PDA

View Full Version : Highway Robbery, NFL Style

marnold
March 9th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I assume those of you who follow the NFL saw the news. The Rams traded the #2 pick to the Redskins for the #6 pick, their second rounder, and their first rounders in 2013 and 2014. Ummm, wow? If Robert Griffin III turns out to be the next Peyton Manning, then this trade will be looked at as a bold move. If he doesn't, we could have a trade of the kind we haven't seen since the Ricky Williams or Hershel Walker deals. The Skins' GM better know/learn how to find value in the later rounds.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36842/redskins-pay-high-price-to-get-their-qb

This does show, though, that the new CBA has had a massive impact on the draft. Detroit couldn't have given away their picks when they drafted Stafford and Suh (personally, I'm glad they couldn't). Now that high draft choices won't be paid more than Pro Bowl starters, those high picks have trade value again. I'd prefer not to return to the days when Detroit got those picks.

R_of_G
March 10th, 2012, 12:50 AM
It's a great deal for the Rams, not so much for the Redskins unless Griffin turns out to be a superstar, which he could but it's three #1s and a #2 is a lot to bank on "could." I remember when the Jets had the #1 pick (and took Keyshawn Johnson). I was hoping they'd trade that pick down for depth, but the Jets never trade down.