PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Vizier

The Grand Vizier
March 10th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Hi to all, Nice to be here I have not been playing for long only a few years & I have a couple of Fender Strats.
Hopefully get to ask a question or three & pick up some great advice from you all.
I come from the Land Down Under.
Cheers.:hungry

Spudman
March 10th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Welcome to thefret GV.

markb
March 10th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Hi there, Grand Vizier.

R_of_G
March 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Welcome aboard GV.
Your name a reference to the Ottoman Empire or the Pink Floyd song?

bcdon
March 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I come from the Land Down Under.
Cheers.:hungry

Welcome to The Fret! You'll find a number of Southerners here. :dude

The Grand Vizier
March 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Welcome aboard GV.
Your name a reference to the Ottoman Empire or the Pink Floyd song?
Thanks for the welcome all:socool
The name is reference to an early Floyd song from Ummagumma R_of_G

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Welcome! This is a great place.

Tig
March 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Great Vizier! We speak Oz and Floyd here. :socool

Cheers from Texas :beer:

The Grand Vizier
March 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Great Vizier! We speak Oz and Floyd here. :socool

Cheers from Texas :beer:

I see you have a Hell guitar No.2 Tig, I am looking at them with great interest, have you compared with the Squier Classic Vibe Tele?
Would sound horn with the Bare Knuckles I would think!!
I am not real big on buying before I try a guitar, its a long way to send back from Oz!!

Tig
March 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I see you have a Hell guitar No.2 Tig, I am looking at them with great interest, have you compared with the Squier Classic Vibe Tele?
Would sound horn with the Bare Knuckles I would think!!
I am not real big on buying before I try a guitar, its a long way to send back from Oz!!

I've played many different Tele's from Classic Vibes to MIM's, American Specials, and American Standards.
The CV's were pretty good for the price, if a slight bit ice-picky at the bridge pickup. The CV's (Tele's and Strat's) are a must try before you buy due to the occasional quality inconsistency. The American Special Tele's sounded even better than the American Standards, yet had all of the build quality. Their Texas Special pickups became the mark to compare other to.

I bought the No.2 after watching Robert Renman (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/)'s demo's and listening to the Bare Knuckle sound samples on their website. Mine has "The Boss" Tele pickups, and I couldn't be more pleased. They sound better than any Tele pickup I've ever heard. They have a an improved bass and mid range, retain the sparkle of a true Tele, and never come close to any ice pick shrill. They are wound just a little hotter than vintage so they can rock hard, and then play pure country clean or jazz.

The quality of the Hell 2 is also incredible, especially for the price. Mine was a prototype, and it has been flawless except for a minor loosening of the input jack. It is light, small body, and comfortable. All of the hardware and electronics are of high quality. Michael (Syo) is a pleasure to work with as well. I can't recommend Hell Guitars enough!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3554/5766450473_049025ed97_b.jpg

FrankenFretter
March 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Welcome aboard!

R_of_G
March 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome all:socool
The name is reference to an early Floyd song from Ummagumma R_of_G

That's what I thought. I love Pink Floyd, particularly in that transitional era from the Barrett-led band to being Waters' baby. Good to have you here.

The Grand Vizier
March 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I've played many different Tele's from Classic Vibes to MIM's, American Specials, and American Standards.
The CV's were pretty good for the price, if a slight bit ice-picky at the bridge pickup. The CV's (Tele's and Strat's) are a must try before you buy due to the occasional quality inconsistency. The American Special Tele's sounded even better than the American Standards, yet had all of the build quality. Their Texas Special pickups became the mark to compare other to.

I bought the No.2 after watching Robert Renman (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/)'s demo's and listening to the Bare Knuckle sound samples on their website. Mine has "The Boss" Tele pickups, and I couldn't be more pleased. They sound better than any Tele pickup I've ever heard. They have a an improved bass and mid range, retain the sparkle of a true Tele, and never come close to any ice pick shrill. They are wound just a little hotter than vintage so they can rock hard, and then play pure country clean or jazz.

The quality of the Hell 2 is also incredible, especially for the price. Mine was a prototype, and it has been flawless except for a minor loosening of the input jack. It is light, small body, and comfortable. All of the hardware and electronics are of high quality. Michael (Syo) is a pleasure to work with as well. I can't recommend Hell Guitars enough!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3554/5766450473_049025ed97_b.jpg

That is one sweet looking guitar.
I have checked out Roberts demo's of the Hell guitars, very good as per usual from him.
Thanks for your info:D

The Grand Vizier
March 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM
That's what I thought. I love Pink Floyd, particularly in that transitional era from the Barrett-led band to being Waters' baby. Good to have you here.

Only had the chance to see them live once but it was an experience I won't forget, Gilmour's solos are amazing!!!!
Cheers.

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Welcome!

Ch0jin
March 11th, 2012, 10:44 PM
H'mm another Australian. I'm going to have to start ensuring the facts I drop about the place are actually correct now :)

Welcome aboard TGV! Where you at in Oz? I'm in Sydney.

On the topic of Hell Guitars, I have a ZeroDot (Maybe the first one to come down this way) and it's a great guitar. I also play two high end Maton electrics and I can honestly say that so far at least, I can't think of anything in the ZeroDot I'd want to upgrade, which makes them amazing value considering they are like 1/3 the price of my Matons......

The Grand Vizier
March 12th, 2012, 12:46 AM
H'mm another Australian. I'm going to have to start ensuring the facts I drop about the place are actually correct now :)

Welcome aboard TGV! Where you at in Oz? I'm in Sydney.

On the topic of Hell Guitars, I have a ZeroDot (Maybe the first one to come down this way) and it's a great guitar. I also play two high end Maton electrics and I can honestly say that so far at least, I can't think of anything in the ZeroDot I'd want to upgrade, which makes them amazing value considering they are like 1/3 the price of my Matons......

Thanks for all the welcomes folks.:)
Ch0jin I will have to keep you in check digger. You know how much us Ozzies like to stretch the truth:rollover
I am up in the Sunshine State sweating my butt off.
I'm not sure which way I will go for my next guitar the Hell guitars are very tasty for the price & Michael seems like a decent bloke going by the emails I have received from him. Have to sell a guitar first anyways as I didn't work hard enough this summer. HaHa.

R_of_G
March 12th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Only had the chance to see them live once but it was an experience I won't forget, Gilmour's solos are amazing!!!!
Cheers.

Cool. I've yet to have the chance to see Gilmour play, though I'm a big fan. I did see Roger Waters a few years ago which was also pretty cool. While his guitarists were good, neither one was quite Gilmour.

The Grand Vizier
March 13th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Cool. I've yet to have the chance to see Gilmour play, though I'm a big fan. I did see Roger Waters a few years ago which was also pretty cool. While his guitarists were good, neither one was quite Gilmour.

I don't think Floyd would be Floyd without Gilmour thats for sure!!!! Sad about Richard Wright to, the blend of his & Gilmours voice was a perfect match. Did you see the Wall with Roger Waters?
If you have not listened to this album before by D.G. check it out :dance http://music.yahoo.com/david-gilmour/albums/david-gilmour--50780014

R_of_G
March 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I don't think Floyd would be Floyd without Gilmour thats for sure!!!! Sad about Richard Wright to, the blend of his & Gilmours voice was a perfect match.

I have a fondness for the Barrett-era Floyd as well, but I agree, Gilmour's guitar and voice are crucial elements of the "classic" Pink Floyd sound. However, I don't think it's Floyd without Waters either, which is why I've never seen the Waters-less Floyd when they've toured.

Did you see the Wall with Roger Waters?
Nope. I saw the previous tour when he toured Dark Side of the Moon as the second set of his show. The first set contained a mix of Floyd songs and his solo stuff.

If you have not listened to this album before by D.G. check it out :dance http://music.yahoo.com/david-gilmour/albums/david-gilmour--50780014

Oh, I have that one. The other solo one as well. His playing is superb.

guitartango
March 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the Fret Good choice of music and name, as you can see from my location I must be a Floyd fan.

The Grand Vizier
March 16th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the Fret Good choice of music and name, as you can see from my location I must be a Floyd fan.

Cheers guitartango,A Cambridge lad eh!! You would no doubt have Floyd in your blood!!!

guitartango
March 17th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Cheers guitartango,A Cambridge lad eh!! You would no doubt have Floyd in your blood!!!

Well I drive through Grantchester meadows and on to hills road...... both well known Floyd places. If only I could play like Gilmour !

Shine on.