PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about tubes, Does the cost really make a sound difference?

sixstringdrug
March 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Ok, so this is a general discussion and curiosity thread.

Does the cost of tubes translate to a noticible tone difference to justify the price or is it marketing smoke and mirrors. For example, my amp takes el84 power tubes, and in research and destroy mode i got multiple reviews but none that really made me say "THAT'S THE TUBE FOR ME!!!!" I have always heard good things about JJ's and recently read a lot of good stuff about mullards (at 2x the price). Does it make that big of a difference or is it just percieved. The stock tubes that are in there sound pretty good actually, but I'd like to keep an extra set on hand for the if/when they do go bad. Not really looking for opinions so much as is there really that much seperating the brands, tone/pricewise.

Thanks

Spudman
March 8th, 2012, 09:25 PM
First, what amph are you putting these in?

Some quality can be dependent on cost. JJs are good and within most people's budgets. There are several other brands that cost a little more but offer a difference in sound and maybe touch response. Get the JJs to start with because they sound pretty good and are affordable. Play your amph and then start researching the next set that you want to try in it. You may find that the JJs meet your needs, but having other tubes to swap around can yield sounds that might come closer to what you hear in your head.

msteeln
March 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
As a cost saver, I always research on google and hit up forums to get the best overall info from those who've spent the time and $$$ whittling it down to allow a faster/cheaper/happier experience. Then it's left to your personal taste.

markb
March 9th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I'll also ask what amp...?

You might get the results you want simply by getting a tech to bias your amp to its optimum setting. Some manufacturers adjust their amps too hot or cold for reasons that are beyond me.

Commodore 64
March 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I don't think NOS EL84 are worth the price. EL84 was designed to be a budget tube, and always has been. If a NOS tube lasts a bit longer than a new production, who cares, you can get EL84s for 10 bucks a piece. I've had a lot of different power tubes in my Pro. Jr and Peavey Classic 30, just because I like to tinker. I've used EH, Sovtek, and JJ EL84s. I really don't notice any difference in tone. You get more tone variety messing with pre-amp tubes, since they have different gain factors.

JJ EL84s have recently been flakey (according to some forums that I read). They seem to have run a bad batch. If I were retubing with EL84s right now, I'd look at EH or Sovtek, maybe the mullards. 30 bucks for a pair ain't that bad.

marnold
March 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
JJ EL84s have recently been flakey (according to some forums that I read). They seem to have run a bad batch. If I were retubing with EL84s right now, I'd look at EH or Sovtek, maybe the mullards. 30 bucks for a pair ain't that bad.

I don't know what flakyness you are referring to but the JJs I just got in my Jet City are working great. Is there something I'm supposed to be looking for?

sixstringdrug
March 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM
my amp is a blues jr, american made, best as i can tell its a 96 or 97. still has the stock fender tubes in it, they sound great to me. the previous owner didnt play it much. It was covered in dust when i got it , just if/when they do go bad i want a spare set on hand.

Spudman
March 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
, just if/when they do go bad i want a spare set on hand.

Good thinking.

So if you are in no hurry, do a little research and you'll find some power tubes that will be a good option for that amph and get a few different type of preamp tubes too. All will affect your tone to some degree. After you've played your amph the way it is for a while you might start thinking, "maybe if there was more low end", or "I'd like the top end a bit smoother", or "more mids would be great". You'll have plenty of time to find out what others have done to get there.

And, congrats on the amph.:AOK

Tig
March 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM
my amp is a blues jr, american made, best as i can tell its a 96 or 97. still has the stock fender tubes in it, they sound great to me. the previous owner didnt play it much. It was covered in dust when i got it , just if/when they do go bad i want a spare set on hand.

Ah, now we're talking. Go to the BillM website for all kinds of Blues Jr info and mods.
Here's the section covering tubes: http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=131

sixstringdrug
March 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Tig, thanks for the link. Billm's site is loaded with info and has given me a case of mod envy. There are so many choices and so many opinions on all of them. A friend turned me on to eurotubes.com, I think I'm gonna get a standard retube kit from them just to have a backup. Once I get a few more hours on my new tool, I should have a better idea of where I wanna go and what I want it to do. Then I'll start experimenting with some different tube combos and see if I can get this sound in my head out of my amp. The fun is always in the journey, not the destination. Thanks for your input, here's a photo. Hope it comes up.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l=en_US/p/Organizer/AlbumID=9334689013/s_c=0/s_ru=FALSE/s_se=FDR/s_cmpg=naturalsearch_0105_google#state=%7B%22pl%22 %3A%7B%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A9334689013%2C%22p id%22%3A480710700013%2C%22vp%22%3A%22s%22%2C%22sb% 22%3A5%7D%2C%22ovm%22%3A%7B%22v%22%3A%22s%22%7D%7D

stingx
March 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Bob from Eurotubes is a fantastic and knowledgeable person who will listen to what you want soundwise and offer his expertise in picking out the perfect tubes to achieve that sound out of your amp. I've bought several kits from Eurotubes over the years and the first kit was purchased to completely retube my old Peavey Classic 30. I told him exactly what I wanted - earlier breakup at the expense of overhead with more chime - and that's what I got.

I'm currently working on a retube and speaker swap for my Laney Cub 12R.