PDA

View Full Version : Smooth bridge pickup?

Cranium
December 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hey guys, I currently have the Dimarzio VV Solo Pro in the bridge position of my strat and its not as smooth as I expected (it still have those annoying bridge pickup highs). I want an Eric Johnson like sound, I know he uses the HS-2 but I'm curious if anyone knows any other good pickup that sounds smooth in the bridge position (ofcourse I realize this also depends on other things, the HS-2 will probably also sound twangy in the bridge position without the Plexi).

Spudman
December 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Experiment with the pickup height if you haven't. That could change everything. Start with it low maybe flush to the pickguard, play it, listen, then raise each side 1 complete screw turn only, play some more and listen.

New pickups these days are pretty versatile and in some cases on a few of my guitars I have found that lowering my pups was the secret to better sound.

Cranium
December 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I already tried that, I just want to get rid of the twangy sound and get a smoother fatter sound, I might try the VV Solo or the Heavy Blues 2.

Spudman
December 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM
If you want fat in a Strat single coil then FS3 or Tone Zone, or JB or Hot Rail.

Cranium
December 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I have a JB humbucker in my Ibanez and I dislike it, I want something smooth, somewhat transparent but not thin sounding and without fuzzy bass that alot of pickups have, also without the twang, also somewhat vintage sounding.

duhvoodooman
December 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe you should go with a vintage humbucker, like a Duncan '59 or Seth Lover.

Or maybe you should just play from the neck p'up!! ;) :DR

Spudman
December 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I have a JB humbucker in my Ibanez and I dislike it, I want something smooth, somewhat transparent but not thin sounding and without fuzzy bass that alot of pickups have, also without the twang, also somewhat vintage sounding.

59 should do it. If you don't like it you'll have no problems getting most of your money back out of it if not all of it.

Cranium
December 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I always play the neck pickup, that is why I'm searching for a smooth, not twangy or thin bridge pickup. I was actualy looking for a single coil but since I'm not satisfied with the my bridge humbucker in my Ibanez either, I will look into the 59' and Seth Lover HB's.

DVM if you know of any single coil pickup that sound like I described, please let me know. Like I said before, I'm looking for an Eric Johnson like sound from my bridge pickup.

Tim
December 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Visit the Seymour Duncan website and read the ton of suggestions there. Use "search" to find posts related to smooth, warm and jazz tone questions. There are a few guys who will even help you if you post the question.

Go here; http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/index.php?s=

I put the SD "Cool Rails" in my Strat and got a real smooth tone.

God luck with your search.

Tinky-Winky
December 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Cranium, is your bridge pickup connected to a tone pot? I know that to get his sound Eric Johnson turns the tone down - maybe that's why you're not getting his sound.

Cranium
December 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Good idea Tinky, I will try that (now just got to figure out which wire to rewire :).

Moshe
December 13th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Yes, you MUST roll the tone off a bridge pup. This helps a lot. Also, you may love that sweet neck pup sound at home, but sometimes it gets lost when you play with other people.

Cranium
December 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
What do you mean "lost"?

Moshe
December 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM
What do you mean "lost"?

Its just harder to be heard, you blend in with the bass and stuff. At least thats what happens with me sometimes.

t_ross33
December 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Its just harder to be heard, you blend in with the bass and stuff. At least thats what happens with me sometimes.

That's something I'm learning a lot about lately. What sounds "capital A" Awesome when you're noodling around at home just doesn't have the same punch at practice or a gig. Each instrument needs to be EQ'd to have enough separation in the mix so everything "sits" where it needs to. The total effect being greater than the sum of its parts.

But isolate the guitar and the mids sound like nails on a chalkboard. Takes a practiced ear to do a good mix.

Mine, er... not so practiced ;)