PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Tweaker crowd

Radioboy950
March 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM
In looking for a new combo, I completely forgot that Egnater released a 40watt, 2-channel version of the Tweaker.
At $688 (with current online promo discount), this seems like a KILLER amp for the money.
Looks super-versatile, and I love the Celestion G12H30 speaker. They made a more powerful 50watt version for this amp.

Did the Tweaker (any version in the product range) live up to your expectations...?????

Likes/dislikes??

Thanks for any input

Ch0jin
March 13th, 2012, 02:05 AM
haha 31 people thought this thread was about meth and left disappointed..... :)

The Grand Vizier
March 13th, 2012, 02:32 AM
In looking for a new combo, I completely forgot that Egnater released a 40watt, 2-channel version of the Tweaker.
At $688 (with current online promo discount), this seems like a KILLER amp for the money.
Looks super-versatile, and I love the Celestion G12H30 speaker. They made a more powerful 50watt version for this amp.

Did the Tweaker (any version in the product range) live up to your expectations...?????

Likes/dislikes??

Thanks for any input

I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 & love it, I went through a few amps looking for something that worked well at home volumes, they have a multitude of tones & are highly Tweakable! No dislikes from this kid, I was reading a review of the Tweaker 88 and the Egnater Vengeance this morning while eating brekky & they both got top marks as well, but out of my league, $2450 for the Vengeance head in Oz, Ouch!!!

RobQ
March 13th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Personally I dig the Rebel 30. Spectacular amp for the dough.

Radioboy950
March 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM
haha 31 people thought this thread was about meth and left disappointed..... :)
:rollover

Katastrophe
March 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I've played through a few Egnater amphs (not the Tweaker, though, it hadn't come out yet), and I gotta tell ya that I loved the tones that I got in every one. I would buy a Tweaker just off of Egnater's reputation, and from the tones that I've gotten through other amphs.

Just a bit of warning though. If you ever play an American Deluxe Tele through a Rebel head cranked, with the tube mix in the middle, you'll be done for. I barely escaped the GAS with my wallet intact.

Tig
March 13th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I've had mine for 2 years and still love it. It takes time based pedals nicely thanks to the effects loop. The versatility is huge, too. Glassy cleans, sweet crunch, classic metal, with a good amount of headroom for 15 watts.

Being cathode biased, you can even change out the 6v6 tube pair to EL34, 6L6, KT88, 6550, or 5881 for different flavors. There's enough room in the head, unlike the Rebel's space. I might give some EL34's a try for a bit of feisty Marshall roar. 6L6's for a smoother, warmer tone.

Blaze
March 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Went by this short clip , this morning (Facebook connection needed) of the 15 watts..
Sounds realy good ..
The 40 watts would be my choice mostly for gigs , it has 2 channels ,wich are the same, so you can set a clean and a dirt channel,
but the 40 is probably pretty loud , so a switch to get 15 watts would be a cool tweak for small gigs..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=583778756074

kidsmoke
September 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
resurrecting an aging thread. my AAS is reaching a debilitating level, eyes hurt, carpal tunnel is affecting my guitar playing, yet it continues to grow unabated.....

Tweaker 15, Head and Cab. Seems like a super versatile rig, not too loud, but small room gigable.

Tig...hows the durability? Are there issues with it? You have a combo? Thead? or head with cab? Do you lug it around at all or does it stay stationary. creamy overdrive attainable? I saw you wrote high gain metal sounds are, but that's not a goal. Also...over in DVM's AC15 thread...you mention your SCXD as a nice approximation....doesn't this amp aim for the territory as well? And?

One for sale pretty reasonably...with the cab, the Celestion speaker inside. Less expensive than some other options I've been considering...

Anyone else have thoughts on the 15?

Tig
September 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
The head is 2 1/2 years without a single issue, but it stays put. It just touches classic metal tones with the Hot boost switch on, but it isn't a metal amp until you push it with pedals. I like running a fuzz into it instead.

The SCX2 (2 is the newer version) is still my number 1 amp. I've been messing with it more lately and getting some great Tweed Deluxe warm to driven tones. It's Vox setting it also hard to beat. I enjoy the various super clean Fender settings as well for rockabilly playing.

I'll keep the Tweaker, because it is such a sweet amp and I like running it with or without pedals. I need a second cab so I can run both amps at the same time instead of swapping either or. I just have the Epiphone Valve Jr cab (Eminence Lady Luck), which is hard to top unless I go with a pricey Alnico speaker.

Duffy
September 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I had a Tweaker 15 and it was a decent amp. I played it either thru my Epi cab like Tig's or my Epi So. Cal. four by twelve. It malfunctioned on me, blowing the fuze and tube. The replacement tube got so hot that it burnt the paint off of it. Instead of getting it fixed under the warranty I sent it back to the company and was very lucky to get my purchase price applied toward a Peavey 6505+ combo that is also a good amp for high gain and ultra high gain, super loud stuff.

This is probably too heavy for you but I'll describe it anyway. The SCX2 is cool but this isn't one of those. What I have found is that I really like this new amp I bought about six months ago, brand new. It is a Marshall JMD-1, two twelve combo. It has two different Celestion speakers in it. Marshall is only making them on special orders now and has discontinued normal distribution of them. The big places are still blowing them out. You might be able to get one for the price of a Tweaker and a cabinet. They were around 1500 before the discounted blow out prices.

It is a hundred watt amp with four EL 34's in the power section. The preamps are digital and it comes with an awesome foot pedal that connects with a regular guitar cable but is totally powerful and awesome. It models probably over sixteen Marshall amps only - just Marshall amp models. It has some excellent effects including a great tap delay and a good reverb, plus others.

One particular thing that you can do with it that I like is turn it down to whisper bedroom level and it still has the tones, overdrive, etc. It has a master volume. This makes it nice. Each amp model has about five channels that you can use as preset or modify and save, plus manual and the straight up model. So it has a lot of channels to choose from. The presets work like channels and are foot switchable. It is an awesome amp in the opinion of many owners and a bargain at the blow out prices. Here is a link to a place selling them that I have no financial or friendly association with:

http://www.wwbw.com/Marshall-JMD1-Series-JMD102-100W-2x12-Digital-Guitar-Combo-Amp-423471-i2603472.wwbw

Sweetwater has the head for about the same price:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JMD100H

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy330/1Duffy1/DV016_Jpg_Large_423471_V.jpg

This is a very decent amp that you can get a lot of great tone out of and it is very versitile, covering the history of Marshall amps sort of, and tweakable. It is not at all like a Tweaker 15, but I thought you might not be aware of it and could possibly be interested in something like this.

This would probably be a stationary amp for you but would be able to cover a lot of territory and also be able to whisper or wail.