PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Playing in Time

Rockinghorse Winner
March 8th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, I just installed audacity into my laptop, and started experimenting with recording. It's a lot of fun, and interesting, but I seem to have a problem keeping the individual tracks in the same time signature. Each track is either behind or in front of the others. I am listening to the song as I dub each part, but I can never get it exactly right. Is this just something that comes with practice, or are there any techniques that can improve my timing?

I guess the problem is that I rarely play with other musicians, so I am not disciplined in the matter of keeping time.

Terry

Ch0jin
March 8th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Not sure on your Audacity issue specifically, but the thing that improved my timing massively and very quickly was when I bought my first looper. (Boss RC-2)

Being able to record my own backing tracks, even if it's only two chords to solo over, with built in drums and loop quantisation (sp) that automagically puts everything in perfect timing helped me sooooo much. After a few months jamming with the looper you WILL improve timing.

Jamming with others will also help a lot, as long as you have a drummer who can keep time of course!

I've since moved on to a Boomerang 3 looper which doesn't automatically fix your timing, so I've had to become even more aware of my timing to make great loops.

If you don't want to splash the cash on a looper (but do, seriously, they are one of the best guitar training tools ever) play along to backing tracks. They are readily available all over the net and are a lot more fun than the last resort, which is using a metronome.

omegadot
March 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I usually just YouTube backing tracks. Fast easy and effective.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

R_of_G
March 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM
The best ways I've found to improve my timing skills are (a) practice with a metronome, (b) practice along with backing tracks and/or drum machine, (c) play as often as possible with other people. Timing takes a lot of work. Keep practicing. You'll get it.

marnold
March 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Hey guys, I just installed audacity into my laptop, and started experimenting with recording. It's a lot of fun, and interesting, but I seem to have a problem keeping the individual tracks in the same time signature. Each track is either behind or in front of the others. I am listening to the song as I dub each part, but I can never get it exactly right.

If the entire track is consistently the same amount off, you have a latency issue. I haven't played to a backing track via Audacity in a while, but I remember when I did, I'd have to shift the entire part I played a very small amount forward in time. If it's jumping ahead or behind or not consistent, then it's you :)

Rockinghorse Winner
March 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Not sure on your Audacity issue specifically, but the thing that improved my timing massively and very quickly was when I bought my first looper. (Boss RC-2)

Being able to record my own backing tracks, even if it's only two chords to solo over, with built in drums and loop quantisation (sp) that automagically puts everything in perfect timing helped me sooooo much. After a few months jamming with the looper you WILL improve timing.

Jamming with others will also help a lot, as long as you have a drummer who can keep time of course!

I've since moved on to a Boomerang 3 looper which doesn't automatically fix your timing, so I've had to become even more aware of my timing to make great loops.

If you don't want to splash the cash on a looper (but do, seriously, they are one of the best guitar training tools ever) play along to backing tracks. They are readily available all over the net and are a lot more fun than the last resort, which is using a metronome.

Wow, that's awesome. I have to look up that thing. It sounds great. I also discovered 'click tracks!' That enabled me to at least get a handle on the timing. I even made something that sounds like a song. I am so stoked about audacity. :dance

Thanks a lot for the info. Right now I'm SOOC (no dough), so I'll have to wait until I work some more overtime. :)

Rockinghorse Winner
March 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I will look up some backing tracks on the net. Who knew?! Are these 'free use,' or just for practice purposes? Anyway, it's more rewarding to work out your own backing tracks, I think.

Ch0jin
March 11th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I will look up some backing tracks on the net. Who knew?! Are these 'free use,' or just for practice purposes? Anyway, it's more rewarding to work out your own backing tracks, I think.

Usually backing tracks are free use as far as I know, but yeah, I only use them for practice. Another fun use though is collaboration. We've done a few here actually, where someone creates (or finds) a nice long backer and we all have a go at playing lead over it.

Anyway, yes it absolutely is more rewarding creating your own backing tracks! However if you just want a "quick fix" to jam with, backing tracks made by someone else are very quick and easy.

Rockinghorse Winner
March 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Usually backing tracks are free use as far as I know, but yeah, I only use them for practice. Another fun use though is collaboration. We've done a few here actually, where someone creates (or finds) a nice long backer and we all have a go at playing lead over it.

Yes, that sounds cool.

I found what I was searching for: simple drum tracks in a variety of speeds, from 70-100+ bbm. Now I have what I need to have a go at some tracks.

deeaa
March 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
What you definitely will want later is something like EZDrummer, and some kind of DAW software. Then you can just drag and drop from a great selection of grooves, real played ones, not machine, and play them back with any speed. And if you want, completely build custom songs from those groove beats and/or adding your own with a mouse or whatever. Or just have your computer play any loop at any speed, from bossanova to dozens of rock variations and whatnot.

Well recommend EZDrummer...best demo/practice drummer imaginable, but also good and flexible enough so that you can literally make CD releases with it. At least check it out from YouTube or something.

Rockinghorse Winner
March 21st, 2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, bro. Will be checking it out, shortly.

rexreo7
July 7th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Now i am also going to installed audacity.

Rex

jadecantrellbonner
May 7th, 2014, 08:41 AM
R_of_G has some great advice. I would definitely back up what he said. Keep trying and Keep practicing.

tonedeaf
February 13th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Defenitely metronome (http://www.metronomezone.com/)! That's your backbone right there.