-)
However the front cover photo was made way better than I had originally by Syo from right here TheFret...I've done quite a bit of graphic work too but his changes really brought the picture to another level.

marnold
March 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
See Dee play all of your favorite licks in amazing Groin-O-Vision! :)

deeaa
March 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM
LOL I thought of the same...in different words tho.